WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Full specs here:

Timex IRONMAN® 100-Lap | Casual, Dress, and Sport Watches for Women & Men

I'm hesitant to buy a Timex because my experience with my wife's is that it's pretty much disposed of once the battery dies out. We did a battery change on hers and the WR (originally rated 100m) was shot when she swam later and consequently some buttons ceased working. However, I really like the following and can't seem to find a Casio and/or G-Shock model that comes close to matching:

- Alarms w/ ability to set for just weekdays/weekends
- Backlight when I push any button
- Interval training
- Fairly large and legible LCD

The Timex above I can get delivered for $28.50. At that price I might be able to overcome that it's likely a disposal model, but if I could buy something from Casio with a greater level of durability I'd prefer that.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Full specs here:

Timex IRONMAN® 100-Lap | Casual, Dress, and Sport Watches for Women & Men

I'm hesitant to buy a Timex because my experience with my wife's is that it's pretty much disposed of once the battery dies out. We did a battery change on hers and the WR (originally rated 100m) was shot when she swam later and consequently some buttons ceased working. However, I really like the following and can't seem to find a Casio and/or G-Shock model that comes close to matching:

- Alarms w/ ability to set for just weekdays/weekends
- Backlight when I push any button
- Interval training
- Fairly large and legible LCD

The Timex above I can get delivered for $28.50. At that price I might be able to overcome that it's likely a disposal model, but if I could buy something from Casio with a greater level of durability I'd prefer that.
I owned the T5E231 for some time and liked it - it is an excellent runner's watch. Lightweight, low-profile (slim and can be worn under a cuff) large, easy to read digits and very functional. You'd be hard-pressed to find anything similar among G-shocks, but the G-7700/G-7710 would fit your bill. However, do note that all G-shocks would be heavier than the Ironman so if the weight of the watch is a criteria, it can be a deal-breaker.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks - that's about as close of a match as I could imagine. If I can find it price wise no more than 2x the Timex I'll go for it.

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
I owned the T5E231 for some time and liked it - it is an excellent runner's watch. Lightweight, low-profile (slim and can be worn under a cuff) large, easy to read digits and very functional. You'd be hard-pressed to find anything similar among G-shocks, but the G-7700/G-7710 would fit your bill. However, do note that all G-shocks would be heavier than the Ironman so if the weight of the watch is a criteria, it can be a deal-breaker.
Are there any other G-Shocks that have weekday/weekend alarms? This is a useful feature, but I don't think any of mine do this.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I have personally had just fantastic luck with Ironman Timex watches. I have run in them for decades, various models. There is no (and believe me, i've looked) better basic runners watch than the Timex IM.

Anyway, it's my experience that if you do a battery change carefully and correctly, using a little silicone grease on the gasket and making sure you tighten the caseback down evenly and firmly (and correctly aligned with the gasket), they watertight integrity is not an issue.

Obviously at $28 it's not a dangerous experiment, but I say just buy the IM if that's the watch you want.

·
Registered
868 Posts
I have personally had just fantastic luck with Ironman Timex watches... ...There is no (and believe me, i've looked) better basic runners watch than the Timex IM. ...
Pretty sure that ONLY Timex has that fantastic Night-Mode, where every button push turns on the light. I am really impressed with this one, which seems to channel the G-Force almost as well as a true-G. It's more than double the price of the IM, but worth it, imho.
P1050198.JPG
But it won't displace the G-7900-1 as my travel watch.
P1050199.JPG
Best module ever, ugly, but who cares?

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Take a look at the Timex Shock solar watch. Digits are smaller than the one you have, but seems like it otherwise fits with what you are looking for. Same width but ticker. Will post side by side pics when I get a chance.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I never knew Timex even had that solar model - do you know the #? For sure didn't see it at Timex.com when I was searching.

·
Registered
84 Posts
This model is great for 1. older people who want bigger digits 2. swimmers who want a watch to read under water 3. people who want DD/MM or MM/DD date formats.

The user interface is fantastic, much better than anything Casio offers.

I had the solar model mentioned here - it filled with water :(

·
Registered
868 Posts
Dang it, that's the thing with the Timexes. I had a Timex Vibrating Expedition which would randomly reset itself, and and Ironman which displayed weird non-numbers, then just froze up, before stopping altogether. But if you get a good one, the great display, loud alarms and fantastic UI are unbeatable. But that build quality is "variable". Whereas, pretty much all Casios just seem to work, and endure redonculous levels of abuse, and they do have really long battery life too. The simple, basic models, anyway.

I wonder if there is a negative correlation between module complexity and dependability? I seem to recall that using the CDT and Hydra-Timer on the Vibrating Expedition would sometimes trigger a reset.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Pretty sure that ONLY Timex has that fantastic Night-Mode, where every button push turns on the light.
I don't understand why Casio does not offer this feature. It seems soo simple. Is that concept patented?

Also the lack of weekend/weekday alarm and especially the lack of lap function stopwatch in most Casios really annoys me too. While I finally found a Casio that offers lap function, in my opinion it should be standard feature on every watch. It is a simple software feature that hardly cost anything to implement.

I had a Timex Ironman before and I liked it very much. It had 200m WR, mineral crystal and it served me well for almost 10 years as a beater/swimmer watch, before it finally filled up with water. But when I recently wanted to replace it, I found that nowadays Timex offers almost no 200m WR watches and almost no mineral lens watches any more. Also I could not find any Timex solar either, with battery change free solar being very high on my list.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts