WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I picked this Geneva pattern Lorch Schmidt 6mm lathe up today (locally) :-!

It is a very complete set, with cross-slide, headstocks and even a pivot burnishing set up. Plus some gravers thrown in. Does anyone have the manual for one of these (PDF?). I don't know what most of the attachments are for.

It was a bit expensive, so I will not be buying any more watches for a while (I have been given the hard word - still, at least there are still a few more watches on the way in the post :-!).

Also, got this Omega PW back from my watchmaker, 1908 and he says he got it within 2s per day :-! Note, no serial number on the back of the movement on these older Omegas - only under the dial. Speaking of the dial, it is signed by a local jeweler from my home-city.

·
Registered
18,163 Posts
Home city dials are fun. I'm lucky to be at the home of Gruen's Columbus Watch Company. It is a good hook to show off your watch to locals :)

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
We should have a topic about dials with city reference on them, that would be interesting. Right now I can't remember whether I have any.
Geneva is probably the most referenced city on
watch dials, I have one or two.

Trim, that is a nice lathe you've bought yourself.

I don't think these ever came with a manual as such, only an
accessory catalogue that I know of.

Your lathe comes with a mandrel headstock which is a very useful accessory and was a very expensive 'extra' in its day.
This mandrel head will enable you to acurately 'upright' any hole
to the corresponding hole in the opposite plate....very handy when
accurately drilling and reaming for bushes, jewelling and pivot holes
and loads of other uses.

The small brass collets fit into the largest steel collet and are for
holding screws without damaging the threads.
Five wheel collets...for holding wheels. The plain brass disks on
arbours are wax chucks.

The angled item fits at the back below the headstock and engages with
holes in the dividing plate on the headstock allowing acurate division
of angles to an item held in the headstock....usefull when filing a square on a stem as an example.

The pivot polishing accessory you know.

Most of the other stuff is for working between centers on delicate
items,centers and carriers, safety pulleys etc.

Most good watchmaking books have sections on the lathe and its
uses...learn the techniques and you'll keep yourself amused for hours
as you practice.

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
We should have a topic about dials with city reference on them, that would be interesting. Right now I can't remember whether I have any.
I live about 5 blocks from the Waltham Watch Company's old factory. I luckily happen to have several of their pocket watches. I think I need to move to Illinois in the future.

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
I love the Omega pocket watch. The one pocket watch that I would love to own is an A. Lange & Sohne. I had one growing up, but it was lost in the move to America. I guess you will be waiting a a bit to purchase more watches.

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Radger, I was wondering if you'd be along. I have read in the watchmaking forum about you having a lorch Lathe.

Thanks for the pointers. I am working my way through a couple of books now. I might post a couple of accessories that have me totally bamboozled.

I do think I got lucky with the selection of attachments on this one. :-!

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I love the Omega pocket watch. The one pocket watch that I would love to own is an A. Lange & Sohne. I had one growing up, but it was lost in the move to America. I guess you will be waiting a a bit to purchase more watches.
I have never seen one myself. But, I agree completely - it would be a compulsory purchase.

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
And one more thing...

I have ended up buying this Seitz jewel press as well. There might be one stump missing (I need to check the manual, as I am not 100% certain), but otherwise the set is complete and in good order. It was also a complete bargain :-!

I am not sure what is happening, I seem to be buying tools not watches :rodekaart

Between the lathe, staking set and this jeweling set - I think my spare time is gone for the next year!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts