WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey All,

I was recently in Tokyo for a holiday and got some great info from these forums on where to look in Tokyo - so I had a bit of a browse at watch stores as I travelled around that fantastic city. This was my first time in Japan. Before going I tried to figure out where was best to shop and got some great info from WUS! Locating some of the stores was quite a challenge even with google maps by my side!

For context - I was mostly interested in a Grand Seiko and focused on a low price as opposed to the biggest range.

I thought I'd give some information and pricing on what I saw whilst over there to help anyone who is interested.

It was like stepping into a watch wonderland for me, coming from the sleepy city of Perth that has very limited options!

Locations
Anyway, of the stores I visited, I saw the best prices at the big electronics retailers - Yodobashi and Bic Camera, which have many locations throughout the city and they are huge! They each had a large selection of Seiko, Grand Seiko, Citizen, Orient, Orient Star, Omega, G-Shock and a few other brands. Both stores had identical pricing so you could buy from any location comfortably, the main difference is some stores have a much better range than others. LABI also had good prices on japanese brands.

The flagship of Yodobashi is in Akihabara, with watches being on the 8th floor I think. They had by far the largest selection I saw at the electronics retailers - stocking JLC, Patek, Montblanc, Nomos, Tag Heuer, Glycine, Junghans (plus many others I can't remember) in addition to what I listed above. I have a few photos of their displays I'll post below, that'll give a rough indication of pricing.

Bic Camera has their flagship store (split across two buildings - watches are in the one closer to the station) in Ikebukoro and it also had a large selection, though not nearly as many brands as the Akiba Yodobashi.

There was also a decent range of jap/swiss stock at the west side Shinjuku yodobashi store.

I also visited Jack Roads in Nakano Broadway tucked away on the 3rd floor (get off at Nakano station), a short train ride from Shinjuku station. They had a very large selection of Rolex, new and used, as well as a range of swiss brands - not much in the way of GS. At Nakano Broadway there were a few used watch stores with higher end stock (rolex, panerai, JLC etc.) so it's worth visiting.

There's also the BEST watch store in Shinjuku, on a bit of a side street behind Barney's New York and about 100m North-East of Bic Camera East. I only looked at the basement floor, which is entirely devoted to used watches and mostly swiss brands at that.

Prices
I can recall a few of the prices, which were much cheaper than here in Aus.
Omega AT white and grey dial (new - BIC) ~330,000 - 350 000 yen
Tag Heuer 1887 (new - Jack Roads) - 300,000 yen
Nomos Orion 38 (new - Jack Roads) - 165,000 yen
Here are a few pics of prices of GS and rolex from Yodobashi and BIC. (everything but the last two pics have sales tax included in the advertised price)

JLC (blurry I know)

Grand Seiko

Grand Seiko is japan was as widely available as could imagine and pretty much every department store or large retailer had some in stock. BIC etc. had the best prices but a limited range - not much in the way of GMT and of course no LE models. Wako in Ginza had a huge selection including some Credor models (all at RRP), so I had fun just browsing!
I became interested in GS after reading the many threads on here about their supposed amazing finishing quality all for a reasonable price. I thought I might buy a SARB if GS wasn't to my liking. In fact I was hoping I wouldn't like the GS and could spend less but it wasn't to be - they were stunning from the shining applied markers to the interesting case design! As much as I love the Omega AT's sporty style, side by side even it didn't hold up to the Grand Seiko finish quality to my eye.
Given I was keen on spending $2-2.5k or under I thought I could find myself something used, probably just a regular Auto or entry level Spring Drive, but still in good condition but as it turned out there were hardly any used GS for sale!
As I was minding my own business on the train one day though, a flash of blue caught my eye and I noticed the salaryman next to me was wearing a GS but it was actually a quartz model. I'd never intended to buy a quartz but it looked so good and I knew the details that GS quartz is no ordinary quartz model! I haven't looked back since.
The SBGV025 - 200 000 yen

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Nice write-up and congrats on a beautiful looking watch. I was in Tokyo a few weeks ago and also wanted to find a pre-owned mechanical GS but did not succeed. There aren't many out there!

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
This is perfectly timed for me, as I'm traveling to Tokyo in a few weeks and already starting to make a list for watch shopping. Thank you!

I'm mainly interested in new and vintage Seiko and Citizen. Would love to find some King Seiko or Lord Marvel.

Eric

·
Registered
130 Posts
Congrats! That's a gorgeous blue dial.

As for "BEST" watch store, I was in there recently. Yes, basement is dedicated to used but woefully lacking in vintage. Remember seeing an Enicar with a generic crown and a Breitling 806 with a cruddy dial - both having not so cheap prices!

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Congrats on the watch and the trip, OP.

This just reminds me how .... they are at presentation. Could easily walk past those GS thinking they're Invictas in a mall window. Indeed Swatch stuff is better presented here... sigh.
Wish I could find a real vintage/pre-owned watch store there - pretty sure they exist and have some really nice models, but are hidden behind unwillingness to advertise themselves and the language barrier.

·
Registered
21,092 Posts
Very nice! I'm actually in Tokyo right now (well, not right now, I'm in Kyoto, but I'll be back in Tokyo on Monday), so I'll have to check some of these places out. I did see a ton of sweet looking vintage watches in the Antiques Mall in Ginza, but not knowing anything about vintage watches, I didn't know what was a good deal or not, or what was genuine or not.

·
Registered
9,565 Posts
Well,I was in Japan in February and ended up with 3 watches...

Anyway just to add things up a bit to your post

Bic,labi,yodobashi has a special offer for visa credit card,you get another 5% off the price

If you're looking for divers strap,check out the strap section of those big electronic shops,got a simple black rubber strap for my SARB065 for 1800 yen (it's shown on attached pic)

If you happen to be in Ginza,do check these shops; they're on the main street (Chuo-dori) around Ginza 5-6-7 Chome (Wako is on the 4th Chome) on the opposite side of the huge Uniqlo shop

Seiko boutique (they had Credor repeater on display)

Swatch brands boutique (those elevators go directly to the boutique of each brands,cool

Do check the pre owned dealers too,there are evance,rasin,moonphase,brand off etc2 there...there's also a shop selling FP Journe on the same side as the Seiko boutique (Chronometer bleu anyone??)

And if you're in Narita area,there's a Seiko outlet in Shisui premium outlet complex (around 20 mins by bus from the airport),they had lots of tunas,lots of Astrons,around 5-6 GSes and some watches that I photographed on Feb 21 (taking pic of the alpinist was difficult,they also have SARB033-035 duo when I went there)

Make sure you get a coupon from the information centre to get an extra discounts on the shops

They also have a Gshock outlet shop on the other side of the complex and Citizen outlet shop next to Seiko

·
Registered
4,545 Posts
Great watch and experience! I'm planning a GS quartz junket real soon for myself.

I go to Japan once or twice a year and spend at least half a day doing the watch shopping routine. The big camera stores with their immediate tax refund and credit card discounts make it pretty irresistible. I almost grabbed a Rolex Milgauss blue dial, brand new from Bic for under $6000USD (exchange rates and discounts all applied). Walked away with an Orient and watch case just so I wouldn't go home empty handed.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.