WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I've been around here for a short while and have already acquired quite a few watches (5600s to be exact, yeah I dig those b-)). I've been stunned by many mods I've seen around, specially those that use the DW-5025 mirror & screwback module/case, heh. So, after drooling over the pics of those customized watches and reading many a tutorial I think it's time I started to meddle with the watches myself.

I need to buy some tools. I live in Spain. I prefer to buy via ebay.

Well, the precision philips screwdriver was fairly easy to get. I've seen that some people are happy with the Husky screwdriver set so I got my hands on one of those and that's it. It was one of these:

Ebay: Husky precision screwdrivers - Phillips and slotted

So, now I need a springbar removal tool (and also a pin removal tool for the GW-M5600BC bracelet) and I'm totally lost! There are sooo many on ebay that I have no idea which one I should get! :roll:

Could you help me out and point me to an adequate one, please?

Thanks in advance! :-!

·
Registered
366 Posts
I too have been biten by the bug and purchased some watch tools to help my hobby/addiction ;-)

For springbar tools I'd recommend a Swiss made Bergeon 6767-F.

It's second to none in quality and build and works perfectly. It will set you back about 12-15 euros from ebay.

When it comes to removing the screwback on my 5600c's I find that my Jaxa style tool works best for me.

It's the type with the three pins which I find gives me a better grip and reduces the chances of slipping and damaging the caseback. Again, Jaxa type tools can be found for a 5 euros on ebay.

I hope this helps. :-!

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
I too have been biten by the bug and purchased some watch tools to help my hobby/addiction ;-)

For springbar tools I'd recommend a Swiss made Bergeon 6767-F.

It's second to none in quality and build and works perfectly. It will set you back about 12-15 euros from ebay.

When it comes to removing the screwback on my 5600c's I find that my Jaxa style tool works best for me.

It's the type with the three pins which I find gives me a better grip and reduces the chances of slipping and damaging the caseback. Again, Jaxa type tools can be found for a 5 euros on ebay.

I hope this helps. :-!
That caseback three pin looks good. How well has it worked for you? Is there a better tool that requires less muscle with less chance of damage??
Thanks....Geode

·
Registered
366 Posts
That caseback three pin looks good. How well has it worked for you? Is there a better tool that requires less muscle with less chance of damage??
Thanks....Geode
It's very straight forward to use and doesn't require much force. If used correctly, there will not be any damage to your watch's caseback. :-!

·
Registered
494 Posts
+1 on both of Mint G's suggestions. I have both of these tools, and they work great. However, I had to pay more than 5 euros (in USD) a year or so ago for the caseback tool. Still, I have paid for it already with two battery changes I did myself.

·
Registered
936 Posts
You guys would laugh if you saw what I use- a small flat-blade electrical screwdriver and a tiny Philips driver from a £1.99 Woolworths spectacles repair kit! Oh, and a £1.00 set of Allen keys for the Mudman bezel screws...

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
You guys would laugh if you saw what I use- a small flat-blade electrical screwdriver and a tiny Philips driver from a £1.99 Woolworths spectacles repair kit! Oh, and a £1.00 set of Allen keys for the Mudman bezel screws...
:-d lol

Obviously a British thing. I've just been struggling to get a bezel screw out with a tiny screwdriver I think actually did come from a Christmas cracker, in order to stealth a bezel using nail varnish remover. Took me ages to get the screw out, the nail varnish isn't working, but I'm persevering.

·
Registered
366 Posts
:-d lol
Took me ages to get the screw out, the nail varnish isn't working, but I'm persevering.
David, don't forget the EVO-STICK Adhesive Cleaner it works wonders! ;-)

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
David, don't forget the EVO-STICK Adhesive Cleaner it works wonders! ;-)
Precisely. I know about the evo-stick stuff from a previous post of yours, but I'd have to buy that. B&Q is a whole ten minutes walk from my house, and it'll cost £3. The alternative is nail varnish remover, and a lot of effort.

I chose the nail varnish remover. Why? 'Don't tell him Pike'

·
Registered
366 Posts

·
Registered
7,033 Posts
I had a bad experiance last time I went to my local watch store to have my batteries replaced out of 3 watches I have had to take 2 back to have a new battery installed. I think im going to buy some tools and start doing it myself. My collection is growning so much I dont want to pay good money for crap batteries. also dont ever trust those guys to take much care. The only place I trust is over 1 hour away and not open on the weekends.
can anybody recomend batteries and good tool kits that have what I would need to change battery bezel, straps b-)

·
Registered
764 Posts
Usually you can get a watch tool kit which usually consists of a jaxa tool, springbar tool and other watch tools you will probably make a saving as opposed to buying the tools separately, I got a tool kit on ebay a while back which was not too expensive.

·
Registered
7,033 Posts
Usually you can get a watch tool kit which usually consists of a jaxa tool, springbar tool and other watch tools you will probably make a saving as opposed to buying the tools separately, I got a tool kit on ebay a while back which was not too expensive.
thanks azziman :) I have seen some but not sure if they are good quality which brand did you get

·
Registered
6,361 Posts
thanks azziman :) I have seen some but not sure if they are good quality which brand did you get
i bought my kit from ebay and the screwdrivers are POS. the only tools i found useful is the springbar remover and the band link remover. and i used the hammer to crack open nuts. and the screwback opener is useful too. and the knife i used it to scrap 'stuff' under my nails.

oh, as for screwback, i used scotch tape to tape all over the scrwback before opening it. that way i wont scratch the screwback. :-!
thats how paranoid i am. :-d

·
Registered
764 Posts

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Very informative thread!:-!:-!

Three thumbs up guys...|>|>|>

Thanks!!:);-)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think i'll go for the Bergeon 6767 which looks like a good quality tool (I found at least one -german- ebay seller carrying it: uhrmacher24_de)

I'm gonna rip open and mix all my 5600s mwaaahahahahar! I'll post pictures of my Frankensteins if they ever get to -live-.

Thanks to everybody for your informative answers! Cheers to you! :-!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts