WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a replacement strap for my Tissot Visodate, and I was wondering if any of you guys has any experience with fitting a Tissot original 18mm deployant on a 20x18 DeBeer croco grain strap.

The strap in question is this one: 20mm Crocodile Grain Brown Matching Stitch Leather deBeer Mens Watch Band Strap | eBay

Reason I'm asking is the deployant on a Le Locle I have wouldn't work on some hadley romas because of the thickness of the leather and the padding.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Hi Alx007,

Though I haven't had specific experience with the de Beer straps, I think I still may be able to help you out.

I'm looking for a replacement strap for my Tissot Visodate, and I was wondering if any of you guys has any experience with fitting a Tissot original 18mm deployant on a 20x18 DeBeer croco grain strap.

Reason I'm asking is the deployant on a Le Locle I have wouldn't work on some hadley romas because of the thickness of the leather and the padding.
Tissot deployment clasps
Though Tissot uses several sizes of deployment clasps on its leather strapped watches, the 18mm clasp is the most common.
T640015876 - 14mm clasp
T640L860110 - 18mm clasp
T640027419 - 18mm Titanium clasp
T640028386 - 20mm clasp
T640028706 - 20mm Titanium clasp
T640028387 - 22mm clasp

Generally speaking, most watch straps are 2mm thinner at the buckle than they are at the lugs (20mm lugs = 18mm buckle).
Most people on this forum however will have noticed that Tissot likes to use the non-standard lug widths of 19mm (18mm buckle) or 21mm (18mm or 20mm buckle).

Potential issues
The issue with deployment clasps as opposed to buckles, as you note, comes from the fact that the opening of a buckle is much larger than that of a deployment clasp. You are right that often it is the width (spreading from 18mm on the first holes to 19m nearer the last holes) or the general thickness of the strap is the problem. Other problems can also be seen with the size or shape of the strap holes differing from the size of the deployment clasp "pin".

Troubleshooting the de Beer strap
*Lugs: Assuming that the Visiodate has 20mm lugs (or you are comfortable squeezing it on 19mm lugs - as many people are) I see no problems there.
*Attachment: The straps come with springbars so there should be no issue with either re-using the Visodate or the new de Beer springbars - providing of course you have a springbar tool.
*Thickness: The maximum thickness of the padded strap is 3.5mm thick which is medium (I have 18mm deployments on 7mm thick straps). I think the key reason why I don't expect this strap will be a problem is that it is stitched round the edge, so the perimeter will be only 1mm thick.
*Holes: The holes in the strap are regular round and of a conventional size. These are perfect for a deployment clasp pin.
*Adjustment: There are seven holes to enable the sizing to be perfected. Note that depending on how tight you need it, the upper holes may be a little tighter on the clasp as the strap is starting to flare from 18mm to 19mm to 20mm.

I would be confident enough to buy this strap. Hope you post a pic once done.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It worked out in the end. I like the color of the strap. The deployant worked, even though was a little tight. Also, the strap is still a little stiff from being new. I'll have to wear the Visodate full time the next coming weeks (what a sacrifice!) to see if the leather will break and soften.

As promised, here are the pictures:

vd01.jpg

vd02.jpg

·
Registered
436 Posts
Hi Alx007,

It looks great!

It worked out in the end. I like the color of the strap. The deployant worked, even though was a little tight. Also, the strap is still a little stiff from being new. I'll have to wear the Visodate full time the next coming weeks (what a sacrifice!) to see if the leather will break and soften.

As promised, here are the pictures:
I really like the colour and the grain. I think it is a fantastic contrast to the clear white face.
I'm sure the 'hardship" of wearing it all week will result in the a supple and personal-shaped band that you will love.

Thanks very much for posting these pics.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi all,
I'd like to revive this thread. I'm also looking for a replacement strap for my Visodate, the same I assume as the op's.
I need replacement leather for this strap here: T640028386 - 20mm clasp.
An original replacement costs me about 63 EUR excluding shipping, I hope to do better than that!
Thanks,
Wim

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, you can - for $85 you can get a genuine alligator from De Beers. Genuine Alligator Watchband – Matte Finish with Square Scales Watch Band, Alligator Watch Bands & Straps

I got a brown matte for the same watch I posted here, and it is by far the best fit you can get for a visodate. The strap makes the watch feel like a $1000 watch. Just like that. It's super comfortable, well finished, works perfectly with the clasp. It is pricey, but I can't recommend this strap enough.

Pictures of my Visodate when I first got the strap:
Visodate_Buckle.jpg VIsodate_Back.jpg Visodate-Face.jpg

Hi all,
I'd like to revive this thread. I'm also looking for a replacement strap for my Visodate, the same I assume as the op's.
I need replacement leather for this strap here: T640028386 - 20mm clasp.
An original replacement costs me about 63 EUR excluding shipping, I hope to do better than that!
Thanks,
Wim

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the info!
One question though: if I click on the link I see a strap with a pin buckle. Can this be converted to take the Visodate deployment buckle ?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts