WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Here is a copy of a post I made over on the O7 sub-forum about lume on dive watches:

I've been thinking about the issue of lume on a dive watch recently.

It's obvious that H3 tubules are much brighter over the long run than the best SL. Yes, SL can be charged up to glow even more brightly than H3 for a few minutes, but who dives for a few minutes? Who even checks their watch in the first few minutes of a dive (other than WISs, to see the lume while it's still bright :roll:).

For that matter, since I no longer dive for work and only ever sport dive now, I don't dive without a dive light. My last 25 night dives were probably all made without my eyes ever becoming dark-adapted. I'm usually using my dive light, composing on a digicam view screen or firing strobes, sometimes all of the above. As such, I don't think I could see anything but H3 tubules on a watch when I'm in the water on a night dive (I've not dived an H3 watch yet)*.

And on a day dive, who cares about lume?

WISs, that's who. Most of whom don't even dive deeper than their bathtubs or swimming pools.

For a long time now, I've thought the issue of lume is
way overdone by dive watch makers and collectors. Yes, I like good, even lume. I don't like sloppily finished dials or spotty lume (as with the early Kronos watches). But this whole need-a-watch-to-light-your-way-through-Mordor thing is ridiculous. Give me a nice looking dial with even lume any day! And if you want to be serious about lume on a dive watch, put H3 tubules on the dial and in the hands.

* Writing this reminds me that I'm long overdue for a boring, peaceful dive. Night-time on the reef is unbeatable. No camera, no dive light (emergency light of course), rebreather, me and the reef. As close to isolation as is attainable on this planet for me. I love it!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.