·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
I am new to the watch industry, but dont mind learning something new everyday,

There is many Asian Movements or Chinese movement as I read through the forums,
what confuses me is:
when we say Chinese ETA copy, 2836 or 7750, we mean the same " Asian movement"?
or Asian movement is other quality?
Shaghai and Lionging, are the movement factories in China? they do copy of ETA or their own movements?

I want to buy some watches but I see different copied movements, and lost on what is good and what is not?

Could anyone help?
Thanks

·
Registered
Speedmaster coaxial on Forstner Komfit
1,882 Posts
Have a look at the Chinese watch industry wiki, linked at the top of the list of threads. That should clear things up.

·
Banned
8,921 Posts
Hello
I am new to the watch industry, but dont mind learning something new everyday,

There is many Asian Movements or Chinese movement as I read through the forums,
what confuses me is:
or Asian movement is other quality?
Shaghai and Lionging, are the movement factories in China? they do copy of ETA or their own movements?

I want to buy some watches but I see different copied movements, and lost on what is good and what is not?

Could anyone help?
Thanks
Whenever 'Asian' is used on this forum, it means Chinese as opposed to Japanese.
As mentioned, the wiki has all the info you require and the resources section has posts on most of the movements found in Chinese watches.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Whenever 'Asian' is used on this forum, it means Chinese as opposed to Japanese.
As mentioned, the wiki has all the info you require and the resources section has posts on most of the movements found in Chinese watches.

Thanks for the information, its very helpful and cleared some things up,
In the Chinese market, I have noticed Asian ETA, and other SWISS ETA made in China which is more expensive than Asian, what is this movement? swiss parts assembled in china or just good copy of real eta? any idea please
could you tell what movement is used from image or this is hard?

Thanks

·
Banned
8,921 Posts
Thanks for the information, its very helpful and cleared some things up,
In the Chinese market, I have noticed Asian ETA, and other SWISS ETA made in China which is more expensive than Asian, what is this movement? swiss parts assembled in china or just good copy of real eta? any idea please
could you tell what movement is used from image or this is hard?

Thanks
If it is Swiss, it is not made in China. ETA is a Swiss company that makes Swiss watch movements. Any movements made in China are Chinese; either copies or their own designs. As I said before Asian means Chines in this respect. Pricing means nothing; it's only what a seller wants to get for his wares. They think that throwing around the Swiss word or ETA will get them more money.

If a movement is named ETA 2824 it is a Swiss made one. If it is named ST2130 it is Chinese made. There are no Chinese ETA anything movements.

You are probably confused with some of the older Sea0Gull watches that have actual Swiss ETA movements in them. Those movements were made in Switzerland and sold to Sea-Gull. The sellers of those watches always ask more for them.

We can usually tell what movement is in a watch with a nice clear photo. Best to have two or three shots if it is an auto so we can see everything that is hidden by the rotor :)

·
Mod. Russian, China Mech.
18,525 Posts
Yes. On some forums it is common to say "Asian" but the meaning is always "Chinese". Using a different word does not mean a difference in quality or origin.
Shaghai and Lionging, are the movement factories in China?
Yes. The Shanghai Watch Factory is located in Shanghai and the Liaoning Watch Factory is located in Dandong.

they do copy of ETA or their own movements?
Both. Up until about 10 years ago they were making only Chinese-designed movements. More recently they have started making clones of ETA movements.

The 7750 has been copied probably because a suitable Chinese design for automatic chronograph with day/date did not exist. The 2824/2836 has been copied probably just because an internationally well-known design is easier to sell. 6497/6498 meets the modern demand for a big pocket-watch movement for use in big wristwatches.

Chinese tourbillons are all Chinese designed and there are many other Chinese designed movements that continue to be made, especially where they offer features not available in Swiss movements.

ETA-clone movements tend to be good quality whether they are made by Shanghai, Liaoning, Hangzhou or Sea-Gull.

A few years ago the Liaoning fast-beat 7750 copy had a poorer reputation but they now use it in their own brand 'Peacock' rattrapante chronograph so the quality is probably improved. However I have not read any recent reviews.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes. On some forums it is common to say "Asian" but the meaning is always "Chinese". Using a different word does not mean a difference in quality or origin.
Yes. The Shanghai Watch Factory is located in Shanghai and the Liaoning Watch Factory is located in Dandong.

Both. Up until about 10 years ago they were making only Chinese-designed movements. More recently they have started making clones of ETA movements.

The 7750 has been copied probably because a suitable Chinese design for automatic chronograph with day/date did not exist. The 2824/2836 has been copied probably just because an internationally well-known design is easier to sell. 6497/6498 meets the modern demand for a big pocket-watch movement for use in big wristwatches.

Chinese tourbillons are all Chinese designed and there are many other Chinese designed movements that continue to be made, especially where they offer features not available in Swiss movements.

ETA-clone movements tend to be good quality whether they are made by Shanghai, Liaoning, Hangzhou or Sea-Gull.

A few years ago the Liaoning fast-beat 7750 copy had a poorer reputation but they now use it in their own brand 'Peacock' rattrapante chronograph so the quality is probably improved. However I have not read any recent reviews.
Thanks for this information guys, its so helpful and your expertise in this field will help me alot,

I am about to buy some watches around 50, but the issue is as I said i have no good knowledge in it, specially the copy ones,
could you provide me with your contact, so I can email you the movements i will buy, and you can advice me
or if you have any instant messenger so I can explain to you freely. I dont prefer to share such information on the forums,
and I will also need your assistant in the future too.

please advice

Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts