WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got this interesting retro watch in a lot and am looking to see if anyone knows about it. It works for a while, but stops so I wanted to clean and oil the movement but can not figure out how to open it. There is no way to remove the back, so assume it opens from the front. There appears to be a plug on the back, I'm assuming covering a screw to remove the stem. Not sure if the metal band on the front holds a trim or if I need to remove the crystal alone. Thought I'd ask before prying and ruining it.

Thanks |>

DSC00615.JPG DSC00617.JPG

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
19,154 Posts
Looks a little like the cheapo copy of the Eloga "Flipper". This was the first plastic watch, brought out in 1968 and based on Noryl. It became very successful so that the parent company gave the watches their own brand name (Fortis) rather than that of the sub brand. There were also numerous copies of the more upmarket brands (e.g. Enicar, Cortebert, Junghans) but also by the cheapie makers. Since the case was monocoque (single shell), you needed a split winding stem but the pin lever versions often lacked this and put a hole with a plug into the right place in the case back. You need to open this and access the stem release screw or pusher. After that, you can get the movement out via the front once the crystal is gone. Good luck!

Hartmut Richter

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
That makes great sense, Hartmut. Good commentary!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks this was helpful. Plug was actually threaded and had to lightly push it with a small screwdriver to get it to turn and come out.

·
Registered
18,176 Posts
I have often wondered how these pieces were serviced. Good information!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts