WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Picked this up at a thrift $5. Good condition, running but not good. Needs service. Definitely happy about this pick up! Very rarely do I find a jeweled Timex, when I do the condition is horrible. I assume 1950s on this one? Can anyone identify the movement? It's actually in good condition with some green wearing on the back? Is this corrosion or just wear? Were Timex 400 top of the line for Timex back then? Also, does anybody have ads for these watches? It'd be cool to see how much they retailed for! Any info is great considering I know nothing about Timex watches! I hope I can get this serviced for a decent price as I actually really like this watch!
20170311_184832_resized.jpg 20170311_184518_resized.jpg 20170311_184950_resized.jpg 20170311_184902_resized.jpg

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Great find Sparty. These are not easy to come by especially in good condition. Two versions of these were produced, one from Laco-Durowe in Germany and one from Japan with a Hattori/Seiko 17 J mechanism These are signed with Japan on the dial and movement.. Sending pix and some info. These are my favorite Timex along with their 11 jewel West German Laco backset electrics. All from early 60's.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
No I think you can be sure that is not a redial. I have seen many of these and I believe I have seen that pattern before. And not really worth a redial of a Timex. You can google Timex 400 Mens and there are usually some to be seen. Most often in pretty bad shape.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
A little more info I had saved on these 400's. Sorry about poor photo of watches, but close look at top row middle shows your dial style.... I think. So no redial.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Giotime, I liked seeing the photo from the old Timex Forum. I was involved with that forum as a moderator and actually designed the banners (and that's my Ben Hogan watch too lol). It had to be shut down to new posts because of costs, and also because of a couple jerks that always started fights. The replacement forum (which gives the moderator more control over blocking jerks) is here:

The TIMEX WATCH FORUM - Index page

The moderator hasn't gotten around to changing the look and feel yet but hopefully will in the future.

That being said, I wonder if the Timex 400 has a date code on the dial?

Ron

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Thank you Ron for that Timex Forum link- I will do some exploring. Still haven't gotten myself a Ben Hogan although I did take a shot at one a couple of times. No date code on the dials - just West Germany or Japan. I have a couple of ladies 400's too and they have a date stamped on the inside of the casebacks. I can't remember if the men's 400's also have that. I will check tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Yes mine has a stamp on the inside case back it's 9M60... Mean anything? Maybe 1960?
That's exactly what it means. Nice get, I've been on the look out for a 400 myself.

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
The Seiko movement was found in early Seiko Lord Marvel watches before they made the Lord Marvel a higher up watch with a hi beat movement. It is also the ancestor of the Seiko 66/66B and 6602 manual wind movements that Seiko used in numerous watches in the 1960's(such as the Seiko Sportsman)

A lot of folks knock Timex but they made a lot of wonderful watches. I have my grand father's early 1960's Timex Electric. It was used by him and my father up until the end of the 1990's. So that was 30 years or so on just battery replacements. It still works even today.

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Well Hamilton did redeem themselves with later Hamilton Electric and Electronic watches. Here is my 1973-1977 Hamilton Electronic. I got it with a dead Mercury battery in it and when I put a new silver oxide battery in the watch it started right up and has been keeping great time. Sure it is ugly as ...... but it is a cool ugly

Attachments

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Imagine if Hamilton had used a Timex electric mechanism instead of that crazy 500. THat would have been a nice combo.
They really aren't any different (functionally) than the early Timex electrics, just more delicate. Maybe if Hamilton listened to their engineers who had reservations about releasing the 500, and instead waited until the much more reliable 505. But then again, they were scared that Elgin was going to beat them to the punch.

Well Hamilton did redeem themselves with later Hamilton Electric and Electronic watches. Here is my 1973-1977 Hamilton Electronic. I got it with a dead Mercury battery in it and when I put a new silver oxide battery in the watch it started right up and has been keeping great time. Sure it is ugly as ...... but it is a cool ugly
That's an ESA 9158 "Dynotron". I have one in a Caravelle. Pretty sturdy movement.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I have a very nice 14k Hamilton Electronic myself. Working great and I quite like it. Strangely these electronics don't seem to carry much collector weight, while the mostly Non working Hamilton electrics do. At least that is how it seems to me. I do think many of the electrics have nicer more artistic cases. Maybe that's it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts