WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi ya'll,

i'm interested in purchasing a vintage rolex datejust, particularly the 1601 or 1603 model.

other than a watch sale with papers matching the serial #, how should i go about ensuring that it's authentic? i've been reading that the DJ is the most, or easiest watch to copy... should i google the specific model number and compare the face to an original? of course - buy the seller, not the watch but still, the seller may not be 100% aware of every little detail about said watch.

·
Registered
5,498 Posts
... but still, the seller may not be 100% aware of every little detail about said watch.
Then you bought the wrong seller.

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
lots and lots of research. and it helps to know exactly what style DJ you want. SS, dual-tone, plain/fluted bezel. oyster/jubilee band. this will help narrow down the wide selection. and read as much as you can about sellers reviews from former customers. also-I personally haven't seen any decent, original and authentic old DJ selling for less then $2000-even on the auction sites so that would be my bottom limit as for price. And there are plenty of sellers selling for far more then an older dj is worth too. good luck

·
Registered
875 Posts
Use the crown trick. Unscrew the twinlock crown and manual wind it. If it is butter smooth with just the right amount of tension, then the movement should be legit.

If it wind up sounding like a toy, run away..

·
Registered
437 Posts
Of course there are plenty of non-Rolex movements with really smooth winding, and plenty of unserviced Rolex movements with really awful winding (especially in a vintage piece), so this "trick" isn't necessarily wrong, but it's not going to be 100% accurate either.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts