WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

should i have RSC proceed with a polish?

• polish, and yes i looked at the photos

Votes: 22 53.7%
  • don't polish, and yes i looked at the photos

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • polish. no need to look at photos.

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • don't polish. no need to look at photos.

Votes: 10 24.4%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my new-to-me 16570 Polar Explorer II is at RSC right now. looks like it's never been serviced, and i have a quote for some normal service (movement servicing, new crown, timing, etc.) that includes polishing.

this will be a daily wearer and i expect it'll get bumped around some. so, i don't mind the way it looks now, but i'll admit there is some appeal to getting it like-new and putting on my own marks.

additionally, the engraving is not mine. i've put the question to them if that can be removed with a polish or if a new caseback is needed.

i'm linking offsite to hi-res photos. i hope these provide enough clarity, and sorry for my poor photography skills.

back

bracelet

9 side

crown side

front

thoughts?

·
Registered
646 Posts
I voted Polish no need to look (tho I did then look.

Polish for the reasons you mentioned, it will then not only be new to you in ownership, but with a polish also in appearance, besides that engraving has no relationship to you, then you are free to wear it and put your own mark(s) (pun intended) on it.

That's a great wear anywhere anytime watch, congrats.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
I say polish, I echo the first responder who mentioned that it will come back 'looking brand new'. As long as it's an RSC who's doing the polishing.
Some people prefer the patina'ed look OP. Only you can know in your heart :)

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I say polish, I echo the first responder who mentioned that it will come back 'looking brand new'. As long as it's an RSC who's doing the polishing.
yes, it's in the hands of the Toronto RSC now.

my heart says, "get it like new, wear it, live your life, it'll get bumped and scratched and that's okay."

really, my only concern is that it gets badly polished and looks bad.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
yes, it's in the hands of the Toronto RSC now.

my heart says, "get it like new, wear it, live your life, it'll get bumped and scratched and that's okay."

really, my only concern is that it gets badly polished and looks bad.
I've never owned Rolex, only Tudors. The reason that matters is the 904L. I'm afraid I don't speak from experience. I've done some research on the Rolex forums (I have some Rolex models in mind), and they said "as long as you have the RSC polish it....". I can empathize with your concern, Zim.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I didn't reply to your poll because my answer doesn't fit. I'd see if they could give the bracelet a re-brush, but not polish the case. The bracelet scratches are fairly noticable and should come out easily with a light brushing, but I don't see anything objectionable about the case as is, so I'd not touch that.

·
Banned
106 Posts
Leave it be wear as is and enjoy it, you won't freak out about scratches if there already there and it's a daily wearer anyways so it won't take long to scratch it all up again! Nice pickup I have had several explorer ii's. Super versatile! Enjoy in good health!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
646 Posts
In this instance where the watch is coming to you, it's an easier decision to polish, and I understand that a Rolex is good for a couple of polishes before the dimensions 'shrink'.
Once you own it is a different proposition, and the decision to polish is not so compelling.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I understand that a Rolex is good for a couple of polishes before the dimensions 'shrink'.
interesting, i'd not heard anyone put it that way before. this would be its first polish, i suppose, lessening the risk of something bad happening.

·
Premium Member
3,240 Posts
I expected that I would say 'no polish,' but after looking at the photos, I changed my mind. I don't mind a little pre-wear on a used watch, but this is excessive IMHO. And since 'polish' in this case is to reapply a brushed finish, even better.

Regards,
Alysandir

·
Registered
1,263 Posts

RSC (London HQ) ruined my Sub on its second service, by over-polishing the lugs to the point that they are visibly thin.

Do NOT assume competence.

·
Registered
646 Posts
RSC (London HQ) ruined my Sub on its second service, by over-polishing the lugs to the point that they are visibly thin.

Do NOT assume competence.
I would be gutted if this happened to me, as I am sure you are/were.

How can you avoid this, find a good independent and stay with them as they polish, and then check real time as they polish, would anyone even allow this.
AFAIK when you send it to Rolex and say refinish then you are at their mercy in terms of what they perceive as refinish, ie you may be happy with a light polish but that is not a Rolex option.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I would say polish as all those marks are not relevant to you.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts