WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering for a first watch purchase the Tissot PR100 T049.407.11.057.00 or the Sinn 556 i. My understanding is that the 556 uses the top grade 2824-2 movement and the Tissot the basic movement and that the Sinn has greater water resistance. Besides the movement, is the Sinn that much higher quality or can I expect about the same amount of life out of the Tissot. The watch will be used for daily wear.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
556I,it is also anti-magnetic. And Sinn is a lesser known but superior brand to Tissot ( no offence to Tissot owners).

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I have a Tissot. Nice watch for the money but it would feel like a Walmart jewelry counter watch compared to the Sinn.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Which style do you prefer? Sinn is a pilot watch while Tissot is much dressier and somehow sporty. Anyhow, from Tissot I would rather recommend the new Powermatic 80 - that movement is exceptional and you will not find it in a Sinn.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Sinn 556i. No fight between these 2 IMO.

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
Apples & oranges really.

The Sinn is a better quality watch than that Tissot. Yes it uses a top grade ETA 2824, and will either have a case made by SUG Germany or Sinn's Swiss partner (to Sinn specs). But the 556 is not anti-magnetic. It lacks several features of higher end Sinns, that being one of them.

What size is your wrist? Some guys find the 556 to wear on the small side, which is one of the reasons I sold mine.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Don't know much about that particular Tissot, but I do own a Sinn 556i and can tell you it's a fantastic watch that feels bombproof. Not too big so it's easy wearing on the wrist, but it's all dial so it looks bigger than it really is. Not too thick either, never a problem to wear it under shirt sleeves if you need to. Fit and finish it top notch. Wholeheartedly recommened.

·
Registered
Unabashed Casio G-Shock fanboy
8,350 Posts
The Sinn 556i's my current daily watch. While it lacks the technical features of its more expensive brethren, the Sinn 556i is a solid watch befitting of the quality associated with Sinn, boasting a screw-down crown and anti-reflective treatment applied to both sides of the crystal. With the water resistance of a typical diver and its minimalist and understated design, the Sinn 556i is truly versatile: it can be worn with both casual and formal attire. I also find its smaller case diameter (38.5mm, but the dial makes the watch look larger than its specs suggest) ideal for my thin and oddly shaped 6.5" wrists.

One thing about the watch that may drive you crazy is that the AR coating can be scratched. After two months of wearing the 556, I have spotted hairline scratches when examining the crystal closely. However, the coating can be removed by a professional or by yourself if you're feeling bold.

Should you decide to buy this watch, don't make the same mistake I did. I bought the 556 on strap and now I'm having a hard time sourcing the OEM bracelet (watchbuys, the North American distributor of Sinn is currently sold out and has been sold out for weeks).

Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Sinn my a mile. Love the 556 - great watch at a great price.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you for the advice. I have a small wrist, so the size will be right. I was concerned about the quality because I have to buy the Sinn on the internet, but I get the impression that it really is $700.00 more quality than the Tissot.

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
Sinn is a great watch as many have stated. It is superior to the Tissot.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
No contest, here. These are two different watches, and I find the Sinn to be a very strong tool-ish watch, while the Tissot is a bit more delicate. I would take the Sinn, if money were not an object. However, there is another Tissot I have my eye on--the Powermatic 80 Chronometer. Could be worth a look. Official Tissot Website

1 - 20 of 24 Posts