WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just got the Timex Expedition Shock XL watch. It was design for the military. And, you know what. It really was, because a lot of military rifle shooters have their watch on their right hand, and the buttons lock out on the left hand side so you don't hit the buttons when you bend your wrist. If you wear the watch on the left hand you hit the buttons when you bend your wrist.

356320_450_45.jpg

·
Registered
41 Posts
"Outsmart", meh...
"Outpretty", not so much...
:think:

·
Registered
391 Posts
No. With the button protectors it would be impossible, as far as I would think.

·
G-Shock Mod
13,910 Posts
I have to wonder though, can anyone actually set off their G-Shock buttons when they bend their wrist?
One of the G-Shocks' design theosophy was to have buttons that are well protected buttons from dropping or accidental actuation.

From all the G-Shocks that I have handled, its difficult for me to imagine how bending my wrist can accidentally press any of the buttons ... ??

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I've had this watch for 4 months - it resets itself every Saturday to 01/01/2005. Other than that annoyance, it is nowwhere near as intuitive as some reports make out, especially if like me, you are used to Casio button useage.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Neat looking watch.

I have to wonder though, can anyone actually set off their G-Shock buttons when they bend their wrist?
Never for me.

·
Registered
8,522 Posts
I just got the Timex Expedition Shock XL watch. It was design for the military. And, you know what. It really was, because a lot of military rifle shooters have their watch on their right hand, and the buttons lock out on the left hand side so you don't hit the buttons when you bend your wrist. If you wear the watch on the left hand you hit the buttons when you bend your wrist.

View attachment 1318742
No offense pal, but this watch was clearly NOT designed for the military. Since I'm usually a big Timex fan I can say that the XL series fails in many ways. First it is way too big, this thing is a landmine on the wrist and makes a GW-9400 look small in comparison (although the absolute measurements of the Rangeman are even bigger), Second the (negative) display is nowhere as good to read as it should be, don't let that picture fool you. The digits are NOT silverish/greyish but rather yellowish/greenish and despite their huge size leave much to be desired (contrast), especially when compared to the über-excellent displays of the T-49900 and T-49903. The backlight is too bright, instead of only the digitis to light up, the whole display glows. For a negative screen the illumination looks very much positive. Lastly the vibe alarm is too weak, probably because of the truly massive case. It houses basically the same module as the T-49851 and while I honestly believe that it is one of the overall best modules in the whole digital watch world today, it still has some weak points Timex really should have corrected with the XL line - they missed a big oportunity here. All in all the XL Timex is one of the biggest disappointments in 2013 for me (at least the one with the negative display, still have to check out the positive one) along with the G-Shock GD-350. And about your theory activating buttons when bending the wrist: I yet have to find the first G-Shock where this would be possible, happened to me on a few Timex's though.

cheers

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
I tried my hardest to activate one of the buttons on my G-Shocks by bending my wrist and wasn't able to. The center piece that separates the buttons stick out further than the buttons and there's no way my wrist could press them. They're also angled more toward the corners so you really have to twist your wrist to even try.

The buttons on that Timex looks about even with the height of the divider and are on the same flat side.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
The buttons on that Timex looks about even with the height of the divider and are on the same flat side.
correct, in fact the left hand buttons, which are more crucial, stick out beyond the center divider - absolutely no protection at all from accidental pressing.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
I have to say that the only watches I have ever accidently pushed a button on were a timex and I have several timex's that I really like. As far as this XL series from timex, I would be interested in a black positive display but I'm not going to buy both the black and the green models so I can do a module swap unless I find some at a deeply discounted price.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts