WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Ball Watch, Bremont and Longines moderator
11,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As part of assessing a modification I'm looking at doing I needed to figure out how to get the bezel off. After many google search variations I all I could deduct was that a thin blade knife needed to be place between the case and the bezel and twist the knife. The problem was nothing was fitting in the gap. I found a really thin blade knife that you can purchase for about $3 from any oriental grocery store (These are also great for slicing tomatoes). This sort of went in but no way was it going to be enough to be able to get any leverage. Then I stumbled on some thing, I was aligning the smooth indented grooves on the watch case with the smooth indented grooves on the bezel. Wrong, align the bezel so the smooth indented grooves on the case are aligned to the knurled (for lack of a better term) outward grips.

Wile I don't have it in the picture I suggest putting electrical tape over the exposed part of the blade that are not und the case and bezel so not accidental scratches occur.

The blade should slip right in all the way now. Second part of the tip take a pair of pilers and grip the back edge of the knife blade in the center where the blade has gone the deepest under the bezel and twist.

The bezel will pop right off every time. Not a mark to be found. Be sure and watch that the retaining clip under the bezel does not fly anywhere.

(Sorry I had to stage these photos since I did not have someone to take them while I held the watch)

Please note depending on your work surface it is easier to set the watch on the edge when removing the bezel (Which I could not do in the pictures since I was by myself) and watch where you hold the watch so the blade does not do more than remove the bezel.

This is good to do maybe once a year and then clean and lubricate the mechanism (mine was pretty bad after six years ).

When replacing make sure you have the pins in the clip aligned and the contacting surfaces lubricated and snap the bezel back into place. A press may be required.

Reactions: 2535.80

·
Registered
102 Posts
Michael,

Thanks for the info. I have an OM and am just about to try to pop off the bezel. Could you post some pictures for reference

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
My bezel isn't quite perfectly aligned. Is there anything I can do the clicking mechanism to make it line up?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Samanator,
Thanks for posting this...I joined last week so I could buy a watch (I've bought two now, hope this isn't an indication of my weakness.. and I happened on your post because the monster I bought had what felt like a bad clutch on the bezel. Sure turns out to be a lot more simple than I thought- got the bezel off and the two upward facing fingers on the spring needed a tweak further upward, and everything's fine. In fact, I repeated the process a few times until I was satisfied the bezel felt "right".
By the way, no press ( I've got to get one of those) for reinstalling the bezel, (this may seem kinda cave-man, so stop now if you're squeamish- I first tried using a mechanic's technique of heating (expanding) the bezel in boiling water, while cooling the mating surface with an ice cube- not necessary, and it didn't work with hand force. I lined everything up, and placed the watch face down on a linoleum covered concrete floor, and braced myself and used my weight to press my sock-covered heel on the back face- satisfying and distinct click into place. I'd say it was approximately 196 lb. of force. Probably wouldn't work with a domed crystal. Thanks again.
Regards,
Roy

·
Registered
18 Posts
did this operation on my watch a few days ago and everything worked well thanks to this great guide! One thing though, there is a ruber o-ring inside the bezel and it managed to get squeezed between the watch and bezel, thought I used to think oil since the bezel became wery hard to rotate but then in noticed the missaligned o-ring!

So beware of the o-ring when pressing back the bezel!

tsaroy: Thanks for the tip to use the floor! Worked perfectly! =)

did a video when I removed the bezel, I try to post it here when it's edited.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I popped the bezel off my new monster a few times to fix a problem with the bezel being rather difficult to turn. Problem fixed, but now i notice a tiny gap of space between the bezel and case when you hold the watch in front of a light source and look down the side of the watch opposite the crown. the bezel no longer fits completely up against the case when its on. Though its totally unnoticeable unless you're staring at the watch in such a way, and the bezel still feels and functions normally, so it only slightly bothers me. But still, knowing that I did that to my brand new watch....

·
Registered
55 Posts
out of interest

has anyone removed the bezel from an SNZF17 sea urchin? I'll be buggered if I can work it out?

Cheers

Tom

·
Ball Watch, Bremont and Longines moderator
11,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
out of interest

has anyone removed the bezel from an SNZF17 sea urchin? I'll be buggered if I can work it out?

Cheers

Tom
This should come off in a similar manner only it probably will not be as tight as a Monster. For like a SKX171 which looks a little like this you can almost get it off with a butter knife.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I did this to realign my Monster bezel and when I pressed the bezel back on, I cut that o-ring in the bezel. What did it do? Can I find a replacement anywhere?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I popped off the bezel on my skx031 which wasnt turning and there is no washer, spring or any other sort of mechanism, I fear I may have lost it when popping it off?

Also there seems to be a gap between bezel and glass on one sidelike the glass is not round or bezel has been misaligned previously?

I bought the watch on ebay btw.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I am currently attempting to remove the Monster bezel and and have been unsuccessful in doing so with two separate Monsters.

What seem to be the issue is that I can not get the blade wedged deeply enough between the case and bezel and so when trying to pry it off it slips and scars the case... it has just happened to me on two of my brand new Monsters.:-| I have removed several Seiko bezels before but the Monster is a tough one for me. There is no way that this can be done with tape of any type covering the blade it seems as the thickness is to great.

How thin does the knife need to be for inserting between the case and bezel?

Thanks |>

Tony

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I am currently attempting to remove the Monster bezel and and have been unsuccessful in doing so with two separate Monsters.

What seem to be the issue is that I can not get the blade wedged deeply enough between the case and bezel and so when trying to pry it off it slips and scars the case... it has just happened to me on two of my brand new Monsters.:-| I have removed several Seiko bezels before but the Monster is a tough one for me. There is no way that this can be done with tape of any type covering the blade it seems as the thickness is to great.

How thin does the knife need to be for inserting between the case and bezel?

Thanks |>

Tony
Mine also seemed tight and the knife broke!

In the end I just put it on its side, dripped a little WD40 in and rotated the bezel a few times. Good as new now!

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
is it safe to remove the bezel without the appropriate instruments?
is there the possiblity that the bezel will not perfectly fit again in its original position?

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
For the Seiko Monster, its OK to ply with a case knife.
No harm...pretty easy. Tape up the surround to avoid scratches here and there.

For those whom needs a new monster bezel gasket. Give me a buzz.

*not my pic but fm another bro here.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
For the Seiko Monster, its OK to ply with a case knife.
No harm... probably some light scratches here and there only.

For those whom needs a new monster bezel gasket. Give me a buzz.

*not my pic but fm another bro here.

I lost this post :O
I need a new bezel and a gasket for the newer Monster (SRPxxx series).

Can you send me a PVT, I want to buy them. Are your items 100% genuine from Seiko?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts