WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I love my Steinhart Ocean 1 GMT Blue Red - love it! But let's be honest, Steinhart lume is... inconsistent. The lume on this guy sucks. The hands are ok, but the hour plots are very inconsistent with respect to the hands and other plots. So despite my aversion to modding, I'm sending 'er off to Mr Kent Parks for some lume love. Going to go with the BGW9 for some blue action. I know the green X1 is the brightest and longest lasting, but blue is my favorite.

Here's the before shot - I'll repost in a couple months when it returns. The pics a bit shoddy, but it's the best representation of how it appears to human eyes (my camera was making the lume look great!). This was right after a charge under the ole light.
steinLum_before.jpg

I've recorded the settings and will do an identical shot after. VERY excited!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Yeah, I think its a good choice too, I would also like to know what it would cost to do this, I would like to do it to my Apollon, its the same way you can see the hands fine but the rest is ehh.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wouldn't call it cheap, especially if you're a Canadian right now... But from what I've read, he is the man you want to talk to. As I painfully learned recently, you get what you pay for when it comes to watch service.

I won't list it all here, best to talk to Kent himself (Google Everest Watchworks), but a dial costs $114, hands $38. It goes up from there based on options (GMT hands, pressure testing, X1 grade lume, etc).

It's a lot of cash for a $500 watch, but I've decided to put my Rolex GMT dreams to rest until I reach a worthy milestone. So might as well fully enjoy the Steiny.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
This is a question I have been waiting to ask: Approximately how much does it add to the production cost of a watch like the one above for the company to use GREAT lume like Omega does? My Omega 50th GMT Seamaster's lume was just phenomenal. Why can't all diver style watches be like that, is it cost?

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is a question I have been waiting to ask: Approximately how much does it add to the production cost of a watch like the one above for the company to use GREAT lume like Omega does? My Omega 50th GMT Seamaster's lume was just phenomenal. Why can't all diver style watches be like that, is it cost?
That's a great question! It has to be money, but is it that much of a bottleneck? Especially considering what Seiko does with their far cheaper SKX line. I suppose Seiko has quantity on their side though. Hopefully it's something Steinhart will address one day, as it would be a relatively easy win.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Since 2013 (bought new). It's not that it faded, it's always been that way. I wouldn't call it horrible... just disappointing, in particular the hour plots.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Since 2013 (bought new). It's not that it faded, it's always been that way. I wouldn't call it horrible... just disappointing, in particular the hour plots.
Good to know! I'll be joining the Steinhart Club, just waiting for my GMT-O1 Blue Red to arrive in a week or two!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts