1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Nice find Lexx! Looking at that price makes a rare Frog seem very inexpensive huh?!?!:-d:-d:-d:-d:-d:-d:-d:-d
Nice article! I guess if you have millions that would be the sort of thing you would buy! Imagine wacking that against something by accident!!o|o|o|o|o|o|o|X100!:-d:-d:-d:-d:-d:-d:-d:-d:-d

·
Registered
377 Posts
I was searching for bad taste watches (design) and came across this. The dial is partly made from the hull of the Titanic. I'm not sure what to make of the idea, but I quite like the watch itself.
]
I agree the watch is quite nice but not sure how i'd feel wearing something with that much history :think:

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wonder if it's water resistant. :think:

·
Registered
29,512 Posts
There's been a lot of controversy about that watch. There's no entirely rational reason for not using lumps of the Titanic, but it still doesn't sit well.

It's pointless too, and I guess the steel may not even be of the same 316L specification that is usually used for watches.

I wouldn't have one, no matter how attractive the watch.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Nice looking watch, for sure. I am dubious though of making part of it out of Titanic hull, it just doesn't sit right with me. It is an undersea tomb/grave and should be left as such imo. What'll be next? Ashtrays made from the wreckage of space shuttle or twin towers?

Just because something is expensive, does not preclude it from being cheap if you know what I mean.

Rusty

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am dubious though of making part of it out of Titanic hull, it just doesn't sit right with me. It is an undersea tomb/grave and should be left as such imo. What'll be next? Ashtrays made from the wreckage of space shuttle or twin towers?
I was thinking that as I read how they got the idea. I don't think it's anything like having a bit of the Berlin Wall on your mantlepiece. I presume that was to commemorate the wall coming down, which was a positive thing. There was no 'happy ending' with the Titanic.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
I was thinking that as I read how they got the idea. I don't think it's anything like having a bit of the Berlin Wall on your mantlepiece. I presume that was to commemorate the wall coming down, which was a positive thing. There was no 'happy ending' with the Titanic.
Funny enough I do have part of the Berlin wall, albeit only a fragment now

Q-6

·
Registered
9,059 Posts
Nice looking watch, for sure. I am dubious though of making part of it out of Titanic hull, it just doesn't sit right with me. It is an undersea tomb/grave and should be left as such imo. What'll be next? Ashtrays made from the wreckage of space shuttle or twin towers?

Just because something is expensive, does not preclude it from being cheap if you know what I mean.

Rusty
what makes it "cheap" is that it's being sold for profit. How the hell did they get the hull metal? Really rather nauseating.

·
Registered
290 Posts
You think that's in bad taste...

Here's a limited edtion Fountain Pen that supposedly has Abraham Lincoln's DNA in it:

Krone obtained the most highly authenticated strands of Abraham Lincoln's hair in existence. And, using the latest technology, Krone took those strands and reproduced the DNA of America's greatest President. This DNA, in crystallized form, is embedded in the amethyst stone of every Limited Edition Abraham Lincoln Pen. :roll:

http://www.kronepen.com/le/leaders/lincoln.html

I used to collect/restore Fountain Pens and this one was NOT in my collection.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
I think it's a fine idea. The titanic wasn't a crime it was an accident or even an act of God/nature if you want to view it that way. I imagine there's little offense intended. If someone can separate others from their money for something like this there is obviously a demand. It seems there's a prevailing thought in some corners that profit is evil. I think somewhere along the way every one of us owes our standard of living to some hidden "evil" profit. It's not like it's made of human flesh or something, it's might mean a lot to some of the distant family of those who died in the wreck, who knows. There's a positive side to most things.

·
Registered
37,143 Posts

Here's a limited edtion Fountain Pen that supposedly has Abraham Lincoln's DNA in it:

Krone obtained the most highly authenticated strands of Abraham Lincoln's hair in existence. And, using the latest technology, Krone took those strands and reproduced the DNA of America's greatest President. This DNA, in crystallized form, is embedded in the amethyst stone of every Limited Edition Abraham Lincoln Pen. :roll:

Can't blame you. Man, that's def going a bit too far... <|

·
Registered
2,952 Posts

This doesn't bother me either. My skin must be abnormally thick. It's not as if Lincoln was killed to make the pens. He sure isn't missing the DNA I'm sure. Soon there will be complaints of many of us breathing the same oxygen atoms that helped past generations live. We don't have to feel guilty that we are alive and the dead are not. Get over it.

Besides all the deaths in question here took place over nearly 100 years ago or more. The fuel that modern society uses is from dead plant an animal life somewhere in history? Why not lament them as well. When does it end? When you're dead you're dead, the living are the ones that add all the baggage to it. The dead don't care, I know I won't. Make a clock outta me, if someone wants it more power to them I won't care, I'll be doing better things than worrying about whether my corpse is treated with "respect" ...it's just dirt.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts