WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

My fiancee would like to give me a watch as a wedding present, and we've settled on the idea of a GMT/dual-time zone watch of some sort. I travel a bit, and there's a sentimental aspect to a watch that displays constant home time along with whatever time zone I'm presently in. We both like the Nomos Zürich Weltzeit (NOMOS Glashütte: Zürich Weltzeit) for both its understated formal design and ease of use (pressing the button on the side of the case advances the main hour hand by an hour, while the small "heimat" dial indicates constant 24-hour time in whatever time zone you set it to keep).

The Weltzeit is a pretty expensive watch, though. She's prepared to spend a couple of thousand dollars, but ~$6,000 is a bit over our budget.

We've looked around at other watches advertised as dual-time-zone or GMT, but they don't seem to work in similar ways: most of them, like the Tag Heuer Carrera Twin-Time, are based on the ETA 2893-2 movement. Adjusting the time on the main dial, as you would when your flight touches down in a new time zone, requires pulling out the crown and advancing the main hour hand--but the GMT hand moves with the hour hand, so then you have to adjust the GMT hand backward if you want it to keep indicating home time.

Do you all have any suggestions for other formal/formal-ish watches to consider that have a true traveler's time-zone feature like the Zurich Weltzeit? I'm aware of the Glashuette Original PanoMaticVenue and the Zenith Captain Dual Time, but both of those are in the same price category.

Your help here will be appreciated enormously, by both of us :)

·
Registered
10,228 Posts
I think ashford has a zenith worldtime new for $4000, and it's going to be an epic watch.

The Oris Artelier Worldtimer looks great and is pretty affordable.

The Longines Master Retrograde is about $3000 and it has a very cool independent retrograde GMT hand.

I believe there's a Seiko Alpinist with an independent GMT hand and that'd be high quality and low price.

If you want an amazing deal, you can get the Ananta Spring Drive GMT for under $4000 after discount, and that, along with the Zenith, is going to have a world class movement

That movement is super accurate and has a super long power reserve, plus as a bonus a power reserve complication. My warning is that it's quite large and heavy (46mm).

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
If you can accept around $2500 used (about $500 more for a highly polished bracelet), then Ulysse Nardin's GMT Big date is a great option. The pushers on the left move the hour hand either forward or backward independently (this watch comes in several different strap options, dial configurations and colors):

UN.jpg

The newer models have an updated design, are 42mm and more expensive.

If you can still find them (check sponsor Arizona Fine Time), then Seiko's Spring Drive collection has an independent hour hand as well for a round $2000 - new on close out. The Spring Drive International collection was replaced by a combination of the Ananta and Grand Seiko collections in the past few years. They're around 41mm and almost 13mm high so they make for a "flashier"dress style watch:

070412_05_01.jpg

·
Registered
10,228 Posts
I love that UN, but I don't think I've ever seen it go anywhere near that low. But heck, I'd buy one if I can get one for 2500. They look awesome.

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
I love that UN, but I don't think I've ever seen it go anywhere near that low. But heck, I'd buy one if I can get one for 2500. They look awesome.
That's not a bad ballpark figure for used..another site had one on a strap from a long time member that listed for $2495 in early July. I got the same watch on a bracelet used for $2800 and change. The bigger problem is that they don't turn up all that often - ebay, watch forums or otherwise. One thing to note is the age of the watch prior to purchase since at $700 it isn't cheap to service.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Ball makes a couple world timers. I think they are coming around again, there were a lot at Basel World (based upon reports in the Watch Time magazine). I think this image is an older model, they introduced a brand-new design this year. Plus, it's got Tritium

Image from the web

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
CitizenM said:
This is the 40mm example; it is an older design and a bit less pricey than the 42mm example.

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
Say, I know you've mentioned names like Nomos and Glashutte Original but approaching this from a more budget friendly direction, you could get a lot more functionality and save tremendous amounts of money on future service costs if you considered quartz watches. The watches I'm suggesting would cost many 10s of thousands of dollars if they were mechanical but they're not so you can find them for starting at around $1200 for the Casio Oceanus models up to $2500 + for the 38mm Campanola I posted today. Most Campanolas are more elaborate than this (some are even spectacular) but they're quite large and expensive so I didn't suggest them:

Citizen Campanola Grand Complication:

Campanola.jpg

This watch has a hand polished case with a hand lacquered dial as well as a minute repeater, moon phase, perpetual calendar (including Leap Year), day/date/month on the sub-dials, chronograph, a 24 hour hand and probably a few other features I'm missing! The Oceanus watches aren't finished quite as nice (though they don't suffer too much in comparison) but they have many of the same features and add some of their own such as being true world timers(with the ability to change time zones on the fly and flip between having home time displayed on the sub-dial or the main hands...then back again), radio control, solar power and coated titanium cases

Various Casio Oceanus World Timers:

Oceanus 2A.jpg oceanus.jpg

Just a thought.

Reactions: CitizenM

·
Registered
291 Posts
What you are looking for is an Oris Worldtimer. The best bang for the buck on mechanical GMT watches.

Enviado desde mi Galaxy Nexus

·
Registered
604 Posts
In terms of brand and quality I'm not sure if any watch will come close to the Nomos (you've selected), in your budget. But, those spring dives really look good!

·
Registered
450 Posts
It's been a few months- just wondering what you ended up getting? And why?

i am looking in the same direction as well. a worldtimer that you can click through the cities.
Nomos weltzeit is a little too plain for me, if budge was less of a concern, any other suggestions?

VC patrimony worldtime is crazy super nice, but I don't deserve it now, even if I had the money.

Any others? Not the typical GMT, please.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts