WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I've been spending a bit of time on ebay looking at some 40-60 year old watches and was wondering if anybody could offer any advice when buying an older used watches like reputable sellers, sellers known to be moving knock offs, etc.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
Hey guys, I've been spending a bit of time on ebay looking at some 40-60 year old watches and was wondering if anybody could offer any advice when buying an older used watches like reputable sellers, sellers known to be moving knock offs, etc.

Thanks
' sellers known to be moving knock offs, etc.' i'm a little confused , which sellers are more important to you , the first or the latter!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Um, both are important. I'm looking at if there's anybody in particular that I should be avoiding or if any are any with a good reputation.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
People I've bought vintage watches from...

WatchUSeek & TImeZone:

Enicar.Racine
Cubbiepants
The Bigwatch Guy

eBay:

Anticvarius
Empressissi
HappyHappy9877
Holbens Fine Watches
Palmetto Watch
Vintage_Hamilton

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
People I've bought vintage watches from...

WatchUSeek & TImeZone:

Enicar.Racine
Cubbiepants
The Bigwatch Guy

eBay:

Anticvarius
Empressissi
HappyHappy9877
Holbens Fine Watches
Palmetto Watch
Vintage_Hamilton
Were these all positive experiences with an authentic product?

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Reactions: Mr. Panerai

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Good to know! It's nice to have some sellers you know you can go to when there's wayyy too many frauds on eBay.
I buy quite a few vintage watches on eBay. I've been doing so for years, and have studied most of the brands I buy pretty closely. eBay enforcement continues to improve. eBay is totally slanted to protecting the buyer, which is why I buy there. I've seen very little fraud and what little I've seen, eBay, on the whole,has been vigorous about running it down.

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
Buying any vintage watch -even from a reputable seller is never an exact science ablar - lot of homework -and certainly weighing up the purchase cost against servicing and parts [if available ] - doesn't stop us doing it all the same and getting pleasure from it . Welcome to the forum by the way

·
Vintage & NAWCC Forum moderator
2,429 Posts
Antique and vintage watches have their pitfalls, although they are different from current production watches.

For most brands out there(aside from a few high profile ones that you can probably guess) outright fakes are rare. The real dangers are in buying pieced-together watches that consist entirely of authentic parts but represent a variation which never existed, as well as original watches with reproduction or refinished parts. In particular, a reproduction or (poorly) refinished original dial can kill the value of a watch.

Your own research and familiarity with the watches is far more important in my opinion than buying from a dealer, reputable or otherwise. I've seen otherwise excellent and trustworthy dealers unintentionally offer some real dogs when they ventured outside their own areas of expertise. Knowing the watches you're interested in also puts you in a favorable position to buy them when they come up for sale from a hit-or-miss source like an unknown seller on Ebay.

Reactions: jsw41 and Rdenney

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
Antique and vintage watches have their pitfalls, although they are different from current production watches.

For most brands out there(aside from a few high profile ones that you can probably guess) outright fakes are rare. The real dangers are in buying pieced-together watches that consist entirely of authentic parts but represent a variation which never existed, as well as original watches with reproduction or refinished parts. In particular, a reproduction or (poorly) refinished original dial can kill the value of a watch.

Your own research and familiarity with the watches is far more important in my opinion than buying from a dealer, reputable or otherwise. I've seen otherwise excellent and trustworthy dealers unintentionally offer some real dogs when they ventured outside their own areas of expertise. Knowing the watches you're interested in also puts you in a favorable position to buy them when they come up for sale from a hit-or-miss source like an unknown seller on Ebay.

exactly correct and well put Ben !

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I buy quite a few vintage watches on eBay. I've been doing so for years, and have studied most of the brands I buy pretty closely. eBay enforcement continues to improve. eBay is totally slanted to protecting the buyer, which is why I buy there. I've seen very little fraud and what little I've seen, eBay, on the whole,has been vigorous about running it down.
I've bought a vintage watch on eBay too that was authentic and great, which I wear quite often. I've also however, bought 3 different watches, all of which upon further inspection on arrival were "Frankenwatches" one of which was sent in non-working condition, with severe water damage that had caused significant corrosion in the gear train.

I returned two with little issue, and had some trouble that was eventually resolved by eBay with one of the returns.

My experiences have obviously been quite different from yours, so I'm much more skeptical. I agree, eBay tends to have great customer service and is extremely helpful at resolving issues (got all my money back and all that), but as someone who has a 75% falsely advertised, mislead by seller etc. record, when buying watches on eBay, I find you make it seem much better than is actually the case.

I may have made it sound like the bulk of sellers are scheming thieves in my first post, and there's just a small pocket of honest sellers, which is both unfair and not what I was trying to say, but like I said when you've been cheated 3/4 times you tend to be left with a bitter taste in your mouth.

·
Registered
257 Posts
The key with vintage watches is to make sure you have a good watchmaker/repairer on standby to go over any recent purchases with you where they can check the timing, amplitude, oils/lubricants, and overall condition of the movement, case and seals. I just bought a vintage chronograph watch and the first time I used the chrono feature, one of the hands flew off during the reset. Thankfully it was only a $75 dollar fix and including the overall price it was still a good deal, but make sure and factor things like that into the ownership.

-Troy

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
The key with vintage watches is to make sure you have a good watchmaker/repairer on standby to go over any recent purchases with you where they can check the timing, amplitude, oils/lubricants, and overall condition of the movement, case and seals. I just bought a vintage chronograph watch and the first time I used the chrono feature, one of the hands flew off during the reset. Thankfully it was only a $75 dollar fix and including the overall price it was still a good deal, but make sure and factor things like that into the ownership.

-Troy
Words of wisdom!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts