WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Titan is a watch company based in India, this is the company that overtook HMT in the 90s. Some information about their journey can be found here: link

Titan Watches, the most trusted and popular Watches in India are manufactured at Hosur, an Industrial suburb of Tamil Nadu, India. Set up in 1985, with initially planned annual capacity of 2 million, today the unit produces components for over 11 million quartz analog wrist watches, thanks to the state-of-art manufacturing facilities at the unit.

Titan Company's movement manufacturing set-up was established in technical collaboration with France Ebauches, a leading quartz analog movement manufacturer in France. In 1989, watch case manufacturing technology was obtained from Citizen Watch Co. of Japan and in mid 90's, the technology for complicated watch cases and solid link bracelets manufacture was obtained from a Swiss company. State of the art physical vapour coating facilities have been established with the help of technology from German and Swiss coating expert companies.

A Watch Assembly unit was established at Dehradun in 1990 and since then, two more assembly units are functional: Roorkee and the latest one at Pantnagar, Uttarakhand (2010). Today, Titan Company's watch assembly capacity is about 15 million watches per annum.

Titan Company is one of the very few manufacturers in the world that manufactures watch movements, watch cases and watch assembly under one roof. It is the fifth largest, integrated watch own brand manufacturer and retailer in the world. From the initial offering of 150 models in 1987, today the supply chain and manufacturing set-up has the capability to handle over 3000 watch variants every year, the fact that depicts the product mix complexity. In-house watch case plant has unique capability to produce range of products that varies from cost effective value for money products to complex designs that adore the wrists of different brands customers like Titan, Fastrack and Sonata. In-house movement plant produces the world's slimmest movement 'Edge' with pride.
Like HMT, Titan also obtained a part of its watch manufacturing capability through a tie-up with Citizen watch company, Japan. Initially they manufactured only Quartz watches. link

in 2010 or so (link), Titan automatics started to appear in the market. The initial watches had the movements from their old associate: Citizen(Miyota).

In this post, I attempt to document two such examples. A titan Automatic with the 9015 movement and a Titan Handwinder with the 6T33 movement. I have been using both these watches for a while now on daily basis, so the watches have earned their scratches. :)

Titan Automatic:

Case diameter: 42mm
Lug-Lug: 49mm
Strap Size: 22mm
Movement: Miyota 9015, 24Jewels
bph: 28800
PR: 40+hours
Handwinds: Yes
Hacks: Yes
Date: yes, quickset. crown to be moved clockwise in the first pullout position
Crystal: Sapphire.
WR: 3atm/30m
See though back.

The hands and indices are rose gold colored. The dial has a beautiful sunray finish. The bezel and the lug top faces are brushed, the case sides and back are mirror polished. The case back is secured with 4 screws.

The watch is just 9mm thick.

Titan Logo on the Crown

Titan Handwound:

Salient Specifications:

Case Size: 45mm H x 30mm W (without crown)
Thickness:10mm
Bracelet width: 20mm
Curved Sapphire Crystal.
6T33 Miyota movement Handwind mechanical
28800bph
40H power reserve

The bracelet is of good quality. Solid links(NOT folded links), with hollow end links.

Cheers!
Hari

·
Registered
273 Posts
Holy $h*t, this Titan Automatic is amongst the nicest watches I've seen in a while! May I ask about the quality of the case finish? Thanks! :)

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Good-looking watches from Titan. Their design department has finally improved, it seems.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good-looking watches from Titan. Their design department has finally improved, it seems.
I have been buying titan from 1992. I feel they do a good job on the looks and design front and initially they had excellent in house movements, in the middle they outsourced the middle to lower end to Chinese imports. With these range of watches that they made between 2010 to 2013, they used the nicer Miyota movements, now they are again back to loud Chinese skeleton models.

·
Banned
936 Posts
Titan has a fashion/youth centric brand called Fastrack -have one now and was gifted one by my parents when I got into engineering college.

Reactions: hari317

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Titan has a fashion/youth centric brand called Fastrack -have one now and was gifted one by my parents when I got into engineering college.
Before fastrack became a full fledged product line, it was a range of stylish steel cased quartz watches as a successor to the resin cased Lextra Timepad, it came out in 1993 IIRC and I have one which was bought that year, I will have to dig it up to post a pic...

·
Registered
33 Posts
I was about to buy this automatic , with a 40℅ off from price tag of 14k , but the model at showroom seemed a used one. Still I was about to make payments when I noticed that the front crystal is a replacement (not sapphire) and the minute ring is misplaced. Would have loved to buy a pristine case at that price.
Pic below.

Attachments

·
Registered
109 Posts
I was about to buy this automatic , with a 40℅ off from price tag of 14k , but the model at showroom seemed a used one. Still I was about to make payments when I noticed that the front crystal is a replacement (not sapphire) and the minute ring is misplaced. Would have loved to buy a pristine case at that price.
Pic below.
The showroom was clearly trying to sell a damaged unit of the watch. Was it at a Titan company showroom?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yes. World of Titan.
The main guy there looked and behaved like a rogue. I backed off from the deal by intuition of being robbed. He was hurrying in trying to make a bill, even before I had the watch in my hands. (It's butterfly clasp was defective which the technician was replacing). I asked him to wait till I was satisfied with the watch in my hand, and suddenly this intuition came that I shouldn't buy it. Only later in the pic I realized what was wrong.
I guess Titan dealers are as good as tata motor dealers.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I guess this is the only watch from titan with miyota 9015 movement.
BTW ,did u receive the discount or paid full mrp. What's the manufacturing date?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Got the same discount offered to you. Din't check the manufacturing date. But I guess it should be in 2013 timeframe as Titan doesn't seem to be manufacturing it any more.
I think it is available online - both black and silver dials sans discount though

·
Registered
33 Posts
Is the discount still available? I thought it was over. I can't find it online at any other website except amazon where it's at mrp.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
109 Posts
Visited the Titan showroom today in CP. Was delighted to see a number of new automatics with miyota movements.

As per a sales person at the counter, Titan is planning to phase out the older models which house questionably Chinese movements. One of the new models was a 90033SL01J which was gorgeous and royal priced at a princely 18k. Unfortunately could not click its pic. However, Worth a visit to the showroom to see those.
Cheers

·
Registered
291 Posts
Hi Hari,
What's your take on Titan automatics available in market right now? All are with miyota movement and not from China ..... do you think it would be a good buy?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts