WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This might be the wrong forum for this question, but here goes...I am looking at buying a new watch and two have caught my attention. One is a Tissot V8 that sells for around $250.00 and the other is a Stovard Jurgenson chrono that has a Valjoux 7750 movement. It is at a clearance price of $249.00. The Tissot has a quartz movement and a case size of 4.2mm. I know that Tissot makes an outstanding watch for the money as I own two, but what about the Stovard J. with a Valjoux movement? How would these two models compare one to the other? Would the Valjoux on the SJ checkmate the Tissot just because of that? I don't know alot about watches, but I am stuck b/t the Tissot and the SJ (because of the Valjoux). Any thoughts about this? Photos here:

·
Breitling Forum Moderator
8,794 Posts
Hello,

This is a tough decision but its along the lines of petrol vs diesel engines. Both highly developed in current models, each offering different performance, both will get you from a to b.

The Tissot's eta quartz movement is very accurate, robust and will serve for a long time. It is not likely to be the superquartz version for the price bracket.
Battery life should be better then two years. As you said the quality is there for the dollar spent.

From the SJ site...

" Støvard Jürgenson Swiss Automatic Chronograph Model 4251-7750
This great looking timepiece features a 25 jewel Swiss made ETA Valjoux 7750 (self-winding) chronograph movement, registers to measure elapsed hours, minutes and seconds, ivory or black patterned dial, sure-grip crown, luminescent hands, date, mineral crystal. Brushed finish silver case. Ivory colored dial features Arabic numerals. Black dial features Roman numerals.

Case Size: 42mm (w/o crown), 16mm thick
Band: 22mm leather with buckle closure
Water Resistance: 10 ATM
Warranty: Two Years

Suggested Retail: $1349"

On the dollars the SJ is a winner. If an automatic movement is your hearts desire, I can't argue against this watch as your choice. What is calling to you, the deal or the accuracy of a good quartz movement?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello,

This is a tough decision but its along the lines of petrol vs diesel engines. Both highly developed in current models, each offering different performance, both will get you from a to b.

The Tissot's eta quartz movement is very accurate, robust and will serve for a long time. It is not likely to be the superquartz version for the price bracket.
Battery life should be better then two years. As you said the quality is there for the dollar spent.

From the SJ site...

" Støvard Jürgenson Swiss Automatic Chronograph Model 4251-7750
This great looking timepiece features a 25 jewel Swiss made ETA Valjoux 7750 (self-winding) chronograph movement, registers to measure elapsed hours, minutes and seconds, ivory or black patterned dial, sure-grip crown, luminescent hands, date, mineral crystal. Brushed finish silver case. Ivory colored dial features Arabic numerals. Black dial features Roman numerals.

Case Size: 42mm (w/o crown), 16mm thick
Band: 22mm leather with buckle closure
Water Resistance: 10 ATM
Warranty: Two Years

Suggested Retail: $1349"

On the dollars the SJ is a winner. If an automatic movement is your hearts desire, I can't argue against this watch as your choice. What is calling to you, the deal or the accuracy of a good quartz movement?

Thank you for your very well reasoned reply. Actually, I prefer the accuracy of quartz movement watches. I own a Hamilton, two Tissots, Invicta and a Swiss Army - all quartz movements for their accuracy. On the other hand...the Valjoux movement is very tempting, not so much for the money deal, but for the quality of the Valjoux. I do not currently own a Valjoux and I doubt I can afford one in the future. The SJ has a minor repair need..
."according to the seller...the chrono seconds hand does not reset to zero. It goes to a few seconds before top-dead-center." That is why the price is so low. Another consideration is the style of these models. The Tissot is more sporty, while the SJ is more conservative. I don't really own any sporty watches, while all my others are pretty classic styles. The most unusual model is my Invicta Murcielago. So my consternation continues....but your response helped me to gain some perspective and most of us who ask these types of questions need that to make a decision. Any other opinions out there in the watch universe?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Never mind...I bought the Tissot V8. I found it at Amazon.com for $172.00 + $10.00 shipping! Couldn't resist at that price and it's brand new! Yeah!:-d

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Never mind...I bought the Tissot V8. I found it at Amazon.com for $172.00 + $10.00 shipping! Couldn't resist at that price and it's brand new! Yeah!:-d
Glad you didn't buy the SJ:) ....I got it it, and for a mere $30, the misaligned hands were reset. A Valjoux 7750 powered watch with this quality F&F was a deal and a half for a total of $280 shipped. Forunately, we both got what we wanted....enjoy!:-!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts