WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I'm currently looking at the Tissot Visodate Heritage. I really like the clean retro vibe of the watch. I'm about to pull the trigger on it, but there is a couple of details that I'm not sure about:

1. At 40 mm, will the watch keep is "dress watch" appearance or will it look big? I have 6,25 wrists...flat ones. Will it fit me? I'm wearing my Longines Hydroconquest 41 mm as I'm writting this.

2. Shall I pick the white or black one? Which one is the more versatile? The watch will be worn for formal occasions, in class (Bachelor in Administration/ HR), at the local bistro,etc.

3. Since I have fairly small wrists I'm pretty sure that the Tissot leather strap wont fit me well. Do anyone know where I can find decent straps for my poor wrists? Also, do you think that a Nato and/or leather nato would suit the style of the Visodate?

(Kind of loving the Tissot T-tempo also...anyone?)

Feel free to share your opinions and to recommend other watches.

As usual, best regards,

Phil

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,200 Posts
No experience with the watch, but some say it wears a bit big. A little tall and difficult to fit under cuffs. Also have heard some say that it isn't as appealing in person as it is in pics.

·
Registered
10,183 Posts
Yeah, that's a very frequent comment from people here about the visodate, it being a bit too plain and thick. So this is probably one of those pieces that you should go out and find irl, see if it works for you.

That said, a 40mm case is, by modern standards, not a large size, and thus should work on any wrist.
A nato - fabric or leather - would (imo) not work with a formal dress watch at all - you really have to stick to leather straps. What you can do, is look for non-lacquered, minimally padded straps with matte finish, they are generally softer and more pliant, and will therefore curve around your wrist better. A very common, safe suggestion would be to look for Hirsch leather straps (it's kinda like the Seiko of watch straps - kinda cheap, good quality, available all over the internet, even on amazon etc.).
If I were buying a visodate, or a similar dress watch, I'd pick a white dial. Go the whole hog, right? Plus, a white dial watch + an orange/tan leather strap would make for a good casual combo. A black-dial dress watch is much harder to dress down and casualize, so to speak. The white is more versatile, and therefore (imo) better value.

·
Premium Member
73,660 Posts
Hi Philippe, personally I love the white Visodate but size wise I reckon you need to try it on. The Tissot straps have a poor reputation anyway so you wouldn't be loosing anything. IMO the Visodate has GOT to go on another leather strap because it's a dressy watch.

·
Registered
146 Posts
To me, the Visodate does not wear big at all, but it is a little tall. I have a 7" wrist, and it is a little difficult getting the watch on, so you may be able to wear the stock strap.

I agree with others, the white dial is more versatile.

The Visodate was my first automatic. I loved it when I first bought it, but now that I have a bit of a collection, it does not hold as much interest for me. I think it looks as good, or almost as good, as most of the images I have seen, but on the other hand some of the watches I bought after acquiring the Visodate look much better in person than in their pictures.

My feeling is that if you can pick up a used one at a good price, you will find it a worthwhile purchase. I'm not sure that I would recommend paying an authorized dealer price though.

Good luck on your decision!

·
Registered
146 Posts
To me, the Visodate does not wear big at all, but it is a little tall. I have a 7" wrist, and it is a little difficult getting the watch on, so you may be able to wear the stock strap.

I agree with others, the white dial is more versatile.

The Visodate was my first automatic. I loved it when I first bought it, but now that I have a bit of a collection, it does not hold as much interest for me. I think it looks as good, or almost as good, as most of the images I have seen, but on the other hand some of the watches I bought after acquiring the Visodate look much better in person than in their pictures.

My feeling is that if you can pick up a used one at a good price, you will find it a worthwhile purchase. I'm not sure that I would recommend paying an authorized dealer price though.

Good luck on your decision!

I see that a one month old white dial Visodate with both the brown and black strap just showed up on the sales forum within the last hour!

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Looks good on your wirst Cyclone...especially on this nato. Can you tell me the lug tol ug distance?

·
Registered
922 Posts
Trust the Visodate! I want one as well :)
I would get the white dial.
Regarding straps don't worry and by all means go custom. There are several fantastic tailored strap options for you to take it to a different level
hell, you could even order a mantaray, ostrich etc. strap... Of course if you dont mind paying around $180

Rob Montana does great straps

The Strap Smith - Custom watch straps and buckles.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Was thinking about Combat Straps...since I'm from Montreal.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
I'd definitely try one on first as they do wear big and they also feel tall. 40mm is just almost too big depending on the case shape, lugs, height etc. It will feel bigger than a 41mm diver like your HydroConquest.

I prefer the looks of the white, due to the contrasting day/date wheel on the black dial.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Seems like a big watch after all. I'm kinda leaning toward the T-Tempo or Hamilton Intra Matic or Thin-o-matic.

·
Premium Member
2,415 Posts
It wears large as the lugs are rather long for a dress watch IMO, however I would by no means characterize it as a large watch. I've owned a Thinomatic 38mm and found it to fit better, for me. I prefer a white/silver dial watch for business and dress purposes. I bought a Max Bill handwind which I should have today. I've heard that even though it is 34/35 mm, it wears larger because it is all dial. By the way, I have 6.75 wrists.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I have a small wrist as well. I suggest to invest in a few xs straps. I got mine from uhrband24 and watch-band-strap.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts