WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
WHERE TO BUY AQUALAND(1ST GEN) BEZEL INSERTS

hi there...

dagaz website has it....

search on webstore - bezel inserts- aqualand insert...

i bought one and it fits perfectly....

us$22.50 is the price

·
Registered
10 Posts
I regularly have trouble removing the spring loaded pin to change straps? seems all most seized but i was advised not to use oil to loosen it?

·
Premium Member
5,750 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
For a seized up rotating bezel, fill up a sink with warm water, and turn the bezel submerged a few times. Watch needs to be water resistant obviously.

·
Registered
293 Posts
The best way I have found to size a band with the pin and collar system is to use a dental pick with a hook on it. (found at walmart) its thinner than a normal pin pusher so it goes through the collar nicely and will push out the pins with very little effort. And the bend in the hook will catch the collar on the end so you don't loose the collar.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I hate 5 ring natos. I recently received one in a trade. And I don't know if people are aware of this or not, but you can cut the stupid tail part off with the extra rings in it and it makes a perfectly awesome 3 ring nato.

·
Registered
692 Posts
If your bezel becomes so incredibly tight that you're unable to move it you can use a 3-way caseback remover tool as an impromptu vise to grip the sides of the bezel and twist it until you're able to either remove it and grease it or free whatever obstruction is stopping it from rotating freely.

I know from bitter experience having mangled 2 knives and a nice SKX case experimenting with other methods.

·
Registered
9,480 Posts
I hate 5 ring natos. I recently received one in a trade. And I don't know if people are aware of this or not, but you can cut the stupid tail part off with the extra rings in it and it makes a perfectly awesome 3 ring nato.

I did this once (I'd accidentally ordered a 5 ring instead of a 3 ring and thought it would be easier to send back than return it) but when I cut the end and sealed it with a lighter I found that it ended up hard and scratchy against my skin. It was pretty much unwearable, is there a tip for getting a nice smooth clean finish on the cut and seal?

·
Registered
274 Posts
I've never seen it mentioned before, but here's something that worked for me: I was moddimg my SKX007, and if you've ever changed a bezel insert, you know how hard it can be, to get through the factory rubber cement. I don't have a heat gun, so I put the bezel in boiling water for a couple of minutes.

Loosened the glue up, and I didn't have to use a thin bladed knife.

AT1984

·
Registered
490 Posts
I did my first bezel insert swap on my most recent turtle 777. I had never taken off a Seiko bezel before. Reading the tutorials made it seem easy but when I tried to get any blade to get the bezel up it simply would not budge. I was using so much force that my fingers were getting sore trying to get between the case and the bezel. I got frustrated and tried prying which scrached the case and irritated me even more since the bezel still did not come up. I finally made a gap and got the bezel off and replaced the insert but after getting it back on it would not turn. I learned that there is a gasket inside the bezel that had come unseated and was keeping the bezel from turning. During that particular project I had to take off and remove the bezel about 5 or 6 times to get it right. I realized to easily get the bezel off is to put your thin blade in the gap and use the small watchmakers hammer to tap the blade in. Once the blade is in just work your way around and the bezel comes right off. This is effortless and if I had known this technique to start I never would have scratched the case by prying or gotten deep sore pressure groves in my thumb. A small amount of silicone grease really smoothed the action on the bezel also.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Should you get water inside the case - especially seawater - remove the case back and rinse thoroughly with distilled water. Dry thoroughly before replacing the case back. Of course with a quartz movement, you need to remove the battery before rinsing. This method saved my TAG Heuer quartz movement. With a mechanical movement, you may need to lubricate it before reassembly, but I'm not sure, as that is above my pay grade. You should probably replace the seal as well.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Any tip to remove Z20 or Z22 bands on non drill lugs ?

Hi guys,
I drilled to blood my fingers twice when trying to remove a seiko Z22 rubber band on an undrilled lugs watch.
I also plyied my tool (chinese steel before it was taxed).
Is ther a tip to succeed compressing the fat spring bars on a Z22 band ?

Should we make "windows" with a cutter blade on both ends before setting the band ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Re: Any tip to remove Z20 or Z22 bands on non drill lugs ?

Hi guys,
I drilled to blood my fingers twice when trying to remove a seiko Z22 rubber band on an undrilled lugs watch.
I also plyied my tool (chinese steel before it was taxed).
Is ther a tip to succeed compressing the fat spring bars on a Z22 band ?

Should we make "windows" with a cutter blade on both ends before puttong the band ?
On my SKX007 I had success using a watch back prying tool, the one with the yellow handle in this picture.
I used it to push the rubber watch band back and then the spring bar popped right off.
71TuLTAXVVL._UL1500_.jpg

·
Registered
525 Posts
Years later, but the tip here is to quickly squeeze the melted part between finger and thumb while soft, avoiding burning your fingertips. Soften, very quick squeeze, soften, very quick squeeze. You can mold the end to a smooth shape.

I did this once (I'd accidentally ordered a 5 ring instead of a 3 ring and thought it would be easier to send back than return it) but when I cut the end and sealed it with a lighter I found that it ended up hard and scratchy against my skin. It was pretty much unwearable, is there a tip for getting a nice smooth clean finish on the cut and seal?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Re: Tip for curing gritty crown threads

Tip for gritty feeling screw down crown: pull crown out all the way and run some waxed dental floss on the threads. The floss will come up black from machining grit. Keep doing it until the crown feels silky smooth when screwing down.

FWIW I've done this on a lot of watches but every Seiko diver I've handled has had this little issue (except 6309-7040) and this trick works really well... and you only really have to do it once and its good for years.
Best tip by far, just did it on my brand new SKX009 and it makes the whole unscrewing and screwing down of the crown a delight!! Thanks for this.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts