WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 3092 Posts

·
Registered
15,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have nothing to do with them, but I just think they really deserve to be known better.

I just took delivery of a white porcelain dial classical model.
My 2nd one from Tisell - the first was the same in Rosegold.

Sea-Gull 6498 movement. Clean!
Heat treated blue hands. Immaculate. Excellent quality control.
$119, delivered. Now THAT's an honest price!! :-!

Came on a nice black leather, but am not a fan of black straps, and it felt a bit too formal to me, so put it on a Nato.
Some dirty pics. Better ones later.

2015-04-23 00.49.46.jpg 2015-04-23 00.50.15.jpg 2015-04-23 00.50.25.jpg 2015-04-23 00.50.59.jpg

·
Premium Member
6,990 Posts
I think their Korean-only website, and their very European-sounding name, has impeded their market penetration significantly. The samples I've seen on WUS look quite nice, though.

Reactions: Bodyblue and Sullus

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Their website recently went US English with worldwide shipping. Check it out if you've not visited in a while.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I think their Korean-only website, and their very European-sounding name, has impeded their market penetration significantly.
Indeed. In my opinion, it unintentionally communicates a sense of inauthenticity.
Curiously though, I'm not at all turned off by a New Zealander's choice to give his brand an name which conjures up "Old Italy".

·
Registered
852 Posts
I really like the looks of that classic roman numeral model but at 44mm it's probably too big for me to go for it.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Agreed - they do seem to offer a lot of quality for the price. Here's mine:

IMG_2679a.jpg

I've been very impressed with the watch. I believe the hands are heat-treated and the crystal sapphire. It's a real pleasure to wind and set this watch - it feels very clean and precise, no slack at all. And although I do live in the same general area, I'm not associated with them either!

·
Registered
69 Posts
I had no idea they had a separate English website I only knew of their international sales through their eBay account. These are great buys for sure!

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Nice looking watch, I just went on their site looks like I'll have to get one!

·
Registered
15,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Indeed. In my opinion, it unintentionally communicates a sense of inauthenticity.
Curiously though, I'm not at all turned off by a New Zealander's choice to give his brand an name which conjures up "Old Italy".
Ya, I hear ya.

But to be a bit "academic" about it - just talking in general, ok? - this is exactly how real racism works - subconsciously, not in being outright rude or calling names.
This insight is readily acknowledged in psychology. (See Zizek on this issue, for example.)

Just a constantly lingering, but not really justifiable, sense of "No, you cant do that. But any one of us can. I dunno why that is, but that's how it is" kind of attitude.

Would you find them more "authentic" if they had gone with a name like
Kimduksoo or Wang Chung? Somehow, I doubt it.

A "weird" name would only accentuate their "foreignness", their "not a club member" status.
Some people will submit / hang on to this most insidious form of racism no after what - only because they cannot see it.

But to each his own.
Shrug.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I think their Korean-only website, and their very European-sounding name, has impeded their market penetration significantly. The samples I've seen on WUS look quite nice, though.
How much do you think the brand name Kia has hurt that companies ability to market their brand? My thoughts are a Chinese watch with Chinese writing on the dial is cool and I'd love to get one. When there's English print on the dial I'd rather see Tissell than Winner or Bagelsport. This almost sound like an extension of the homage/replica arguements.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I've been waiting for their 40mm pilots to show up on either ebay or the new site before giving them a whirl. Good to see that the English site's selection is expanding.

·
Registered
15,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've been waiting for their 40mm pilots to show up on either ebay or the new site before giving them a whirl. Good to see that the English site's selection is expanding.
It's not worth bidding. People seem not to know that Tisell has a website.
So they end up paying more on ebay.
I think all or most of their watches are 119 shipped.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
The Tisell name wasn't my favorite thing about the watch, but it didn't put me off buying it. Then later, somewhere, I read a simple explanation of the name, which made me feel OK about it. At least I think I read it somewhere, and I think I felt OK about it. I have searched, unsuccessfully. I don't remember the explanation, but I remember being satisfied with it. It's possible, of course, that I imagined this. I think it was some sort of portmanteau word. The explanation didn't make the name any more melodious, but it made me like it a little more. I think.

Does anyone know? If not, any advice for dealing with encroaching senility?

1 - 20 of 3092 Posts