WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Which would you prefer?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is a follow up post to my other thread about the selection of my first "nice watch":
Arriving at my first watch bet. 300-500$, Story + Help me make the final choice. PRS vs PRC 200.

So I finally decided to go for the PRS 200, mostly because I liked that it had both a diver's bezel and a tachymeter. I never owned a watch with a bezel (I used to think they were pretty useless) but after reading a few threads, I realized that the bezel could actually come in handy in many situation. It also looked I dare say more premium than the alternative. So my final dilemma is to choose between the blue and the black dials. Since I live in a city without any Tissot boutiques, I haven't seen any of them in person.

Tissot PRS 200 black dial.
<strong>
DSC01131.jpg DSC01145.jpg DSC01143.jpg

Tissot PRS 200 blue dial.
<strong><u>

images (5).jpg
CALXjUs.jpg images.jpg
I've noticed that neither of them have a matte finish in spite of various pics online showing them to be so. They are quite shiny in reality. I'm going to end up with one of them for daily wear for say the next 5 years or so.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I had a chance to look at both of them in-hand, a friend was kind enough to collect them both (plus a two tone with gold) and bring them while visiting me.

I thought the dial looked smaller than I expected (I guess I expected a 42mm dial) and watch weighed lighter than I imagined. The bezel is uni-directional (being a divers inspired piece).

Though the blue dial colour is beautiful- it changes colour slightly under different lights and the silver chronos do look pretty on the blue face, it is a bit too shiny (esp. the silver chronos) overall for my tastes. The time is quite hard to read (takes two-three seconds to register in the mind as both the hands and the chronos are silver) and chrono hands are near impossible to see. The lume was okay (nothing extraordinary).

The two tone-gold looked better than the blue, but again it had similar problems with readability.

Out of these, personally I feel that the black is definitely the better choice among the PRS 200s.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@Henk How long have you had the watch? Could you please comment on the durability of its bezel? How often did you have to replace the battery? How much does the replacement cost usually?

·
Registered
56 Posts
@Henk How long have you had the watch? Could you please comment on the durability of its bezel? How often did you have to replace the battery? How much does the replacement cost usually?
I have the black(though I would describe it as grey) dial as pictured since 2011 (bought duty free on my way to the last Rugby World Cup).

It is now due for it's second battery change, so 2 years on average, though the original battery lasted a few months longer than the replacement. I am in Australia so cost probably won't be of much use to you but standard price at an independent seems to be $20 for the battery change and about $30 for a pressure test (AUD). However the local Rolex AD I went into near work wanted $140 which I politely declined.

It has held up very well with daily wear. The bezel has one small scratch with the bracelet having a few more from desk diving mostly.

I can probably take some pictures of it's condition if you like.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
@SponsorSFC, the pics I posted in this thread seem to be the only "real" pics I could find online. There seem to a dearth of accurate representations of the PRS 200. I would appreciate it if you could post a few shots on what a "used" one looks like. I'm planning to get one soon for my daily wear, so your pics might just be a make or break for me :)

Is it necessary to do the pressure test every time I change the battery? I have no plans on going diving with the watch, probably do some light swimming. If not, whats the usual recommendation?

·
Registered
56 Posts
No problem, happy to help.

These are not the best quality as I am using my phone with indoor lighting and it needs a bit of a clean but hopefully it gives you an idea.

If you are still unsure I can try taking some better ones with my camera but probably won't be until the weekend.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Is it necessary to do the pressure test every time I change the battery? I have no plans on going diving with the watch, probably do some light swimming. If not, whats the usual recommendation?
It isn't necessary but at the same time it means if I wear it outside and go in the pool I don't need to worry about it. $25 a year isn't exactly going to break the bank.

Considering it isn't that much more than just getting the battery changed I think it is worth the peace of mind. The last place I had it done provided a 6 month warranty against their work (ie water ingress only).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you very much. Have you been having problems with the lume dot on the bezel? You seem to be missing it entirely..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts