WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a watch, which will be my only watch (besides a G-shock) for many years to come..
criteria:
- look that won't be out of fashion in 10 years
- max 15mm height
- robust (don't want it to look beaten in 3 years)
- eta/soprod/sw movement (easy to service) preferred
- some kind of shock resistant preferred (incablock)
- between 500-2000eur (650-2500usd): wide range... to leave options open
- stainless or bronze (no black coating)
- dark colored dial
- prefer interior bezel (not a necesity)
- prefer new (or at least mint)
- lug length at least 40mm (no maximum here, I have large wrists)
- min lug width 20mm
- no chronograph, date is ok but no necessity

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
Not divers but tick all the boxes, since I couldn't see a necessity for a true "Dive Watch" I thought I'd put these out there.
At the 2 k mark I like the offerings from Ball. Timeless looks, good quality, nicely finished, think they are now Sellita movements (ETA clones)

Ball Engineer II Red Label Chronometer
(Gas tubes, 100 m WR, 5000 G's Shock Resistance, 40mm, 13mm high, sapphire screw down crown, nice but subtle textured dial)

The Marvelite
Same specs, no day, plainer dial

or, if you have your heart set on a diver, the Skindiver
Same specs w/ 300 m WR, 40.5mm(also available on bracelet)

·
Registered
913 Posts
Tudor Black Bay or Pelagos

Omega Seamaster Pro 300m (if you must have easily serviceable movement, look for previous version with Omega 1120 [based on ETA 2892] not current ceramic version with co-axial 2500D movement)

Seiko Sumo or Shogun (I would recommend the MM300, but it is not easily serviced due to monoblock case)

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
Timeless? Sounds like a Longines HydroConquest. That or save up for the Black Bay or Submariner.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I bought a brand new black bay from an official rolex dealer for 2300 euros in italy. I guess it is a price you can obtain everywhere.
slightly out of your budget,but you will not regret it,it's an instant classic.

·
Premium Member
2,879 Posts
I like the suggestions for Tudor, Longines Legend, and Ball Skindiver... in that order.

·
Registered
973 Posts
I was looking for a timeless dive watch recently and ended up going with an Omega Seamaster Pro Ceramic in blue. Love everything about it although brand new might stretch your budget a little (not sure what they are priced at in Europe)

·
Registered
8,386 Posts
SMP or Black Bay is my choice.

Rado makes a great internal bezel diver. Longines does as well.

Reactions: rfortson

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks for great suggestions.
I want a diver because I prefer to have at least 200m wr.
the only Tudor I like easthetically is the pelagos, but I don't like titanium.. too light.
I don't lim the omega or Rolex brands... I don't wanna pay for their marketing nor do I wanna be seen as a snob.
I probably will wear it on a mesh, that rules out the oris.
I guess longines (both the hydro and the legend) is the main contender at the moment.
any other suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Have you tried a Pelagos on? It may be titanium but I still wouldn't describe it as light. At around 160g its still got a good wrist presence.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
The Pelagos is 170g; pretty hefty. However, It's out of your price range. The legends diver might be your best bet. It isn't exactly timeless; it very much looks and feels like a vintage watch, but it won't look any more dated in 10 years. Rolex divers are way out of your price range and Tudor (slightly out of your price range) won't make anyone think you are snobby. The submariner is the quintessential diver (a truly timeless design) and the Pelagos belongs to that line. If you like the Pelagos, go try one on and maybe stretch your budget.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts