WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
8,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
since we are an obviously technical biased and interested community, I wonder how many have noticed this:

http://www.geneva.ch/lhc.htm

http://public.web.cern.ch/public/

in short: scientists from around the world hope to get new cognitions about the birth of the universe and the big bang theory, by accelerating protons nearly to the speed of light (99,999991%) and collide them (LHC - large hadron collider).

the experiement is fairly controversial, critics are afraid of unforseen and unpredictable consequences and claim that the earth could be destroyed by creating one ore more black hole due to the colliding process. what do you think?

regards, holger

·
Registered
597 Posts

the experiement is fairly controversial, critics are afraid of unforseen and unpredictable consequences and claim that the earth could be destroyed by creating one ore more black hole due to the colliding process. what do you think?

regards, holger
no way, earth is destroyed by environmental pollution, slowly

Sibe

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
since we are an obviously technical biased and interested community, I wonder how many have noticed this:

http://www.geneva.ch/lhc.htm

http://public.web.cern.ch/public/

in short: scientists from around the world hope to get new cognitions about the birth of the universe and the big bang theory, by accelerating protons nearly to the speed of light (99,999991%) and collide them (LHC - large hadron collider).

regards, holger

The project is pretty cool, and I hope it yields many practical benefits to all. I've heard about the fears and think they are overblown. Most scientists in the know, know it's not going to happen. Heck, if it does though, no one's gonna know :-d:-d:-d:-d:-d:-d

Kev

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
The project is pretty cool, and I hope it yields many practical benefits to all. I've heard about the fears and think they are overblown. Most scientists in the know, know it's not going to happen. Heck, if it does though, no one's gonna know :-d:-d:-d:-d:-d:-d

Kev
That's just what I was thinking.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Not sure but I think NPR updated this morning said the 17 mile tunnel that the particles are sent through will re-create the post impact environment of the universe forming.
What the heck does that mean? How could anyone have a clue what the environment looked like a nano second after the "birth" of the universe?
I have an open mind but really...

·
Registered
665 Posts
I've been hearing and reading about this for nearly a decade or more. I was even about to apply for its fire brigade but gave up due to the very high requirements. Hopefully this will throw a little light on the universe's birth AND a new source of energy.

·
7,430 Posts
I equate this to the $500,000 taxpayer grant a university was given to determine if a cows farts are bad for the Ozone, or the $250,000 taxpayer grant the government gave another school for one of the most important social issues plaguing civilization......whether or not Bugs Bunny was homosexual. I could go on and on with the meaningless nonsense money gets sunk into that leads to no information whatsoever benefitting nobody.

By the way, whatever happened to the global COOLING that was feared and talked about in the 70's that was predicting another ice age for man the way we talk about global WARMING today?

All things that keep me scratching my brain :think:

·
Registered
170 Posts
I equate this to the $500,000 taxpayer grant a university was given to determine if a cows farts are bad for the Ozone, or the $250,000 taxpayer grant the government gave another school for one of the most important social issues plaguing civilization......whether or not Bugs Bunny was homosexual. I could go on and on with the meaningless nonsense money gets sunk into that leads to no information whatsoever benefitting nobody.

By the way, whatever happened to the global COOLING that was feared and talked about in the 70's that was predicting another ice age for man the way we talk about global WARMING today?

I agree:-!

·
Registered
29,512 Posts
I think it's a wonderful experiment, and as significant as space exploration.

We have enquiring minds, we must enquire! :-!

·
Registered
1,023 Posts

The experiment won't cause the end of the world. It will just be a gigantic waste of money.

Planet Earth has had a very, very long history. Global warming and cooling cycles have always been a part of Earth's history, and human behavior has never caused any of those countless warming and cooling cycles.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Those protons are circling the 17 mile tunnel 11,000 times a second.

And as for enquiring minds, can a G-Shock withstand the big bang?

Now for the best part:

"Kate McAlpine, 23, a Michigan State University graduate at CERN, has produced the Large Hadron Rap, a video clip that has attracted more than a million views on You Tube:"

Large Hadron Rap

·
Registered
689 Posts
okay here is the thing, i know technology is good and all, but damn, why can't people focus on issues at hand at the moment and trying to solve them?

i bet all these experiments costs a butt load of money. and yeah, just like DougFNJ said, this is probably another waste of money that could have been used elsewhere.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I hope a new crater doesn't appear in Europe. Global warming is pretty much overhyped. Earth do really experience periods of cooling n warming anyway either way you can barely do much to prevent. Regarding extinction, yes species do get wiped out but new evolved species are emerging in the process. Anyway should a global nuclear war occur, cockroaches will rule the world!

·
7,430 Posts
Planet Earth has had a very, very long history. Global warming and cooling cycles have always been a part of Earth's history, and human behavior has never caused any of those countless warming and cooling cycles.
Thank GOD people are finally catching the gist of this

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
No chance of creating a 'black hole' that could survive for any longer than the almost unimaginable shortest period of time.

At the quantum level the uncertainty principle would mean that some matter would keep finding itself outside of the Schwarzschild barrier and the tiny 'Black Hole' would disintegrate in no time at all.

Mitch

·
Registered
1,011 Posts

·
Registered
990 Posts
WWSHD?

SH= Stephen Hawking

Sorry, I gotta leave this one to the pro. While I do believe in God, I dont remember the book of revelation mentioning anything about black holes, or particle accelerators.

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
Stuffed Shirt #1 - "We seem to have a large amount of excess revenue at our disposal. Shall we try to help the millions of starving and diseased people around the world, or build a super-cool gizmo that creates tiny black holes?"

Stuffed Shirt #2 - "Forget the wretches. Let's build the gizmo!!!!"

o|o|o|o|o|o|o|o|o|

·
7,430 Posts
Stuffed Shirt #1 - "We seem to have a large amount of excess revenue at our disposal. Shall we try to help the millions of starving and diseased people around the world, or build a super-cool gizmo that creates tiny black holes?"

Stuffed Shirt #2 - "Forget the wretches. Let's build the gizmo!!!!"

o|o|o|o|o|o|o|o|o|
You forgot Stuffed Shirt #3....

Stuffed Shirt #1 - "How are we going to sell this idea to the rest of the world?" :-s

Stuffed Shirt #3 walks in "We'll tell them we don't know what's going to happen when we turn it on, but there is a possibility it could create a black hole that could destroy the world" :think:

Stuffed Shirt #2- "Wow, what a fantastic idea" :-!

Buzz and I- "o|o|o|o|o|o|o|o|o| "

1 - 20 of 36 Posts