WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Spotted these on Touch of Modern today. Seems like an astounding number of features for the money, so my 'if it sounds too good to be true it probably is' alarm is going off.

Still, the value end of the market is getting better all the time, so would be interested if anyone else has encountered these :

Van Speyk DW11.BL
$169 USD on ToM.

— Automatic movement
— Caliber SPS19
— White dial
— Case size: 42mm
— Case depth: 12mm
— Stainless steel case
— High quality leather strap
— Sapphire glass
— See trough caseback
— Date function
— Day-date function
— Moonphase
— Roman index
— 5 ATM water resistant
— Van Speyk logo on strap
— Van Speyk logo on case
— Van Speyk logo on rotor
— Blue screws in movement

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

Van Speyk AZ11.BL
$139 USD on ToM.

— Automatic Movement
— Caliber SPS03
— Black Dial
— Case Size: 42mm
— Case Depth: 12mm
— Stainless Steel Case
— High Quality Leather Strap
— Sapphire Glass
— See Through Caseback
— Date Function
— Extra Hour Function
— Roman Index
— 5 ATM Water Resistant
— Van Speyk Logo On Strap
— Van Speyk Logo On Case
— Van Speyk Logo On Rotor
— Blue Screws In Movement

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

Van Speyk Website :- Van Speyk

·
Registered
721 Posts
I'd be dubious of the quality when they're not listing correct specs: the first watch is listed as a 'moon phase' but the pic clearly shows it has a day night dial at 6.

·
Premium Member
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'd be dubious of the quality when they're not listing correct specs: the first watch is listed as a 'moon phase' but the pic clearly shows it has a day night dial at 6.
Agreed, although some of that may just be up to translation errors / misunderstanding of what the complication is called in English.

·
Registered
11,418 Posts
I would definitely say too good to be true. While the quartz models are a Swiss Rhonda, the automatic watches are definitely a cheap Chinese movement. I found essentially the same movement (an Asia SPS01) in a Cartier watch copy on a replica site for even less money.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I love Chinese mechanical watches more than any other kind of watch, but this is what we call a "Germasian." A Chinese-built and Chinese-powered watch wrapped in a veneer of European sensibility to convey confidence in the product.

They might even be perfectly fine​ watches for the money, but there's nothing Dutch about them aside from the bogus back story invoking some hero.

·
Premium Member
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Fair cop re the faux-European-ness of it.

But to be fair, I couldn't give a rats whether the watch claims to be from Holland, China, Yugoslavia or Timbuktu - Like many on this forum, I'm not beholden to geo-prejudice*

I'd just love to know if the movement is reliable and reasonably well assembled and whether the build quality on the rest of the watch is OK.

May have to just take a punt and see what happens. Worst case scenario I'm down a couple hundred bucks.

*The only geo-prejudice I have when it comes to watches the opposite of many people's - I view Swiss movements/watches as having a (in my opinion) largely unjustifiable price premium.

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
There's no shortcut to the basic price point to get something decent at entry level in a machanical watch. The total cost paid is too low and profit margins to slim to permit it. Buying something like this is bound to set one up for disappointment. At best, you'll end up with something of comparable quality to Sea-Gull with considerable room to be far more disappointing.... I'm sure the quartz offerings are fine for what they are. Maybe they all are.

But who wants to buy a Chinese watch wrapped in European faux lore? Give me a Seiko or Orient that are admirable for what they are, not what they are trying to seem like like they are.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
One of the models says "Moonphase" even on the dial, but it clearly shows a day/night indicator. This is not just a translation thing, it's pretending to be something it's not. (Or they really don't know, which is worse. ;) )

BTW the Dutch language setting also doesn't work on their site so I'm not sure what they even call it in Dutch.

In this price range I'd much rather go for something that's actually Chinese and (relatively) tried and tested; Sea-Gull, Parnis et al.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts