WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Which is better based on quality and quality alone?

• Tissot

Votes: 120 51.5%
  • Citizen

Votes: 113 48.5%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just doing some research for my new watch...I've come across many models from the two which I'd like. I've read about them and the materials(and movements) used on them(while doing some surveys for a local watch shop). I've talked to owners about how they are to live with day to day. But now I've decided to take a step back and look at the companies that produces them. Which do you think offer more for the money? I know they're adressed to different segments on the market, especially Tissot whcih have they're own little niche, but which one would you chose based on quality an quality alone when it comes to watches starting from 300 and going up to 600(maybe 700) dollars?!

B

·
0 Posts
Impossible to answer.

Are you comparing Tissot mecahnical movements to Citizen quartz movements?

S

·
0 Posts
I can`t answer either. Better to compare model to model not brand to brand. BTW: You own a Tissot and two Citizen, you should already have some kind of opinion, right ?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm talking about overall quality of the materials used. And I forgot to mention...only quartz.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I can`t answer either. Better to compare model to model not brand to brand. BTW: You own a Tissot and two Citizen, you should already have some kind of opinion, right ?
Actually two Tissots(one I only wear very very rarely) and 2 Citizens...but they are very different styles. I allready have my opinion formed. I was just wondering what is the general opinion on overall quality of the two.

·
Registered
104 Posts
If you are speaking in general terms, I think the occupy virtually the same market space across most of their lines. So generally, I would think that they are virtually identical in terms of quality for most of that range. I think in the $200-$500 sweet spot, where both lines' mid range lie, I would give the edge to Citizen. That, however is comparing a 11 year old Eco Drive, to my brother's mor recent Tissots (which he collects). My brother seems to have an unusual number of movement problems, too. Things like hands not lining up with each other, or being far off markers, or nooning/date change that has migrated to 4:00 etc... if you can live with all of that, I guess you are OK for a Tissot, but I can't somehow imagine the same things on a Citizen, for some reason.

One issue I have with Tissot, is that of brand management. I have no ideal what the brand stands for. I'm even more confused after visiting Switzerland a few weeks ago, where every single tourist trap without fail offered a wide range of Swiss Army and Tissot watches for your consideration. Some added Rado or others, but even the little stand in the middle of the bridge in Lucerne had a pile of Tissots. Not sure what it means, as I said, just confusing...

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you are speaking in general terms, I think the occupy virtually the same market space across most of their lines. So generally, I would think that they are virtually identical in terms of quality for most of that range. I think in the $200-$500 sweet spot, where both lines' mid range lie, I would give the edge to Citizen. That, however is comparing a 11 year old Eco Drive, to my brother's mor recent Tissots (which he collects). My brother seems to have an unusual number of movement problems, too. Things like hands not lining up with each other, or being far off markers, or nooning/date change that has migrated to 4:00 etc... if you can live with all of that, I guess you are OK for a Tissot, but I can't somehow imagine the same things on a Citizen, for some reason.

One issue I have with Tissot, is that of brand management. I have no ideal what the brand stands for. I'm even more confused after visiting Switzerland a few weeks ago, where every single tourist trap without fail offered a wide range of Swiss Army and Tissot watches for your consideration. Some added Rado or others, but even the little stand in the middle of the bridge in Lucerne had a pile of Tissots. Not sure what it means, as I said, just confusing...
That's one of my concerns with Tissot...it's getting a bit "swatch"-ish isn't it? Also design wise it looks like the are starting to make "power-rangers" watches. But quality wise they are good...

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,063 Posts
Just doing some research for my new watch...I've come across many models from the two which I'd like. I've read about them and the materials(and movements) used on them(while doing some surveys for a local watch shop). I've talked to owners about how they are to live with day to day. But now I've decided to take a step back and look at the companies that produces them. Which do you think offer more for the money? I know they're adressed to different segments on the market, especially Tissot whcih have they're own little niche, but which one would you chose based on quality an quality alone when it comes to watches starting from 300 and going up to 600(maybe 700) dollars?!

You will need to pick out a line from Citizen and from Tissot for any meaningful answers. The Citizen line in particular is way too broad.

PS: If it is quartz then Citizen hands down given that their models include The Citizen watches which are probably close to the pinnacle for high end quartz watches.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You will need to pick out a line from Citizen and from Tissot for any meaningful answers. The Citizen line in particular is way too broad.

PS: If it is quartz then Citizen hands down given that their models include The Citizen watches which are probably close to the pinnacle for high end quartz watches.
Well I'm referring to overall build quality. Leaving aside the movements. Materials used on the bracelet and case or crystals...quality of the leather...the overall feel of the watch after it has aged a bit:roll:.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
I can't say I've had any experience with Citizen, but most accounts say that they are good quality for money. I have had experience with Tissot, and can say that they are very, very good for the money.
I'd have to choose Tissot over Citizen, though. Citizen seems to be hanging it's hat on Eco-Drive, which really isn't that big of a deal. It will eventually fail, batteries and battery changes are cheap, and having an Eco-Drive comes with the aesthetic cost of having "Eco-Drive" printed in big letters over the dial.
Tissots also have things like sapphire crystals, deployment buckles, and see-through casebacks, all nice little touches.
However, Tissot's main selling point, to me, is its uniqueness. They're not very common over here in the States (although they're a dime a dozen in the CH), they have some fairly unique designs, and very unique prices for what you get.
Oh, and Citizen has a crappy name.
(One area where Citizen does lead Tissot is in the production of "tool" watches. Stuff like the Aqualand. Except for the T-Touch range, Tissot makes nothing like that. However, were I buying a watch like a T-Touch, or an Aqualand, I'd probably have to get a Casio.)

·
Registered
9,345 Posts
I can't say I've had any experience with Citizen, but most accounts say that they are good quality for money. I have had experience with Tissot, and can say that they are very, very good for the money.
I'd have to choose Tissot over Citizen, though. Citizen seems to be hanging it's hat on Eco-Drive, which really isn't that big of a deal. It will eventually fail, batteries and battery changes are cheap, and having an Eco-Drive comes with the aesthetic cost of having "Eco-Drive" printed in big letters over the dial.
Tissots also have things like sapphire crystals, deployment buckles, and see-through casebacks, all nice little touches.
However, Tissot's main selling point, to me, is its uniqueness. They're not very common over here in the States (although they're a dime a dozen in the CH), they have some fairly unique designs, and very unique prices for what you get.
(One area where Citizen does lead Tissot is in the production of "tool" watches. Stuff like the Aqualand. Except for the T-Touch range, Tissot makes nothing like that. However, were I buying a watch like a T-Touch, or an Aqualand, I'd probably have to get a Casio.)
What's wrong with Citizen's name? Frankly I quite like it, and their logo. Also there is nothing 'aesthetically costly' about having 'eco-drive' written on your watch - it's certainly no worse than 'automatic', or 'quartz'.

I like Tissot too, I have one. But your arguments for one over the other, frankly, are pretty poor.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When talking about quartz in the 300 to 700 dollars range(which I'm interested in right now) I'll have to say they will all eventually fail at one time or the other. But that's the beauty of quartz...you can replace the movement with very little costs. If you think "Eco-Drive" written on the watch adds to the price then what do you say about "MotoGP" writting? What really annoyses me is that the T-Race MotoGP version is sold for a lot more than a normal T-Race. You get the same materials on the case and the same G10 movement...with a new paint-job on the watch and a ton of things(like a bag and some medalions and a helmet shaped-box) which you will most likely never use. So you're just paying some extra $$$ for a lot of marketing stuff.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
C'mon, I'm sure that helmet shaped box has a multitude of uses...

Walrus: yet again, you are the voice of reason around here.
Ou yes of course...I'm not doubting that for a second...:think:...next time i'm expecting a motorcycle shaped-box...in real size!

·
Registered
9,345 Posts
C'mon, I'm sure that helmet shaped box has a multitude of uses...

Walrus: yet again, you are the voice of reason around here.
Thanks Brocktoon - it's not that I mind people having preferences - it's that this sort of extreme fanboyism is really bothersome. To say that you have NO experience with Citizen watches, and then to proceed to come out so strongly against them - in a topic where someone is clearly looking for neutral opinions is bad form to my mind.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've just finished reading the "best bang for the buck" thread and I've seen the Citizen brand pop up more often next to the "Best" word than Tissot! Yet on this topic we have 50-50 at this moment! By the way...for a watch that was not ment to go diving with is it ok to have a snap-on case back? Or is it better to have a screw-down case back even on non-diving watches?

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
If you think "Eco-Drive" written on the watch adds to the price then what do you say about "MotoGP" writting? What really annoyses me is that the T-Race MotoGP version is sold for a lot more than a normal T-Race.
I didn't say that having MotoGP written on something was a positive. I didn't say that that helmet shaped box was worth something. Branding and endorsement are what they are, for pretty much any company. Tissot might be the only one to give you a stupid helmet. To the extent of my knowledge, Tissot is the only watch company producing a watch in association with MotoGP.
What's wrong with Citizen's name? Frankly I quite like it, and their logo. Also there is nothing 'aesthetically costly' about having 'eco-drive' written on your watch - it's certainly no worse than 'automatic', or 'quartz'.
Go over to the "Worst Watch Name" thread. Citizen is among the top rankers, and I agree with that. A citizen is a resident of a country who has pledged their allegiance to that country. Good thing to be. Bad watch name. Straight up English words seldom are.
As for Eco-Drive, Citizen's block italics are not nearly as aesthetically mellifluous as, say, my Breitling's small, red, square "AUTOMATIC" or Orient's elegant cursive one. They could have used a better font.
When talking about quartz in the 300 to 700 dollars range(which I'm interested in right now) I'll have to say they will all eventually fail at one time or the other. But that's the beauty of quartz...you can replace the movement with very little costs. If you think "Eco-Drive" written on the watch adds to the price then what do you say about "MotoGP" writting? What really annoyses me is that the T-Race MotoGP version is sold for a lot more than a normal T-Race. You get the same materials on the case and the same G10 movement...with a new paint-job on the watch and a ton of things(like a bag and some medalions and a helmet shaped-box) which you will most likely never use. So you're just paying some extra $$$ for a lot of marketing stuff.
When did I ever say that having "Eco-Drive" written on the watch adds to the cost? I didn't. I say it came with an aesthetic cost. Translation: it's ugly. It detracts from the overall aesthetic value of the watch.
Thanks Brocktoon - it's not that I mind people having preferences - it's that this sort of extreme fanboyism is really bothersome. To say that you have NO experience with Citizen watches, and then to proceed to come out so strongly against them - in a topic where someone is clearly looking for neutral opinions is bad form to my mind.
Extreme fanboyism? Re-read my OP. I said that I had had no experience with Citizen, but that the overall consensus was that they were very good watches for the money. I then stated that Tissot, the company with which I had had personal experience, made excellent watches for the money. So I like a watch company with which I have had good experiences. That's hardly being an extreme fanboy.
I then stated that Citizen was hanging it's hat on the Eco-Drive movement, and I gave examples as to why I think that's not such an important thing to hang one's hat one. Aesthetics and engineering do not require personal experience.
I then stated that Tissot provides nice little touches like sapphire crystals, deployment clasps, and see-through casebacks. Objective things that I did not need to have personal experience with Citizen to know. Some Citizen models have sapphire crystals, I know, and deployment clasps, probably even see-though casebacks (although since this discussion is limited to quartz watches, this isn't an issue.)
I then said, subjectively, that I like Tissot because, where I live, it's fairly unique. I like Breitling over Rolex for the same reason, Orient over Seiko for the same reason.
I conclude that, in my opinion, Tissot offers better value for money. Some of that is subjective, some is objective, but none of it has to do with "extreme fanboyism." And I certainly haven't "come out so strongly against Citizen." At the beginning of my original post, I said that I had no personal experience with Citizen, but from the majority of accounts I've read about them, I'd say that they make excellent watches. I also conceded that Citizen makes better "tool" watches- things like the Aqualand, in addition to the one's I didn't name, like the Zilla and some of their divers. The Zilla isn't my cup of tea, and if I was doing work that required something like an Aqualand, I'd probably get a Casio for cheaper, but I can easily see why people would buy them.
To the OP: Sorry to derail your thread. If you're not dead-set on Citizen or Tissot, also look at: Certina, Hamilton, Orient, Seiko Kinetic, lower end TAG Heuer, Swiss Army.

1 - 20 of 145 Posts