WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apologies if I've made too many of these "what should I get?" topics. I love the feedback every time, though, and I'm getting close to a plateau soon, I think.
My new collection has hit the point I wanted at 8 watches now. I just got my G steel GSTS110-1A today, and I initially love it. I think it will be fine on full day wearing, too.

I have 3 analogs, and that's more than enough for that. I have 5 digitals, and that's more than enough for that. I really don't want an excessive number of watches, but... I really like the idea of getting a Rangeman (or maybe a Mudman). Here are my pros and cons of getting it:

Pros:
I just like the idea of it
It's got the over-the-top tough, ton-of-functions look that I love. It just screams "tough", and I love that.
Love the buttons on it
Like the big display with 3 lines on it
Like the light button on the front

Cons:
I'd rarely use any of the functions it provides beyond what normal G's give
Those functions might just get in the way of what I'd really use the watch for (like having a supercomputer rather than a calculator for doing basic addition)
It might take the place (or just sit on the bench) of existing watches I already have that fill my tough digital workhorse role great already (GW6900-1, GD400-9CS, GD-120CM-5CR)
It might be too big - don't know

I was thinking about the Mudman since it's smaller and possibly more comfortable. However, I figured if I was going to do this, go all the way to the Rangeman. I prefer its button looks, the light button on the front, and it has one extra feature that I actually might use in my suburban/office life: sunrise/sunset data.

Here are wrist shots of two of my existing watches that fill this role for me already for sizing estimates. I'm quite comfortable with them, but will admit I like my smaller ones for around-the-house wear.

GD400_2.jpg

20170307_233209.jpg

So, given what I've laid out there, what's your advice?

A) Hold off. You've built up 8 watches in a short time, so you don't need more now. This probably isn't anything you need anyway. You're existing watches have you covered for what you use them for. This would just be a bigger, over-complicated version of what already works great.
B) Get the Mudman. It's a good compromise, and it's just that good of a watch for the money.
C) Get the Rangeman. It does it all and looks good doing it. Doesn't matter what you already have or don't have; this watch is just that awesome, and you'd probably love it.
D) You know this is F17, right? What do you think we'll say? Get both of them, and multiple copies of each while you're at it!!!
E) Other

·
Registered
8,127 Posts
I'd say go for it if you like it.

It has the best build quality of all of my Gs, which are in the $200 and under price range. The button action is great. The knurled metal buttons give a nice grip. The watch just feels solid. Although it's big, I find it wears comfortably on my 7.25"-7.5" wrist.

Downsides, compared to some Pro Treks, are the small compass & pressure differential graphic displays, the small time digits, and the thick profile. Upsides are the protective resin bezel (easily replaceable) and the one-touch stopwatch.

I didn't originally want one, but I bought one for my nephew and was so impressed with the look and feel of the Rangeman that I immediately bought another one for myself. It's more impressive when you handle it in person than when you just see it in pictures.

I'd recommend sticking with the positive display rather than a negative display. There is a lot of information on the display, and it's much easier to see with a positive display.

Rangeman GW-9400-1 (DSC00716).JPG

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Oh, absolutely on the positive display. It's a shame about the olive one with the negative display. If that one was positive, I'd be rushing to get it right now. It's maybe my favorite looking G I've seen browsing them on the web. My first G Shock a couple of months ago was negative, and it took me just two hours of wearing it around the house to discover I'm very much in the "not for me" camp with them. That's bad since it rules out a ton of really cool looking G Shocks, but it's good since it helps keep my wish list sorta kinda manageable. But, yeah, for me, negative display (unless maybe it's an ani-digi that I'll just use an analog) is an insta-no for me.

6.7 inch wrists for me, by the way. I do tend to prefer the medium sized and smaller G's, but my GD120 and that G Steel I just got are perfectly fine.

·
Registered
8,127 Posts
Oh, absolutely on the positive display. It's a shame about the olive one with the negative display. If that one was positive, I'd be rushing to get it right now. It's maybe my favorite looking G I've seen browsing them on the web. My first G Shock a couple of months ago was negative, and it took me just two hours of wearing it around the house to discover I'm very much in the "not for me" camp with them. That's bad since it rules out a ton of really cool looking G Shocks, but it's good since it helps keep my wish list sorta kinda manageable. But, yeah, for me, negative display (unless maybe it's an ani-digi that I'll just use an analog) is an insta-no for me.

6.7 inch wrists for me, by the way. I do tend to prefer the medium sized and smaller G's, but my GD120 and that G Steel I just got are perfectly fine.
If you're comfortable with the fit of a GD-120, I think the Rangeman will be just fine.

I did the bargain olive mod (resin swap) on my nephew's Rangeman. He liked the olive, but wanted the best display readability. Other folks on F17 have done the full-blown olive mod (module swap). It's better, but requires buying two watches (olive/negative and black/positive).

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,011 Posts
A g-shock collection would not be complete without a Rangeman. Even though Casio might come out with its successor soon (we don't know), it is still a lot of watch for the money. Really great bang for the buck, as long as you stay away from the limited ed. versions. A MUST-HAVE! No need to say more.

·
Registered
3,961 Posts
I would warn against compromising, as in my experience it just does not scratch the itch, and it will leave you with less funds while still yearning for the watch you originally wanted. Not to say that the Mudman is at all a bad watch, but if you want the Rangeman I say go for the Rangeman. You will not be disappointed. You may find that, while you don't need any of the extra functions, you will come to appreciate them over time. Plus the thing looks pretty damn cool, which is reason enough.

You may want to mull it over for a week or so though, since Baselworld is just around the corner, and there might be some new release you would rather wait for.

·
Registered
8,127 Posts
If you're comfortable with the fit of a GD-120, I think the Rangeman will be just fine.
I just wore my Rangeman today and also compared it side by side with the GD-120. The Rangeman is a bit wider due to the sensor and sensor button, and a bit longer lug to lug, due to the dedicated light button. However, it wears about the same as the GD-120 lug to lug, because the strap curves down more sharply on the Rangeman.

·
Registered
8,127 Posts
Really great bang for the buck.
The GW-9400-1 (basic black, positive display) is going for about $185 at Amazon now (third-party vendors). Even if a Rangeman II is introduced soon, it's not likely to be this cheap for quite awhile.

·
Registered
110 Posts
You have my vote for the Rangeman mate :)

I got my first basic Rangeman back in October last year and I've now owned all 14 models of them :D

Go for what you wanted but take care of your wallet on the way as well ~

·
Registered
36,300 Posts
Replace your 6900 with a Rangeman. It's a better watch IMHO.

There is no such thing as "too many Rangeman"

One of it's great features is a one-touch stopwatch start. Very convenient.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, I may have to take the plunge. I'd probably opt for the basic black model if I do this. There are others that I like, but probably not for the cost. The strongest possibility would be the desert camo variant if the price was right. Even then, I might still like the basic black for this one.

I've seen a thread on here asking everyone what are the three "must have" G shocks for any collector. Being new to these, the one specific model I'd put on that list is the Rangeman, from what I've gathered.

To make a football analogy, this may be like in the draft when you're loaded at a position on your existing team, but a once-in-a-lifetime prospect is available at that position when you pick. Usually, in those cases the right play is to take the transcendent player and sort everything else out afterward. From what I've gathered, this watch is just that good.

·
Registered
9,736 Posts
I bought mine in November 2015. I originally like smaller sized watches, but the Rangeman kind of "came out at me". Great features and well worth the $. Only downside for me is the bulk.

·
Registered
30,668 Posts
Replace your 6900 with a Rangeman. It's a better watch IMHO.

There is no such thing as "too many Rangeman"

One of it's great features is a one-touch stopwatch start. Very convenient.

Lovely shot Yankee I gotta admit I'm not interested in the older Rangers anymore but great to see them all together. The Red one ( with positive display ) is a stunner

·
Registered
291 Posts
Got the Rangeman last September and then got the G-9300 Mudman. I got the Mudman thinking it might suit me better cause what I was really looking for at the time was a temp/moonphase/compass watch and somehow missed the Mudman. After owning both, while i still really like the Mudman, I see myself reaching for the Rangeman more cause it's just so much better looking and easier to use.

·
Registered
36,300 Posts
Got the Rangeman last September and then got the G-9300 Mudman. I got the Mudman thinking it might suit me better cause what I was really looking for at the time was a temp/moonphase/compass watch and somehow missed the Mudman. After owning both, while i still really like the Mudman, I see myself reaching for the Rangeman more cause it's just so much better looking and easier to use.
Mudman 9300 is an excellent G-Shock as well

And the 12th

·
Registered
36,300 Posts
Lovely shot Yankee I gotta admit I'm not interested in the older Rangers anymore but great to see them all together. The Red one ( with positive display ) is a stunner
Thanks. It is a very polarizing watch amongst WIS...either they love it or Hate it with a passion:

It is now a very expensive watch to assemble.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I have both display version, very cool g shocks, metal buttons is awesome, one touch stop watch is useful and it has all the ABC functions, its a big thick watch none the less. and am iffy about the fake screws on the front of the watch that serves no purpose.

·
Registered
36,300 Posts
I have both display version, very cool g shocks, metal buttons is awesome, one touch stop watch is useful and it has all the ABC functions, its a big thick watch none the less. and am iffy about the fake screws on the front of the watch that serves no purpose.
Confused.....what are "both display version"?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts