WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm new to watches, and was initially looking for a watch that was an analog watch and had both day and date indicators and could be seen in the dark, and was affordable. It seems difficult to find a cheap (relative of course) watch with good lume, and both day and date so I ended up with a timex, T2N227. I like the watch very much, but my problem is it is only water resistant to 30 meters, and I would like it if the watch were more durable and I could wear it in the shower. From reading as much as I could here on the topic of water resistance I realize that not much can be done to increase the water resistance of a watch, so I was wondering if anyone could tell me the likelihood of finding a compatible more durable/water resistant case to swap, or if such a thing would even be easily possible. If not, does anyone know of a watch that is cheap, easy to see at night (either by lume,EL, LED etc) and has day and date?

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
Swapping case is not practical and not cost effective. Anyway many people uses 30M WR watches for swimming and taking showers. Since the watch is really cheap you can try, and most probably there will be no problem.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I knew it wouldn't be practical, but I was hoping for a similar more water resistant case. I was under the impression that 30M WR was not enough to shower with from what I had read on this forum.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
I have swam with several 30m watches and had no problem with them. Timex is a good quality manufacturer and I suspect they are more WR than they warrant. I think many times it is about the warranty and the level of testing a watch goes through. So the watch could be designed to be a higher level of WR and withstand it.
Agree with CCCP - not practical to change cases. Rather pay a bit more for a 100m watch.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you both for the responses, I suppose I will try it and see. I wouldnt mind paying a bit more for a 100m watch but I couldn't find one with "good" lume and day and date features.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I wouldn't do it specially in hot water. 30m is like swat resistant more then water resistant so if you do decide to shower with it do it at your own risk. But any ways as far as I know taking shower with watches is not recommend and kinda impractical imo.

I have 2 similar timexes, that's a nice looking one.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
I don't understand why anyone would want to wear their watch in the shower. Wearing your shoes, glasses, etc. in the shower would not get them clean - just try it. Wearing your watch in the shower will not get it clean. In fact, it will get it dirty, caked with dried-out soap and water spots. You will only save about .3 seconds that it takes to remove it and set it aside. Clean your watch with a damp microfiber cloth, or an old toothbrush and mild soap.

Having said that, I've had no problem with the water resistance of my Timex watches. I haven't owned a 30m watch that I've taken in the water, but I do have a couple 50m Timex watches that I've worn swimming, and haven't had any problems with them.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Have a Timex Expedition, model number escapes me at the moment, rated at 100m yet has a snap on caseback and no screw down crown. I know screw down crowns are more usually found on 200m+ WR watches but snap on back rated at 100m worries me.

Chris

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I suppose I should have been more specific, while I don't want to wear it in the shower every time I shower, I wanted a watch that would still hold up should I bring it in the shower, as I have forgotten to remove other watches while in the shower. I forget sometimes, and don't realize til after the damage has been done. Of course the simple answer here is rather than finding a more water resistant watch, don't forget, but I would have liked to find a durable watch with day/date and lume or other light source.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the recommendation, I will look into that one. Is that your pic? If so, how long does the lume last?

·
Registered
143 Posts
I don't own that model, just borrowed the picture from a review. Citizen divers and field watches are often recommended alongside Seiko and tritium tube watches for lume quality, so I'm assuming it's pretty good.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Perhaps this requires a new thread but I thought I'd try here first. I was hoping someone could explain to me why a watch like the Timex "Expedition Metal Field" seen below, with near identical dimensions and style, and a case made of the same material (brass) as well as both having non-screw down backs and push crowns as my current watch, the Expedition is rated to 50m. Could this be an issue of a higher quality gasket in the expedition? Is it possible that the expedition was just rated higher since the expedition line is supposedly more durable?

T49870_1.jpg

·
Registered
Rolex GMT Master II, Omega Speedmast 9300, Tag Heuer Link Chrono, Shinola Bronze Monster
166 Posts
I wore a Timex 30 meter WR watch for three years in the Army infantry. It got frozen, sloshed with water God knows how many times, beat to death, scratched. I broke the band and so I put it on a wide nylon strap with a Velcro cover. In the end, I wore it home and it lasted several more years until I lost it.

People that advocate large watches have never actually been in the military. They get in the way, especially when you have to wear cold weather gear. A plan old Timex Expedition would be my choice if I was to go back right now.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Timex isnt what it used to be. They used to make good cheap and durable watches, but now they are churning out delicate fashion pieces. Idiots.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This was my first thread here. YAY! I've progressed much farther in my WISness now, although I still have this watch. I'd have to agree with timex not being what it was, after a bad experience with their service department I won't buy another timex.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts