WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aloha fellow wis,

I have been recently thinking about getting a Citizen eco-drive in titanium, a chrono type of sort or a GMT. I was pretty sold on the idea but then I saw this Tissot titanium GMT ref: T069.439.47.061.00. I really like it's classy yet sporty look.

Anyone own this particular watch? What are your thoughts? I never owned a Tissot but owned 2 Citizens in the past and they were really great but I feel like treating myself for my upcoming birthday and maybe getting something a little less common. The watch has a swiss quartz movement G10.961, GMT function sub dial, sapphire crystal and water resistant 100m.

I found it on the bay for about $500 from seller watchub located in Singapore. Any experience with this seller? Is it fairly priced? I would have preferred an auto but can't find this specific model. Should I stick with my first idea? going with Citizen?

Here's some candy shots. Thank you
Jon

Reactions: jah

·
Moderator Public Forum
10,282 Posts
Whilst I'm not a fan of skeleton hands I think that's quite a refreshing and interesting design. I think you'll find that the quality is comparable to a similarly (or slightly lesser) priced Citizen. Some titanium Citizen's at that price have Duratect coating which does a good job of protecting the softer titanium, and the Tissot is unlikely to have any coating so may not be quite as durable. Also you're obviously swapping solar tech for standard battery, but none of that may matter to you.
I don't know the seller, or a good price, you'll have to do some research there...cheers

·
Registered
5,275 Posts
A nice looking watch, but those pretty skeleton hands can be hard to read sometimes.

·
Premium Member
71,532 Posts
If the Citizen has a Duratec coating and the Tissot has none the Citizen will be more scratch resistant but it will be correspondingly more difficult to polish out any scratches is does win.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Whilst I'm not a fan of skeleton hands I think that's quite a refreshing and interesting design. I think you'll find that the quality is comparable to a similarly (or slightly lesser) priced Citizen. Some titanium Citizen's at that price have Duratect coating which does a good job of protecting the softer titanium, and the Tissot is unlikely to have any coating so may not be quite as durable. Also you're obviously swapping solar tech for standard battery, but none of that may matter to you.
I don't know the seller, or a good price, you'll have to do some research there...cheers
What a dilemma, I want this Tissot with solar tech and duratect coating! Do it! They are such different beast...geez I am confused now. I love the Tissot look very much. It has a classy, industrial yet sophisticated and clean look. But I feel they are asking too much for what it is... just a battery quartz inside a nice case.

I have seen other Tissot models with chrono and GMT functions and they go for between 300-400. I might just wait and see, this is a newer 2012 model I believe, it will go down in price. The lowest I found was $468 usd on the bay but then again how to be sure it's a legitimate Tissot?

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A nice looking watch, but those pretty skeleton hands can be hard to read sometimes.
Oh yeah? I never had any watch with hands like that, but I think it should not be too bad with the black dial, it offers a good contrast.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If the Citizen has a Duratec coating and the Tissot has none the Citizen will be more scratch resistant but it will be correspondingly more difficult to polish out any scratches is does win.
I was looking at the CITIZEN PROMASTER EURO RADIO CONTROLLED CHRONO TITANIUM WATCH AS4030-59E. Not sure if the ad is right but they say super titanium...is it similar to Duratect coating? I know.. totally different watches...Anyway, as far as scratch resistant, I don't plan on beating any of those watches. Just regular wear, I am a gentle guy.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I would say you can't beat a Citizen AT model for accuracy. If you're able to receive the radio signal where you are in Canada, you're set! The super titanium is "similar" to Duratect (which is only on JDM Citizen watches). I have the Promaster PMV65-2271 at it is awesome!!

Good luck in your choice ... and happy early birthday wishes!

EDIT: Just checked the model you referenced, it has a Euro only radio. Look for the models with multi band (CHN, EUR, JPN and USA receivers) if you hope to receive signals in Canada (from the FT Collins, CO transmitter).

·
Moderator Public Forum
10,282 Posts
The lowest I found was $468 usd on the bay but then again how to be sure it's a legitimate Tissot?
It's unlikely that a lower priced new model Tissot would be faked, but your best insurance is to research the seller and his feedback and return policy. If buying on ebay through Paypal you have good protection if sold a dud. "It has a classy, industrial yet sophisticated and clean look" - I think that's a pretty good description of it!

·
Premium Member
36,431 Posts
I have two Citizens in titanium and have found both to be excellent in their quality of materials.

You can't go wrong with either choice.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
For quartz watches, it's hard to beat Citizen and Casio for reliability, futures, and value. Solar charging is a great future, as you won't have to worry about battery changes and water resistance for a decade or two. Flat silver hands on most any dial will be hard to read from a certain angle. It will happen from time to time and bug you.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's unlikely that a lower priced new model Tissot would be faked, but your best insurance is to research the seller and his feedback and return policy. If buying on ebay through Paypal you have good protection if sold a dud. "It has a classy, industrial yet sophisticated and clean look" - I think that's a pretty good description of it!
Hahaha, I'm glad we speak the same language! It all makes sense but I think we would be surprised to see how fast new products are being faked but so far the seller seems well established and have a 14 days return policy. I am just being stopped by the price, I take into consideration the customs fees that will probably apply. I see many other nice Tissot models out there being 100-150$ cheaper while offering the same features or more so I am not in a hurry I'll wait to see if prices drop in a couple of weeks.

Did you ever go into a shop and ask them to verify if your online watch purchase is actually authentic? I guess they don't like doing that, they will probably say something in the like of why didn't you buy it from us we are an authorized dealer? and I'll probably reply to this by saying ...well you are $200-300 more expensive!

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have two Citizens in titanium and have found both to be excellent in their quality of materials.

You can't go wrong with either choice.
You are right, I think they are both solid but I feel like Citizen certainly offers the best bang but I had 2 in the past, so just wishing for a change and a new brand but at the same time, my down to earth nature tells me to spend minimal money and get a problem free watch that will run forever or almost like the Citizen. On the other hand, the Tissot is different, sharper design in my eyes compared to most of the Citizens.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
For quartz watches, it's hard to beat Citizen and Casio for reliability, futures, and value. Solar charging is a great future, as you won't have to worry about battery changes and water resistance for a decade or two. Flat silver hands on most any dial will be hard to read from a certain angle. It will happen from time to time and bug you.
I guess I should go to the mall and see some silver hands on black dial in the flesh to better understand this, in my mind, it should not be a problem since it's contrasty enough but who knows.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have a little question, what do you guys believe this little valve next to the crown is? It can't be HEV, it's not a diver's. Is it some sort of screw?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
71,532 Posts
Did you ever go into a shop and ask them to verify if your online watch purchase is actually authentic? I guess they don't like doing that, they will probably say something in the like of why didn't you buy it from us we are an authorized dealer? and I'll probably reply to this by saying ...well you are $200-300 more expensive!
Quite a few WUS members have bought Tissots off the Bay that they weren't sure about so they ended up taking them to an AD to have them checked. I see what you're saying about buying from an AD but if one refuses to give you an opinion take it to another - Tissot ADs aren't exactly rare.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quite a few WUS members have bought Tissots off the Bay that they weren't sure about so they ended up taking them to an AD to have them checked. I see what you're saying about buying from an AD but if one refuses to give you an opinion take it to another - Tissot ADs aren't exactly rare.
Sure nothing to lose on this. So from these WUS member with Tissots bought online, how many of them were fake at the end?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts