WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I know this topic has been discussed before and quite at length on this forum and our other favorite forum site, but I wanted to get an idea of what you Breitling owners think. Should our precious B's be kept on watch winders? Does this constant winding and running of the mechanical movement put extra wear and stress on the mechanical parts inside the watch? Does the service interval shorten or lengthen when a watch is constantly running vs. starting and stopping??

From what I have read there are two schools of thought on watch winders. The first says that when you keep a watch running you are keeping the oils and lubricants evenly distributed inside the watch. When the watch is not running, these oils and lubricants dry up, gunk up, and effect accuracy and time keeping functions once the watch starts to run again. This school of thought also says that winding the watch manually from a dead stop is not good for the crown, stem, etc. and causes more damage then leaving the watch running all the time.

The second school of though says keeping the watch on a winder is like running your car all of the time. It puts added stress on the movement and the parts inside the watch, which they say will cause the watch to need service sooner. This school of thought says that there is no problem with manually winding the watch and letting it run down, and that the oil and lubricants in the watch that "dry up" will eventually become liquid again after several weeks or month when the watch is worn and the movement is working.

Which school of thought to you agree with and what do you guys think?? Do you guys keep your B's on winders?? Obviously, I know the type of winder has a lot to do with whether or not it will damage (overwind) the watch it is winding. But I am asking more generally. Do all watch winders cause our Bs to require service at a shorter interval due to added stress or a longer interval due to keeping the inside of the watch properly lubricated??? I really wish I had the answer to this one, as it seems that everyone has a different opinion!!!

·
Registered
39,248 Posts
:think: A little of both, watches are ment to run all the time and winding by
the crown does no damage, unless your careless. I use my Lucien
Piccard as a benchmark and I've had it for more than 45 years and it's
been through a lot and if another watch can't measure up, it's crap!

Treat your watch like you treat your car, service often, three to six
years. Five to seven for quartz, if it's not a throwaway.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts