WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I am getting addicted to Casio! The problem I keep having is that I'm living in the Netherlands and that G-Shocks are expensive here. For instance, my GW2310FB from the US was only $120, but I spent $22.50 on shipping and $35.10 on import charges, making it a $177 watch. Cheapest local website had it for $230 with free shipping, so importing was still cheaper.

But now I really want a DW-5600E, which is $41.51 shipped on Amazon.com if you live in the USA. On eBay, the cheapest US one (including shipping + taxes) is $75.50. Cheapest European one (faster shipping) is $90. Cheapest local website has it for $108. A cheap and simple watch now becomes a regular priced and simple watch.

Now it is not that I don't have the money, but I feel somewhat violated paying twice of what an American citizen does when he picks one up at his local Walmart. So I was wondering... do you guys know any way to get those watches here cheaper? I am not talking about dodging taxes! But maybe some sort of shared shipping-cost thing with fellow Europeans or a way to purchase watches on Amazon.com and send them overseas for cheap?

·
Registered
344 Posts
No. There's really no trick for that. Try to find it cheap from Europe or play the russian roulette with the custom. Ofcourse we finns could use the Åland Islands for dodging the taxes and things like that, but the effort costs even more money and time. What I do is that I buy a little more expensive model with the lowest price, that makes me feel like a winner even if I lose compared to CONUS folks.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Same here. I always see hell lot of good deals on eBay. And you know what? I wanted the exact same watch; the GW-2310FB (still want it). I saw it going for less than a hundred USD on eBay awhile ago. But the shipping is a whopping $40-50 bucks. I would also like to know if there are ways around it but I doubt anything can be done to the shipping fees. With the already smaller margin for profit by selling it cheaper online, I doubt anybody will lower it more than it actually costs.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No. There's really no trick for that. Try to find it cheap from Europe or play the russian roulette with the custom. Ofcourse we finns could use the Åland Islands for dodging the taxes and things like that, but the effort costs even more money and time. What I do is that I buy a little more expensive model with the lowest price, that makes me feel like a winner even if I lose compared to CONUS folks.
Playing Russian roulette with customs isn't an option anymore. Anytime I order something on eBay from the US, the import taxes are added automatically. I can't disable it.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Got the same problem. Have a GW-5000 underway to me from Japan. Customs will find that package for sure :( -As long Casio isn't selling higher end G-shocks here ( or at least selling them quicker here after release), you have to pay extra. Thats the downside of living in the EU.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I can relate to the OP: a Rangeman costs €299 in NL (where I live as well). If I didn't had the help of Starscream when I was in India, I would have missed out on the Indian price of €189 (converted from rupees to euro)... So in that regard I'm really not buying watches in NL/EU any more if the rest of the world gets it way cheaper all the time.

·
Registered
8,522 Posts
Got the same problem. Have a GW-5000 underway to me from Japan. Customs will find that package for sure :( -As long Casio isn't selling higher end G-shocks here ( or at least selling them quicker here after release), you have to pay extra. Thats the downside of living in the EU.
Living in the so-called EU is one big downside in pretty much any regard o| o| o|

cheers

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
There has to be a rule/law that says you only pay a duty above a certain amount so I would investigate what the rule is in your country. Also when you buy a watch and shipping is free the shipping charge might be counted as part of the taxable amount. On the other hand, if shipping is a separate charge the invoice will state it and it might lower the fee you pay.

As far as shipping costs, it's real expensive to ship from the US to Europe. And the cheaper services don't allow tracking or insurance unless it's done via something like stamps.com. For that reason I only ship internationally via the global shipping program on eBay unless the buyer wants to pay for FedEx or the actual costs of priority international and the w/e I'm shipping is worth less than 400 because that's the cap for priority international.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Turkish citizen speaking.
It is pretty much the same here with importing from USA, but you know what, i usually dont import them, unless they are collabs and only in select shop-releases :D G-shocks are cheap here. they do not value these watches. i myself cant see myself wearing something other than a G-shock, or a Nixon. Send me a pm whenever you cant find a g and i'll look for it here in the Turkish market. im pretty sure buying it here + shipping it to netherlands will be much cheaper than anything..

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
True. Above €22 we pay fees here.
That's correct. I can, for instance, import this watch and not have to pay any import fees.

Hi!

computer_freak,i have bought many G's in Germany. Good prices and fast delivery. Do some Googling on Uhr-shop. They have lots of G's at good prices.
Thanks, I know enough German to navigate through their website. Very reasonable prices. Shipping to my country is €12.

I also noticed that the GW-M5600 offers way more bang for your buck than the DW-5600E. For €30 more you get Tough Solar and Multiband 6. And it has the same DW-5000 derived styling.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts