WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
3,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all In Singap:)re:

Bit of an off topic here.....GGG

Just wondering if you would recommend Singapore for my wife and I to come for a holiday as it's fairly cheap and VERY convenient from where we reside in Cairns, tropical Qld. as the flight goes straight to you.

I'm a Thailand person myself, but my wife fancies Singapore:-S

Without bias, what do you think?

Any good and different places to stay, etc.?

Appreciate any advice.

All the best - ;-)ZZIE

·
Registered
259 Posts
Man, I accidentally deleted a whole bunch of stuff I typed! Nevermind.....

If you do come to Singapore, you must sample the local fare such as chicken rice, char kway teow (fried noodles), roti prata (Indian pan cakes), and so much more! Nightlife-wise, there's quite a lively clubbing scene in the downtown districts, and also good pubs along Boat Quay.

For places of attraction, you might wanna visit the zoo, the night safari, and the underwater world as these are pretty neat. You can give theme parks here a miss though, as they simply can't be compared to Australia's ;) If you're into cultural stuff, there's quite a few museums here too.

The island is also having its annual island-wide sale for a two month period starting end-May. You might pick up some good buys then. For G-Shock-related shopping, WOngster would have a much better picture ;)

For more info, you can check out this official site: http://www.visitsingapore.com/publish/stbportal/en/index.html

Hope you find these useful!

·
Banned
3,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bubblemunche said:
Man, I accidentally deleted a whole bunch of stuff I typed! Nevermind.....

If you do come to Singapore, you must sample the local fare such as chicken rice, char kway teow (fried noodles), roti prata (Indian pan cakes), and so much more! Nightlife-wise, there's quite a lively clubbing scene in the downtown districts, and also good pubs along Boat Quay.

For places of attraction, you might wanna visit the zoo, the night safari, and the underwater world as these are pretty neat. You can give theme parks here a miss though, as they simply can't be compared to Australia's ;) If you're into cultural stuff, there's quite a few museums here too.

The island is also having its annual island-wide sale for a two month period starting end-May. You might pick up some good buys then. For G-Shock-related shopping, WOngster would have a much better picture ;)

For more info, you can check out this official site: http://www.visitsingapore.com/publish/stbportal/en/index.html

Hope you find these useful!
Hahaha - Hi Bubble:-D

I've also deleted that stuff many times.

A few times I type, photos and all, cleck send, the BANG! "No foreign hosts allowed"

Man that is annoying and lose the whole thing:-(

Thanks for the small info. on Singapore..

We like the traditional parts and sites..

Mainly an old Chinese area, although my wife has seen programmes on the Zoo and fancies..

As for fun parks, I'm a little past that;-)

Them nightclubs are more me, but In Australia we usually go to clubs for other things, which make it a little hard when my wife is with me!:-X

Mate, we are tossing between Japan and Singapore, possibly Hong Kong.

Of course we know Japan well with my wife being Japanese and me having lived for 14 years, but it would be nice for a quick return to say hi..

I've been to Hong Kong four times, my wife twice, but we have never been to Singapore.

My Image of Singapore is a sterile modern city which lack many tradidtional sites, although I could be wrong.

I'm more interested in buying some T-Shirts if they fit, not G-Shock's as I have far to many:-D

We will see what evntuates..

Looks like no salesman to sell Singapore here:-D

Thanks for the info. and the website is very informative.

ALl the best - OZZ

·
Registered
925 Posts
Welcome to Singapore!!!

Please do not chew gum, do not litter, do flush the toilets after use (regardless of what you use it for), no smoking indoors and no jaywalking.

When you arrive at the Singapore Changi International Airport, make sure you collect your baggage, clear customs and get into a clean and friendly cab in less than 30 minutes. Any minute longer and it just shows how inefficient we are :-!

En route to your hotel of choice, make sure the cab driver answers all your questions with a smile and also gives you the best tips and advice for first-time travellers. Insist that he does not accept any tip when you reach your destination and also make sure he helps you with the baggage right up to the hotel concierge.

Singapore is a small city, so you should be able to cover the major tourist stops in less than 2 days:

1. The Merlion statue - de rigueur must-visit destination for photo evidence that you have been to Singapore :-!

2. The Esplanade - 2 durian-looking dome-like structures housing the premium arts and cultural performance venues in Singapore. Incidentally, a durian is a pungent yet delightfully delicious tropical fruit, crowned the King of Fruits in Asia and to most unsuspecting tourists, smell like cat's crap.

3. Chinatown - No visit to Singapore is complete without stopping by Chinatown for a bit of overpriced touristy souvenirs and all things Mandarin. It's also where you can get very good roasted sweet pork slices (called bak kwa) which is absolutely delicious :p

4. Little India - An area in Serangoon made up of rows of double-storey shophouses cum walk up apartments which were built in the post-war years and now home to dozens of Indian merchants peddling curry powders, Indian saris and all things Indian. It's actually quite an interesting area even for Singaporeans like myself. It's also where I go for my favourite fish head curry at Muthu's :p

5. Arab Street - Yet another ethnic enclave where you can buy middle eastern fabrics and chance upon small pubs and eateries while smoking your shisha :-! . There is also this very cool little road nearby called Haji Lane where small boutiques and the Japanese-favourite Commes des Garcons Guerilla Store is located.

6. Mandai Zoo, Night Safari & Jurong Bird Park - The standard visitor parks for a spot of animal viewing, bird watching and some back to nature, wildlife immersion.

7. Sentosa - Skip the beach even though most tourist guide books may tell you otherwise. There are nicer beaches in Australia and somehow the sun, sand, sea and sky also look much more appealing than at Sentosa :-D . However the Underwater World is indeed a nice treat albeit I felt it was too short a treat :-D

8. Boat Quay and Clarke Quay - Only go there in the evening or at night. The weather's more forgiving for all the nice alfresco dining options there. Also if you're into some bit of adult entertainment, there's Crazy Horse where it's simply girls in skimpy thongs gyrating to loud bass-filled music.

9. Raffles Hotel - Queen Elizabeth's choice of home away from home. While it is not cheap, in fact it probably costs a few Brazilian, Black Helios and Black Spots thrown in for a night in one of their suites but the restaurants and shopping annex also provide some sense of the "Raffles" experience :-!

10. Finally, what's a visit to Singapore without having a drink and perhaps a good cheap meal with wongster :-D :-D :-D

·
Registered
925 Posts
Anton said:
Sounds tempting wongy! :-!
Welcome to Singapore, Anton :-D

If I'm headed for London, I'll be sure to look you up as well. Man, I miss Wagamama :-D , it was the closest thing to home when I visited London previously.

A

·
0 Posts
wongster said:
Welcome to Singapore, Anton :-D

If I'm headed for London, I'll be sure to look you up as well. Man, I miss Wagamama :-D , it was the closest thing to home when I visited London previously.
Wagamama have several restaurants in London now. The first opened in '92 in Bloomsbury (the University area) and was a hit straight away.

Gimme them noodles, bro. :gold

·
Registered
925 Posts
Anton said:
Wagamama have several restaurants in London now. The first opened in '92 in Bloomsbury (the University area) and was a hit straight away.

Gimme them noodles, bro. :gold
Guess what Anton? That Wagamama at Streatham Street was the very one I went to for 3 weeks in a row :-D

By the 2nd week, the staff would come to expect me around 7pm, take my order, and then I'll pop out for a cigarette before going back in to lug the noodles and wantons back to the hotel :-!

Ahh... there was this cute Japanese waitress then :p

A

·
0 Posts
wongster said:
Guess what Anton? That Wagamama at Streatham Street was the very one I went to for 3 weeks in a row :-D

By the 2nd week, the staff would come to expect me around 7pm, take my order, and then I'll pop out for a cigarette before going back in to lug the noodles and wantons back to the hotel :-!

Ahh... there was this cute Japanese waitress then :p
I studied at University College London, the faculties of which are are located in the streets all around that area, and it's still one of my favourite parts of town. Indeed, I've lived just 5 mins walk from Waga...that would've suited you perfectly eh wongy! :-!

·
Banned
3,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
wongster said:
Welcome to Singapore!!!

9. Raffles Hotel - Queen Elizabeth's choice of home away from home. While it is not cheap, in fact it probably costs a few Brazilian, Black Helios and Black Spots thrown in for a night in one of their suites but the restaurants and shopping annex also provide some sense of the "Raffles" experience :-!

10. Finally, what's a visit to Singapore without having a drink and perhaps a good cheap meal with wongster :-D :-D :-D
Thanks Wongster:

Appreciate all your good words:-!

Actually, Raffles is a favourite haunt of my prents and it's their regular choice.

I was ready to Sacrifice a DW-003 but your list sounds dangerous:-D

Anyway, I will research more either way.

All the best - OZZ

·
Registered
153 Posts
Ozzie:

As an American who's travelled to Singapore for work, I'd say it's a pretty nice place for a Holiday. I'd also recommend the Park View Hotel which is just a few blocks from Raffles. It's my choice of accomodations and last time I was there in 2003, it was S$92.00/night.

Regards,

Matt

·
5,092 Posts
Singapore... Has it really been more than 20 years since I lived there??? 1980-1985! I'm sure almost all of my old haunts have been knocked down to make way for many much needed hotel/shopping centre complexes.O|

It was a wonderful place to live back then. Thoroughly modern, everything worked and you could get anything you wanted (you had to know where to look to find some things ;-) ).

I met my wife and got married there (she's from the Philippines). We had our small wedding reception at the Raffles, Mike :-!, although that wasn't one of my regular watering holes!:-D

Go there for the food and shopping. Three to four days is plenty for most tourists. I always preferred Singapore to HK. Even though Singapore is crowded and bustling, HK makes it almost seem relaxed by comparison.

By the way, Singapore is where I started feeding my watch habit. Got a Rolex SS Date there followed by an 18K "President" a couple of years later. Hey, I was an expat, single and had plenty of disposable income! Both watches cost about 50% of what they sold for in the US at the time!:)

·
Banned
3,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
MaTTK said:
Ozzie:

As an American who's travelled to Singapore for work, I'd say it's a pretty nice place for a Holiday. I'd also recommend the Park View Hotel which is just a few blocks from Raffles. It's my choice of accomodations and last time I was there in 2003, it was S$92.00/night.

Regards,

Matt
Thanks for that Matt:

Have noted that down for website prices:-!

All the best - OZZ

1 - 14 of 14 Posts