WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it's been talked about, especially when it comes to dive watches. But I love to hear from fellow WIS.

Over the years I have moved away from the bulkier looking external bezels.

Don't get me wrong, I understand rotating bezels have their place. Throw a Planet Ocean at me and I will not scoff! Heck throw a Seiko Monster at me and I will wear it with pride. It is just from an aesthetic point of view, I find the lack of the external bezel to make a watch look sleeker, may hap a bit more classically stylish.

Maybe it is just my age, and not having the need for "sporty" any longer.

What is your preference....and why, when it comes to rotating external bezels? Feel free to use a pic or two of your preference.

Borrowing a pic from the net, as mine won't be here till next week. Classic look, not to sporty, not to thick. I think an external bezel on this piece would throw off the balance for me. Maybe make it a little too...busy.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
I certainly agree that some bezels are too "in your face," but many watches get them just right. I love the internal bezels of the Maurice Lacroix Pontos S Diver and the Longines Legend Diver, and I love the external bezel of my inexpensive Seiko SNZH53:

photo (7) - resize.JPG

Watches with no rotating bezel (such as the one you show) are cool, too. Just personal taste, I imagine.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
One of my favorite part of wearing a watch is being able to time things. So almost all of mine have an internal or external bezel. That said, I have seven internal bezel watches so I certainly appreciate your desire for a sleek case.

·
Registered
142 Posts
It took me a fair while of virtual shopping, but I think I've decided they aren't really for me. I understand there is almost a tradition now (James Bond, Rolex ads etc) of considering bold, sporty watches as glamorous and even stylish, and I concede there is some practicality to a really robust watch, but it still feels to me a little like a city slicker driving a chromed-up Humvee. It will never see the conditions it was originally intended for, so it is a pretender, or at best a fashion statement.

Having said that, all watches are a mixture of practical features and style elements borrowed from outside the purely necessary. Everyone has their own comfort level with borrowed style - I've realised I'm pretty conservative, but I do like some element of masculine 'action' and dare I say, some slight 'bling' so I finally ordered this Certina Chrono as my first 'real' watch for daily wear:

image.jpg

Some will find it too conservative, others will find it too flashy. For me it feels about right. I like the stainless bracelet and black dial. I'll use the chrono very occasionally, but only because it's there - mainly I like the look of a chrono and the demonstration of mechanical gadgetry. I'll never use the tachy, but it's under the crystal so it doesn't make the same statement as if it had its own bezel.

A chunky dive bezel would just be too bold and irrelevant for me.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I am generally not a fan of external bezels but I do like this one that I recently acquired.

I much prefer the internal bezel. Even something crazy like this:

The vast majority of my watches do not have a rotating bezel at all.

Here is one I would love to have:

·
Registered
609 Posts
I think that you have it down. External bezels are much about a sporty look. If you prefer a more conservative look then choose a non bezel. I am older and retired; Yet, I dig the sporty and casual diver as the watch I mostly wear. :)

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am generally not a fan of external bezels but I do like this one that I recently acquired.

I much prefer the internal bezel. Even something crazy like this:

The vast majority of my watches do not have a rotating bezel at all.

Here is one I would love to have:

I love that Nomos.

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
How about this awesome combo of knurled bezel with internal rotating bezel :

And the Pontos Diver indeed gets it absolutely right :

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
I'm with you on this - not a fan of external rotating bezels. I don't think this has anything to do with age - I'm in my late 20s and still prefer classic clean styling. IMO external bezels add a lot of clutter. For me, the smaller the bezel the better.

Oh and you can do sporty without an external rotating bezel:

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
I don't dive, and my cell phone with alarm handles timing things better than my Speedy.

I keep feeling a pull to have a watch like that, but I can't see expanding my 'stable' and I don't want to replace any of the ones I have.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
I appreciate rotating bezels but prefer not to have them.

Oddly enough, I kind of like Tachymeters. What I don't care for are giant bezels with engraved letters that look like they could rotate but don't (especially when they could be super useful like tracking another time zone on a GMT watch). For example, I would buy an Explorer II in a heart beat if the bezel would either rotate or was less prominent (same issue with the Seiko SBGM029).

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I appreciate rotating bezels but prefer not to have them.

Oddly enough, I kind of like Tachymeters. What I don't care for are giant bezels with engraved letters that look like they could rotate but don't (especially when they could be super useful like tracking another time zone on a GMT watch). For example, I would buy an Explorer II in a heart beat if the bezel would either rotate or was less prominent (same issue with the Seiko SBGM029).
This. That's a dishonest watch, and I don't buy things from companies that lie to me that blatantly.

I've seen a couple of watches that have almost made me pull the trigger on an internal bezel:
orient_star_seeker_gmt_sdj00001bo_.still002.jpg
Orient Star Seeker

laguna3.jpg
Halios Laguna

In reality though the only two divers I have at the moment have external bezels, and they're both really good. I especially love the fact that the Seiko Monster's bezel can be reset by touch without my ever having to look at it. I don't know how you'd implement a feature like that (if it's an intentional feature) in a watch with an internal bezel. Clickers like on Wheel of Fortune maybe?

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
I don't mind bezels of any sort. As long as I don't feel like it compromised the size of the dial at all. Can't stand to see a 50mm watch with a 30mm dial. Ugh!

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Both have their place, but I much prefer internal. I firmly believe one should never wear an external bezel with a suit (other than a swimsuit)

External:

Internal:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts