WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A new line called IQ+ Move under the tagline: "Don't let a fitness band ruin your look" just appeared on the Timex site -- following their Metropolitan+ line.

Both IQ+ and Metroplitan+ offer a streamlined feature set hinging on smartphone connectivity -- but well short of smart watch capability. With iWatch sales plummeting and others sure to follow, no one can pinpoint where smart watches or semi-smart watches will settle out. This hasn't stopped Timex from pushing to find a sweet spot.

Features include sync-to-phone for "Perfect Time" and "Perfect Date" and activity tracking: steps and distance, calories burned and sleep metrics -- with percentage to goal.

Dials have a clean, graphic, semi-Daniel Wellington look and, happily, what must now be considered a Timex/Guilio Gallo design trademark: the sweet chapter ring indents.

Silver, black or grey brass case, resin bands in black or grey, leather bands in black or brown -- and Indigo. Crowns feature a + symbol.

No overall size specs posted yet. I'm hoping for 40-43mm. Case depth is 12mm, lugs are 20mm. Retail price is $149.

Not sure how this is possible, but the Timex website says "No Charging Required." Also not sure about the 'date syncing' and what appears snugged into the chapter ring: PERFECT DATE. There's no date window??? The intro models don't appear to have date complications, but maybe subsequent models will?

TW2P94900F5 Black + Blue
TW2P95100F5 Black + Green
TW2P93200F5 Silver + Black
TW2P94700F5 Gold + Brown

30-second ad posted to youtube on November 3rd:

·
Registered
292 Posts
These look great, been kind of interested in fitness trackers, my wife loves hers. Love the green and blue one

pew~pew~

·
Registered
707 Posts
Pretty! They look a bit like the withings ones.
My issue with this kind of approach is, the day that you choose to wear another watch, you don't track your activity. Or you should ALWAYS wear the same watch, and no watch is that appealing to me.
That's why I prefer a smart band to wear together with a watch. I personally use a Mi Band 1S.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Not sure how this is possible, but the Timex website says "No Charging Required."
They may be operated by a button cell, like a regular quartz (only lasting less because of the additional features). I believe that Withings and other manufacturers (Elephone?) used this approach.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I think the date is indicated by the seconds hand moving to point at an index marker from 1 to 31 (probably why those two numbers are printed on the chapter ring). Maybe pushing on the crown does that as well as the indiglo? It probably gets the day, month, and year info from the phone, which allows it to account for shorter months, hence the "perfect date" label. It would be cool if it also got the time from the phone as well, which would make for a synch specific to time zone and dst status.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I think the date is indicated by the seconds hand moving to point at an index marker from 1 to 31 (probably why those two numbers are printed on the chapter ring). Maybe pushing on the crown does that as well as the indiglo? It probably gets the day, month, and year info from the phone, which allows it to account for shorter months, hence the "perfect date" label. It would be cool if it also got the time from the phone as well, which would make for a synch specific to time zone and dst status.
That is very cool if that's true about the date. And yes, it definitely can synch time with your smartphone also.

What they're struggling with, and possibly correctly identifying, is a sweet spot without too much complication.

If this is all true, it's a lot of useful information from a very clean, uncluttered interface.

Pretty! They look a bit like the withings ones.
My issue with this kind of approach is, the day that you choose to wear another watch, you don't track your activity. Or you should ALWAYS wear the same watch, and no watch is that appealing to me. That's why I prefer a smart band to wear together with a watch. I personally use a Mi Band 1S.
This makes perfect sense. I'm reluctant to wear the same watch all the time -- but these watches are certainly well short of the cost of a smartwatch, and I'm not about to wear one of those every day either.

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
Pretty cool look and technology

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've been wearing the Withings Activite for a little over a year. I love it, I wore a Moto 360 smart smatch before that and hated how bulky and ugly it was. Before that I never wore a watch. What I hate about the Withings though is that it doesn't show the date, and it is useless in the dark.

I'm intrigued by this new Timex. I asked them on Facebook and the date is shown by the second hand moving to the right side and pointing at the 1 to 31 numbers. The time and date are sync'd to the phone, just like on the Withings. The only thing that worries me is that I'm not convinced Timex could make a decent app and it probably doesn't sync to anything like Strava or MyFitnessPal. For $150 I guess it's worth a shot though.

I really like the Mondaine Helvetica 1 (same concept - analog watch connected via bluetooth), but I still don't consider myself a "watch guy" so I just can't bring myself to spend $1k.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Makes sense, but not on a board full of people who clearly prefer analog watches. I actually prefer unobtrusive fitness bands because I can still wear my own watches.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Makes sense, but not on a board full of people who clearly prefer analog watches. I actually prefer unobtrusive fitness bands because I can still wear my own watches.
Thats how i wear my pebble time smart watch ie underneath my sleeve on the right wrist and a mechanical exposed on the left.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts