WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In most cases, I work on 10.5 to 19 ligne movements. But I always wanted to check out the smaller ones. So I found a couple of ladies' size Tissots. The first one was their manual wind in-house movement cal. 2403 5.75x6.75 ligne dating back to 1972, and the second one Cal. 2321 (ETA 2671) automatic with calendar, 7.75 ligne.
The first one was fairly easy, and I am happy that I have an old movement holder that can safely hold tiny baguette movements. I highly recommend this movement holder, as it is of a much higher quality than the current Bergeon offering.
Tissot cal.2403 was of a nice quality, however, it had the same flawed screws as other Tissot in-house calibers of the same time period. These screws tend to fall apart (heads falls off) when touched by a screwdriver. I observed it in 2 different watches.
Cal 2321 is currently on my bench. Great to have an updated Technical Document from ETA with the oiling diagram. I really like the movement, however, it is very small indeed. See attached pictures. The mainplate is the size of a small fingernail. And it's not a simple movement, but nicely constructed considering its size. This movement is still in production by ETA. One challenge is that the x-small oiler is not small enough for some tasks. :)
By the way, I tried the same vintage movement holder for this one, and have to admit that Bergeon 4040 worked better in this case.
Anyway, just wanted to share my exposure to uber-small movements.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
They're a challenge, aren't they? To honor my late Mom on her birthday this year, I COA'd one of her 1950s Elgin 702s. Hokey smokes, Bullwinkle! That thing is TINY!!!

·
Vint. Forum Co-Moderator
3,839 Posts
I went against the grain when I first started to learn how to work on movements and instead of using pocket watches I used Ladies movements (they are so cheap it doesn't matter how many you might trash). They certainly require a bit more care don't they? It had the benefit that a 10'" movement held no fear for me as it seemed huge.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts