WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I was looking into an everyday swiss-made watch that can be used for formal and casual attire. I'm looking for something like the Tissot Gentleman, my only problem with it is the lack of a screw down crown. I was hoping to find something with 100M and a screw-down crown, any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
5,045 Posts
What's your price range - are we talking under $1k like the Gentleman? If you can stretch to $1500 there's the Monta Noble, which could honestly be someone's only watch. Monta's quality is truly impressive for the price. In a similar price bracket, check out the Oak & Oscar Olmsted, which is assembled in the USA and gives off a more casual vibe. If you're looking in the $500 range, I'd suggest abandoning "Swiss made" and looking at micros like the Traska Summiteer or the Astor + Banks Fortitude or Orion Hellcat.

Between the two extremes - again, not Swiss - there's the new Seiko Presage Sharp Edged series, which will run you around $900.

Happy hunting!

·
Registered
4,598 Posts
Hey guys, I was looking into an everyday swiss-made watch that can be used for formal and casual attire. I'm looking for something like the Tissot Gentleman, my only problem with it is the lack of a screw down crown. I was hoping to find something with 100M and a screw-down crown, any suggestions?
The Tissot PRC200 Powermatic 80 is rather versatile and it has a screw down crown with a water resistance rating of 200m. It can be had new for under USD $500 on the gray market.
tissot.jpg

·
Registered
103 Posts
What's your price range - are we talking under $1k like the Gentleman? If you can stretch to $1500 there's the Monta Noble, which could honestly be someone's only watch. Monta's quality is truly impressive for the price. In a similar price bracket, check out the Oak & Oscar Olmsted, which is assembled in the USA and gives off a more casual vibe. If you're looking in the $500 range, I'd suggest abandoning "Swiss made" and looking at micros like the Traska Summiteer or the Astor + Banks Fortitude or Orion Hellcat.

Between the two extremes - again, not Swiss - there's the new Seiko Presage Sharp Edged series, which will run you around $900.

Happy hunting!
I think you got this one in one! The only other one I'd throw in there is the Monta Triumph if he doesn't mind the arabic numerals. They can be found on ebay or this sit for 1-1.4k and are a great everyday watch. I've got one and a noble on pre order, they ship this month finally!!!!. Also own a O&O Humboldt and Traska summiteer. Can't go wrong with any of these choices. Great watches with excellent finish and WR. Id say the step up from summiteer to a watch like the triumph is worth it. The anti scratch on the traska is no joke and my watch still looks like new. Only gripe i have is the miyota 9039 is a uni-directional bumper and is very noisy when it gets going. But they are supposedly hardier than the bidirectional ones. So just preference.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry I should've specified my budget for this is under $600, I really like the Monta but a bit too pricy. Some other budget Swiss brands I know are decent would be Mido, Certina, Hamilton and I'm not sure what else, but I'm looking for a swiss watch with a simple design (preferably no numerals) and decent water resistance (100M+ with a screw-down crown). Also my wrist is a bit small so 40mm is probably the best fit. Thanks for any suggestions!

Edit: Also would like a date at the three o'clock position.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Sorry I should've specified my budget for this is under $600, I really like the Monta but a bit too pricy. Some other budget Swiss brands I know are decent would be Mido, Certina, Hamilton and I'm not sure what else, but I'm looking for a swiss watch with a simple design (preferably no numerals) and decent water resistance (100M+ with a screw-down crown). Also my wrist is a bit small so 40mm is probably the best fit. Thanks for any suggestions!

Edit: Also would like a date at the three o'clock position.
Sounds like astor & banks fortitude would hit most of your boxes. The Swiss brands you mentioned don't have much of a non-dive watch style with 100m wr and screw down crown in your budget. The seiko pressage would work, but neither of these nor the Fortitude are Swiss. I'll be interested to see others response. I'm fairly new to the hobby and the sub 500 isn't my main area of focus. I'd say that microbrands will probably get you must bang for buck.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I've got an average sized wrist and the Tissot Gentleman took up all the real estate on the top of my wrist, which is a no-go for me. Instead I went with the DS Podium and just today received it. Good size, nicely styled case, good movement.

My concept is the same as yours: the one watch to wear casually, perhaps on a nylon ribbon strap, or under a dress shirt while wearing a suit. From trail to business meeting.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Above your budget (although on gray market not too much above) and 42mm - Mido multifort chronometer 1

·
Registered
152 Posts
The Tissot Gentleman has 100 M water resistance, though not a screw down crown.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Can I ask why it has to be Swiss? That is going to rule out a lot of microbrands and, relatedly, Asian movements that are the equivalent of whatever Swiss movement (ETA) you would likely get in your price range.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts