WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That's a sharp lookin' watch, no doubt about it. Wish I were one of the "proud papas", trumpeting my new arrival, but no dice (okay, so maybe I did do some trumpeting not that long ago, but for a different arrival...). Nope, according to the Mrs., if I want the PAM 112, then I've gotta say no to the SOA (and U1). :-( Still, that doesn't prevent me from being happy for everyone who took delivery today. It was a long wait, but it definitely seems to have been worth it

Congrats to all, and wear in good health!

Regards,
Adam

PS - Great shots from everyone -- by all means keep 'em coming. In particular, I love the "burnished" picture Phaedrus took -- he really captured the texture of the dial in that one.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Adam-

I'll say "Thanks" from all the SOA reipients.

Just remember, babies are far more precious than watches. Love him and spend as much time with him as you possibly can.

Steve

·
Registered
60 Posts
Now me personally, I'd rather have 2 watches that I

want, than one that I want.. Unless of course we were talking a completely different class of watch.. And not to start a flame throwing contest, the 112 is not a Roger Dubuis, or something that is so head and shoulders above a Sinn U-series AND a Spirit of America.... But that is the magic of this hobby, and as my dad always says, that's why they make chocolate and vanilla..... To back my statements up, I did just get the SOA, and last week got a U-2... So I'm not just speaking hypothetically...

Either way, you can't go wrong.... I'd say also wait a year or so and pick up an SOA used, but at the introductory price, I really have a hard time believing that people are going to part with it much, if any less than the 1100 introductory price... I mean, this watch at say 900, hell I'd buy them all and keep them for my kids, grandkids or whatever for that price... I just don't see this watch as the same price point as a Glycine KMU, though maybe I'm wrong and they will be.......

·
Registered
17,513 Posts
Re: Now me personally, I'd rather have 2 watches that I

I don't think you will see SOA's selling used for anything under $1600 or so, once the price increase occurs in January. Look at the new price, and $1600 will be considered a bargain mid 2007....At least that is my humble opinion...

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I hear you loud and clear, godawgs, and trust me, I didn't drop the SOA lightly (the U1 I've sort of cooled on, so that one wasn't such a wrench to let go of). However, after seeing Gary Sinise's black dialed SOA in the auction, the "standard" SOA dimmed a bit in my eyes (just a bit -- that grey dial has a texture all its own that is a joy to behold in the photos). Also, I'm still not entirely sold on the "Spirit of America" emblazoned so proudly -- and largely -- on the dial. True, that's the watch's raison d'etre, but it grates on me for some reason. In the end, the 112 won out by virtue of the fact that I don't yet own a Panerai. True, it's not the most complicated, rare, exquisite or unique watch out there, but it's a classic design nonetheless, with a lot of history behind it. Mind you, the SOA, being a variation on that theme, would definitely have earned the 112's spot if only I could've snagged the black dial at the introductory price, and I didn't already own a SEAL -- variety is the spice of life, after all.

As for the used market, I agree with you 100%, Warren. Sure, if someone were to turn around and flip one tomorrow, maybe it'd go for $900, but once the price increase hits, I seriously doubt you'll find them for less than $1500.

Regards,
Adam

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Sure, if someone were to turn around and flip one tomorrow, maybe it'd go for $900
I think if anyone sold one now it would sell for more than list $ because WIS are impatient and would pay more than list to not wait till march for a watch.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I don't think more because it is not a limited ed watch...if people are selling them is because it is not their style watch, maybe too big or what not.. I wanted one but I was away to order one, since I probably can't get one before christmas, my monies will have to go towards other brand so I can have a new watch for christmas.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Hi Guys

Just put down my deposit for the next batch (is it March yet?) i figured that at $1050.00 i was in a win win situation:-! if you are willing to go to the 1K mark on a pre-owned then why not go to another few bucks and get a brand new one?got to figure your money back if the watch is not for you.

Martin

1 - 8 of 8 Posts