Β·
Registered
Just one more TX Timex Enabler Club - Broths Hams n Subs
11,617 Posts

Β·
Registered
G-Shock Square G-5600E
466 Posts
I've been using a Fitbit Alt HR fitness tracker which died and am looking for a replacement.

Recently I discovered this Ironman which appears to be a really nice product at a ridiculously low price.

Timex.jpg

A Garmin smartwatch model I like costs $349 AUD and a Fitbit Charge 4 (New model) $249. At the other end, the new CASIO G-Shock Smartwatch is probably near $1,000.

I don't want to buy a smartwatch as I have other traditional watches I like to wear, but a fitness tracker I can wear only when I go riding or walking.

TIMEX has been around for decades, I think my first watch was a TIMEX, so it's possibly excellent value for money and after all, if it turned out to be a lemon, it's not a lot of money to have wasted.

Β·
Registered
Samsung Gear Sport
8,426 Posts
I've been using a Fitbit Alt HR fitness tracker which died and am looking for a replacement.

Recently I discovered this Ironman which appears to be a really nice product at a ridiculously low price.

View attachment 15037623

A Garmin smartwatch model I like costs $349 AUD and a Fitbit Charge 4 (New model) $249. At the other end, the new CASIO G-Shock Smartwatch is probably near $1,000.

I don't want to buy a smartwatch as I have other traditional watches I like to wear, but a fitness tracker I can wear only when I go riding or walking.

TIMEX has been around for decades, I think my first watch was a TIMEX, so it's possibly excellent value for money and after all, if it turned out to be a lemon, it's not a lot of money to have wasted.
Tiemx been around for decades but Fitbit may have proper soft....
This Timex look nice on paper. It may even be good as not connected GPS watch but when it comes to connected watch you need to see whole picture and frankly paying extra 50$ over 200$ to see good picture on the the wrist and on the phone is very small price to pay.
I used GPS non connected Timex and it was not bad at all.
Not sure how this stocks against Garmin Frorunner 35 and Fitbit Charge 4. Since i had no inns this this one and considering i have smart watch i never will. So some review from Timex:

" I wanted to like this watch, I really did, but the software is just not quite there yet. On the hardware side the watch is great. Heart rate monitoring seems to be pretty accurate, GPS works great, battery life is great. I'm a big fan of the understated yet modern styling. I would grant that the screen is not as vibrant as it appears in the marketing pictures as people have noted, but keep in mind this is not a high-res OLED display like you'll find in the Apple watch, this is a reflective LCD which allows it to be always on and enables the long battery life. It is very easy to see outdoors as well.

On the downside, the software (mainly the Timex Smart app) leaves a lot to be desired, and seems to me this was not rigorously tested before release. Workout tracking works pretty well overall, capturing heart rate and GPS, although it seems to really be geared towards running and cycling (a 30 minute power yoga workout resulted in me apparently burning 12 calories). However the sleep tracking feature doesn't seem to work at all (wearing it for 5 days straight it only recognized that I went to sleep once). The activity log screen is perpetually out of sync with the watch and the home screen (the home screen would accumulate steps and activity throughout the day, but the activity screen would be fixed at a value from the morning). The heart rate log would have the occasional spike or band of data but was mostly just blank as it wasn't continuously recording throughout the day. Notifications were spotty, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. I would say at this point, the only thing you can really count on is a good tracking of your bike ride or run, everything else should be considered a beta feature.

In summary I think this has strong potential to be a great value at this price point, but the software is just not ready for primetime yet. The good news is that they can potentially fix these problems with this current version of the hardware, and I hope they do get it together. With some serious investment in improving the Timex Smart app, this could be a 5 star system."

Anyway where is live it's only 15% price bump for fitbit charge 4 (170 timex vs 200 fitbit) and like i said from my experience when it comes to smartwatch or sports watch, specs are not full story.

Β·
Registered
11,617 Posts

View attachment 15037623

I love the timex brand... however, this Ironman looks awesome; but sadly, TX has a long history of not being able to get it quite right with integration with smartphones. All of their connected devices have very sub par reviews.

The specs of the watch are actually impressive; but if you don't have the good software interface to make use of it; then the product really fails.

IF you don't want a smartwatch.... this is one smartwatch after all. I highly recommend the Garmin Instinct; super value, great watch, great interface.

GIT Pour Over by Wolfsatz, on Flickr

Β·
Registered
11,617 Posts

Β·
Registered
11,617 Posts

Β·
Registered