WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All!

Today I bring a new query to you attention.

In my time as a collector, I've noticed several changes that Tissot has made with branding. For example, I know that around 1960, they changed their dial logo from a scripted logo, to a printed-font logo. I know that come cases were just marked "TISSOT" while some were marked with the Tissot Shield. And now I have just learned that some cases were marked "Chs Tissot & Fils". I'd like to know the exact years all these different logo are attributed and possibly why each case has the logo it has, if there was any crossover.

1) When did Tissot stop using the scripted Logo

2) When was the "Chs Tissot & Fils" Logo used? Also, I believe there was a design/trademark change here made at some point.

3) Why did Tissot sometimes stamp their casebacks with the shield and sometimes not?

And of course, the watch that brings all of this into question: A "1960's" Tissot Chronograph with a Lemania 1281 Movement.

Features the "old" scripted Logo on the dial:
tissot_1281_1.jpg

The caseback features the "Chs. Tissot & Fils" logo. Also the Serial # "303 A 2", I think...Might also be "308 A 2". No shield
tissot_1281_3.jpg

The movement also has the "Chs. Tissot & Fils" Logo and the movement has the Lemania serial # 1472081
tissot_1281_2.jpg

I didn't take these pictures, so I'm sorry for the poor quality.

What do you guys think? As always, I'm sure this will be a very educational thread!

Regards,

Joe

·
Premium Member
7,567 Posts
I don't know the detailed answers to your questions, but the reference of this chronograph is definitely 808A (not 303 or 308).

Edit: While it will be educational if people can answer your more general questions, if your main goal is to determine authenticity of this particular example, the most efficient way would be for you to find a handful of similar examples via Google search and compare their caseback engravings, movement serial numbers, etc. For what it's worth, my feeling is that this one looks correct. Also, I could be wrong, but since the movement is signed Tissot, I think that the serial number would be consistent with the sequence of Tissot serials, not Lemania serials.

Edit2: I am now doubting my comment above about serial numbers. A 1.4million Tissot serial number is apparently from the mid 1940s, and I believe the 808A model was from the 1960s.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I don't know the detailed answers to your questions, but the reference of this chronograph is definitely 808A (not 303 or 308).
You are absolutely correct! And according to that link you posted, the 808A was something of a transitional piece that came with both a signed logo and a printed logo.

Edit: While it will be educational if people can answer your more general questions, if your main goal is to determine authenticity of this particular example, the most efficient way would be for you to find a handful of similar examples via Google search and compare their caseback engravings, movement serial numbers, etc. For what it's worth, my feeling is that this one looks correct. Also, I could be wrong, but since the movement is signed Tissot, I think that the serial number would be consistent with the sequence of Tissot serials, not Lemania serials.
Firstly, so many of the Tissot's that I looks at (and I looked for a few hours), seem to be such a hodge-podge of different pieces, that it's hard to figure out which to trust. Secondly, I've determined that this watch IS authentic, as the seller is the original owner that has never had it restored in any way. That being said, for future reference, I'd like to know the differences so that I don't have to constantly post about determining the authenticity of particular watches. Besides, hearing everyone's different experiences is always fun!

Edit2: I am now doubting my comment above about serial numbers. A 1.4million Tissot serial number is apparently from the mid 1940s, and I believe the 808A model was from the 1960s.
Yes, I did the exact lookup and also got 1940, indicating to me that the serial # is definitely a Lemania.

So I'd still like to know, for example, why this watch's caseback doesn't have the Tissot Shield. And this of course ties into my 3 queries in my first post.

-Joe

1 - 4 of 4 Posts