WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, titanium is stronger and lighter than stainless steel but scratches easier. Do I have the right of it?

Thanks,
Gawain

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
Titanium is not stronger than steel. It is only lighter and more rust resistant. And yes, it does generally scratch easier than steel.

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
So, titanium is stronger and lighter than stainless steel but scratches easier. Do I have the right of it?
That's been bugging me too Gawain. I assumed it'd be harder to scratch. :think:

·
Registered
4,014 Posts

Thanks,
Gawain
It is also far more corrosion resistent than SS.

It is slightly less scratch resistant than SS. However, if it is IP or DLC coated you have the best of all worlds.

Mitch

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, then I read somewhere that's TI is a "scratch magnet":think:

That's been bugging me too Gawain. I assumed it'd be harder to scratch. :think:

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ahhhhh, thanks Mitch... I am drooooling over something with DLC coating.:p Which is better, IP or DLC?

-Gawain

It is also far more corrosion resistent than SS.

It is slightly less scratch resistant than SS. However, if it is IP or DLC coated you have the best of all worlds.

Mitch

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Buzz-baby.... lighter and more rust resist.. gotcha:-!

Titanium is not stronger than steel. It is only lighter and more rust resistant. And yes, it does generally scratch easier than steel.

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
There's a link here that explains why it's sometimes thought of as stronger than steel. Basically it's strength to weight ratio is better than steel. While Googling I found a lot of information stating titanium is stronger, but it's not that simple...

http://swordforum.com/metallurgy/titanium.html

ps: It's also a good option for people with allergies to steel.

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
Ahhhhh, thanks Mitch... I am drooooling over something with DLC coating.:p Which is better, IP or DLC?

-Gawain
DLC by far!

It is as scratchproof as you can get. Perhaps an actual diamond could scratch it but thats about it.

Also if Titanium is heat hardened as in some MR-Gs then it is 4-5 times harder than ordinary Ti and SS.

Allanvalle did some tests on one of his DLC watches and posted the results somewhere. Interesting!

Mitch

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Lexx :-! that helps

There's a link here that explains why it's sometimes thought of as stronger than steel. Basically it's strength to weight ratio is better than steel. While Googling I found a lot of information stating titanium is stronger, but it's not that simple...

http://swordforum.com/metallurgy/titanium.html

ps: It's also a good option for people with allergies to steel.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
What models have DLC, just the high end MR-Gs?

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
It'll be some time before I'll be getting one of those. The 7500 is quite appealing but I'd like to see all the features I want on an watch of that cost. Needs light or tritium and CDT to be sure.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Yeah, then I read somewhere that's TI is a "scratch magnet":think:
In my experience I have to say it is not significantly worse than stainless steel. What is more important is what finish you have on it. Brushed finishes show scratches much less than polished finishes. Brushed titanium will end up looking less scratched than polished steel, that is for sure.

Luke

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK, cool.. I've learned a LOT... thanks everyone....:thanks

In my experience I have to say it is not significantly worse than stainless steel. What is more important is what finish you have on it. Brushed finishes show scratches much less than polished finishes. Brushed titanium will end up looking less scratched than polished steel, that is for sure.

Luke

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
I actually like the lustre of titanium...but I also lust after DLC. :-d
Apparently you can buff out most scratches on normal titanium with a fine emery board or the like. May be Casio should include a pack of steelos with every titanium watch. :-d

I notice Citizen are now making a similar coating called Duratech...good to see a bit of competition. The lightness and non-allergenic properties make it worthwhile for me since I do react a bit to stainless steel.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Just wondering those that have a DLC coated MR-G's here like the 7500, where are these bands made? I have the IP processed black titanium band and its made in china. Kinda worried that it might contain poisonous lead.o|

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
Just wondering those that have a DLC coated MR-G's here like the 7500, where are these bands made? I have the IP processed black titanium band and its made in china. Kinda worried that it might contain poisonous lead.o|
Those coatings wouldn't contain any lead or other toxic materials. They sell them in Europe etc which has very stringent requirements, and no way is Casio going to risk a damaging world wide public relations meltdown by using lead etc. Not everything made in China is poorly made or contaminated with toxic materials. ;-)

·
Registered
29,512 Posts
Those coatings wouldn't contain any lead or other toxic materials. They sell them in Europe etc which has very stringent requirements, and no way is Casio going to risk a damaging world wide public relations meltdown by using lead etc. Not everything made in China is poorly made or contaminated with toxic materials. ;-)
At the moment, in the UK, shops are busy pulling Chinese-made toys off the shelves, which have been found to contain lead. The requirements are stringent, but it looks as though manufacturers are trusted, to some extent, to observe them.

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
At the moment, in the UK, shops are busy pulling Chinese-made toys off the shelves, which have been found to contain lead. The requirements are stringent, but it looks as though manufacturers are trusted, to some extent, to observe them.
That's been happening world wide because Mattel sourced cheap toys from dodgey makers in China. Casio would have much greater control over their watch making biz than that. Also, the fact that the coated Casios have been on the market for quite a while, and not shown to be toxic indicates they're benign. Not saying it's impossible they could be toxic, but it seems extremely unlikely.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts