WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,888 Posts
Looking good. Though it mostly looks the same, the modern Speedmaster bracelet is horrible. Too heavy, links are longer and thicker, and clasp is the same thickness as a Planet Ocean's. You could always source a 1998/849 and use a half link from the 1610.

Reactions: Merv

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looking good. Though it mostly looks the same, the modern Speedmaster bracelet is horrible. Too heavy, links are longer and thicker, and clasp is the same thickness as a Planet Ocean's. You could always source a 1998/849 and use a half link from the 1610.
Thanks...been researching this annoying half-link situation. From what I read the pin configuration with the 1610 half-link won't be compatible with the newer bracelet with screws.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Wow!

I wasn't a fan of the Mitsukoshi dials at all.

But when I saw your photos, I liked it. I wasn't sure why, so I looked up the Mitsukoshi dial, and they have much shorter hour markers (they don't extend past the bevel).

So, the longer hour markers with that slight crease, and the splash of red elements really makes or breaks the Speedy Panda for me :O

·
Registered
12,995 Posts
Whoa Merv, man I have never seen that one before and what an amazing piece it is.
It oozes class from all angles it really is spectacular. I am not sure what else to say but this beats any other brand , the history the movement the pedigree it is all there that makes Omega number 1 .
So awesome you’ve got your hands on a truly special watch .
Of course it goes without saying wear it in spectacular health ...

·
Registered
906 Posts
I'm in love with this one. The way light plays with the white dial with that domed crystal :drool: Almost sprang for if, but I'm trying to add a reverso soon too. Ended up with the classic speedy pro on leather. I agree the bracelet on these isn't great. I do love this gator strap and the OEM clasp is great. Can't complain about the OEM nato as well.

Cheers and enjoy it!

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Whoa Merv, man I have never seen that one before and what an amazing piece it is.
It oozes class from all angles it really is spectacular. I am not sure what else to say but this beats any other brand , the history the movement the pedigree it is all there that makes Omega number 1 .
So awesome you’ve got your hands on a truly special watch .
Of course it goes without saying wear it in spectacular health ...
You’re a man of rare style and class. Thank you, for being you. |>

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks all for the nice words. I’ve always loved the Mitsukoshi panda so when I heard about this last year I very keen to pounce. Put myself on a waiting list in October and picked it up 8 months later. It’s better in person than I was expecting. Very happy.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm in love with this one. The way light plays with the white dial with that domed crystal :drool: Almost sprang for if, but I'm trying to add a reverso soon too. Ended up with the classic speedy pro on leather. I agree the bracelet on these isn't great. I do love this gator strap and the OEM clasp is great. Can't complain about the OEM nato as well.

Cheers and enjoy it!
The strap in the pics is a Hirsch Duke. I’m thinking of getting a racing strap.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Didn’t they put that fancy new clasp extension system on it so no need for a half link anymore when you can dial it in perfectly?

·
Registered
9,267 Posts
Whoa, that is nice. :-!
I must admit, that is one cool looking piece. Wear in the best of health, Merv.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Didn’t they put that fancy new clasp extension system on it so no need for a half link anymore when you can dial it in perfectly?
Yes the adjustable clasp comes fitted as standard on the bracelet so in theory it should cover all bases and negate the need for a half-link. In theory. In reality that’s not the case.

The clasp has 3 different positions and not a great amount of space between first and third positions. I’ve removed 2 links and bracelet fully extended is fine now in our Aussie winter. Won’t be any use in summer though. I’ve tried it with only 1 link removed and clasp fully retracted and it flops around ridiculously loosely. A half-link is the obvious fix and why Omega discontinues is a real whodunnit imo. Complete ballsup on their part. Lucky for me the watch is still absolutely beautiful regardless.

·
Registered
29,717 Posts
Wow! I’ve neither seen, nor heard of this limited edition before. It’s a real beauty! Perhaps not as pretty as say a blue Zelos GMT, but still a stunner.

Like that previous poster I love the history behind this watch and this limited edition only makes it extra special.

Wear it in GOoOd health!

Also with the strap I reckon a custom strap that has a colour scheme somewhat similar to this belt would be great:
76125737-794C-46DC-8F1F-E05C6DC9C1E0.jpeg

1 - 20 of 58 Posts