WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 562 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again. What is your opinion about Timex watches, about quality, brand history... I bought one nice piece from 70's, manual wind, in near mint condition. But I very rarely hear that anyone mention or buy timex watches. The brand has history and I can see that this watch is very quality made. I think that Timex watches are little bit underrated. What is your opinion, do Timex watches deserve a place in collection next to brands like Omega, Longines...?

·
Registered
939 Posts
A Timex is what reignited my interest in watches back in 2013. They are nice pieces for their price point. Just don’t expect much more beyond what you pay for. So don’t compare them to Omega or Longines.

If you want more talk about Timex then head to the affordable section as Mr. Pickle Puss suggested.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Timex has been killing it lately. Pretty excited to see what they have in store for 2020.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Sure, they deserve a place in my collection at least. I have a few vintage birth-year Timex watches and I enjoy them. As long as you keep in mind that they are not jeweled and were often considered disposable, some are still pretty cool for what they are and can be had dirt cheap. They've had some interesting modern releases recently as well. Timex are respectable watches no doubt, and many better men than us from years past have worn Timex. A watch needs not be expensive to be significant to the hobby, and as an enthusiast I'd much rather see a Timex on someone's wrist than a fashion watch.

DSC06977 (2).JPG

029 (2).JPG

060 (3).jpg

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
I see three kinds of Timex:

1) The vintage stuff
2) The recent reissue stuff
3) The basic catalogue quartz stuff

1 and 2 are worth looking into, 3 is a hard pass for anything other than a beater.

·
Premium Member
3,280 Posts
Timex is my favorite watch brand and the most numerous brand in my collection. I have vintage electrics, automatics, and quartz as well as new quartz and three of the new Todd Snyder 34mm hand wind mechanicals. I really like the "Indigo" feature in some of their quartz watches.
Joe

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
after getting back into watches adoration, i’ve recently narrowed my focus to only timex watches- vintage ones which i can have serviced and repair (but wear infrequently) rare issues from the years past (like this funky titanium compass watch) and modern collaborations and limited editions.

they are solid and robust, stylish, well designed and constructed, keep excellent time, are reasonably priced (and sized!) and are a mainstay of my collection. i’ll actually consider selling off assorted autos and swiss brands just to focus on timex. i adore them and there’s too many more i have my eye on...sorry, photo intensive.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I only have one in my collection, the Snoopy Marlin (first issue). Have not worn it though; stays in the box.

·
Registered
36,279 Posts
Have a bunch of Timex here as they are decent value, as long as one doesn’t mistake them for a G-Shock, as me, my wife and my sons have all broken Timex and when the going gets tough, nothing is as robust as a G-Shock.

That being said, still like Timex, still occasionally buy Timex and this one cracks me up:

My wife's daily driver/beater is a Timex analog quartz with an inoperable date wheel. She likes it because it doesn’t beep and doesn’t attract attention....and the date is correct once a month.

Skipper, the resident yellow labrador puppy recently tried to eat her Timex, managed to bend the springbars, clasp and keepers, but the watch still works (except the date) and I installed a new nato and springbars for her.

Like the knurled case on these

Favorite Waterbury

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
If you are in the market for a low-end disposable watch under $50-ish then Timex is your friend. That's their main market...Walmart bargain shoppers. There is certainly nothing wrong with that, but on an enthusiasts forum, where people think nothing of dropping $1000+ on a like product, something like that just isn't going to get much attention. If you just want a watch to keep time, then Timex is a great value. That's about where it ends for the brand.

1 - 20 of 562 Posts