WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.

I am trying to decide on my first luxury watch.
I have narrowed down the choices to these:
All pics are stock manufacturer photos.

Breitling Seawolf Yellow dial
Speedy Pro
Breitling Super Avenger
POXL

I am an engineer that wears business casual 4 days/week (casual Fridays). I wear a suit maybe 5 times a year so I don't feel I need a dressy watch.

These are the current watches in my rotation.

I also have this Magrette incoming

I like watches that stand out, less common, but the name is recognizable.
Which you pick?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
I just wouldn't spend fairly big bucks for my first expensive watch on yellow. Makes me feel like yelling TAXI!

·
Registered
619 Posts
My choice would be the PO, with the Speedy a close second.

i also work in engineering/business casual, so keep that in mind when conditioning these bids. :)

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Tough choice! I have-had a few of these. If you want a chrono and have the build to pull it off, the SA over the Speedy all day long. Most dont realize how nicely detailed the SA is. Since I've had a PO, I'd go with the Seawolf but probably blue or gray. All are great watches.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Out of your selections I'd be torn between the seawolf and the speedy. A darker dial seawolf is my grail watch, but the yellow doesn't have the same effect on me.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Breitling Seawolf Yellow dial - A little too limiting in my opinion with the all yellow dial and too similar to your Orange dial piece.
Speedy Pro - The most versitile of your choices in my opinion, can be dressed up but also sporty enough for casual wear. Recognizable
Breitling Super Avenger - similar in style to some of your other pieces- doesn't separate itself enough from your current collection
POXL - Sporty, but can also be a slight bit more dressed up with a SS bracelet - if you want it to stand out just a bit more, go with the orange numbered version - adds just a bit of color without going overboard.

Out of the 4, I like the PO and the Speedy, with the speedy being a little more "dressy", if you can even say that due to it's 42 mm size and presence as compared to the PO. I have an older PO and love it. I've had about 8 different Breitlings in the past and loved them all, but I prefer there older stylings. See my signature of my BB.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
C'mon Gordon Ramsey rocks the yellow BLing all the time :) I could always compromise and get this model.

It's too bad it's $1400 more than the yellow dial.

That Orient looks nice but I already have a couple Japanese movements. I am looking for something Swiss.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
519 Posts
For my money I'd pick the SA with the Speedy as my second choice. IMO Breitling has a lot more wrist presence than Omega. If you do decide on one of the Omegas buy used. There is never any shortage of them for sale.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
I'm also an engineer.

I think you'd be unhappy wearing the Breitlings. Too big, too thick, too busy, and too showy.

The Omegas are okay but in the 5k price range, I'd be patient and wait for a nice Cal. 321 Speedmaster or late 60's Seamaster 300.
Much cooler than a new 3570.50/PO, and they'll hold their value better.

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
Yellow? Yeccch
You have a handfull of divers already, unless you dive for a living do you need more?
The SA, well who needs a dive chrono? The bezel is too blingy. Navitimer is a better choice if you want Breitling, IMO.
The Pro would fill a few holes in your collection (Handwind, full fleged tool chronowith with a tachymetre), subtle, and PROS ARE JUST COOL)

Still, I wonder if you couldn't use a less sporty watch. A Datejust or Aqua Terra maybe?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I am an engineer as well, and I have also been looking at some of these since my fiance has offered to get me a nice watch to commemorate our wedding.

I'd prefer one of the Omegas. The Planet Ocean reminds me of my past BMWs--it just feels solid and tactile. I think it would suit a mechanical engineer very well. The Speedy Pro is the pick for the aerospace engineer. I love the domed crystal and am leaning towards getting the 3572.50. I love looking at movements through display backs.

I don't really care for Breitlings. They make so many flashy watches, and I feel the bezel design is a little too delicate. I suppose this is the marketing working, but I only see those as appropriate for professional pilots.

This isn't going to help with the "too many choices" theme, but you may want to look at the Grand Seiko Spring Drive watches. The movement design is fascinating. I'm tempted to forego my display back requirement for the SBGE001 GMT, especially with the exchange rate as favorable as it is now. I just wish I could find one to try on.

·
Registered
857 Posts
out of these watches
my order of preference:
1) breitling super avenger but on a strap
2) omega PO
3) speedy on strap
4) seawolf but not yellow

1 - 20 of 23 Posts