WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you have a precious collector's item or a new watch in pristine condition and you are simply too scared to expose your beautiful timepiece to the risk of getting scratches and all banged up? Or have you discovered the secret to savior vivre and are wearing your most beloved timepiece no matter what? Any tips and tricks to avoid scratches?

I recently had my Jaeger professionally serviced - and polished - by JLC in Le Sentier, Switzerland. Now I am not only newly in love with the timepiece but I am also scared to death to scratch it up as the watch's beauty absolutely relies on an immaculately polished case. So what should I do? Lock this beauty up and admire it from afar, wear it on very special occasions only and with utmost care, or sell it off now - after all it won't get into better condition than it is currently - and avoid all the stress? Any thoughts? Picture below. Do you have any watches that you are too scared to wear?

Watch Analog watch Rectangle Clock Watch accessory

·
Premium Member
39,645 Posts
Nope I wear all of mine.

IMHO, it sort of defeats the purpose to buy a watch and not wear and enjoy it?

If something marks it up, this is why God created the Dremel tool and lapping paste.........

·
Premium Member
2,121 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,723 Posts
No, all watches will get a little wear love. You can pick up stainless/titanium repair tools for fairly cheap. Cape Cod clothes for polished stuff. Just remember to follow the grain of the metal. My stuff stays pretty like new looking. ;).

Reactions: Commisar

·
Registered
Rolex 126200, UN San Marco, 2 Casios and 1 Timex
1,073 Posts
I understand your predicament. Been there and did not enjoy the situation.

I am in the camp of wearing watches not keeping in a safe or equivalent.

Everyone is different. Some quality watches look like true beaters when they are sold. Of interest the price is discounted but not as much as you would think.

Some people like to purchase luxury beaters that they don’t have to worry about.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Fear nothing but fear itself.

Sent from a hand-held calling device.
Transcribed using a dip pen and ink on papyrus.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Do you have a precious collector's item or a new watch in pristine condition and you are simply too scared to expose your beautiful timepiece to the risk of getting scratches and all banged up? Or have you discovered the secret to savior vivre and are wearing your most beloved timepiece no matter what? Any tips and tricks to avoid scratches?

I recently had my Jaeger professionally serviced - and polished - by JLC in Le Sentier, Switzerland. Now I am not only newly in love with the timepiece but I am also scared to death to scratch it up as the watch's beauty absolutely relies on an immaculately polished case. So what should I do? Lock this beauty up and admire it from afar, wear it on very special occasions only and with utmost care, or sell it off now - after all it won't get into better condition than it is currently - and avoid all the stress? Any thoughts? Picture below. Do you have any watches that you are too scared to wear?

View attachment 16121062
Oooh that is a scratch magnet if I ever saw one. I would put it in a vacum sealed box and bury it in a vault to keep it safe. Pull it out for your daughter's wedding and ask to be buried with your pristine looking watch.
JK.

If you are not going to wear it, sell it and buy something you will. There is such a thing as having a watch that is out of your league, you know?

·
Registered
230 Posts
You're not going to fully enjoy your piece if you're scared to wear it out. It's better to sell it and have cash in hand than something not being used/enjoyed.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
My first automatic watch was a dress automatic. I was a teenager, I wore it a lot...you can do the math. it looked battle-scarred in a few years. It's the reason I veered toward dive watches & occasionally field & pilot watches - less concern about the daily travails of a device worn on the wrist. I wouldn't buy a watch unless I want to wear it a lot.

I can see your concern - it's a gorgeous watch. However, it's hard to enjoy if you don't wear it.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Wear your watches. You only have one life as far as we know as of today, what are you saving it for?

·
Registered
984 Posts
I tend not to wear my higher end pieces, with bracelets, to work because I work part of the time on SS surfaces. SS on SS lends to a lot of scratching. I chose to swap some that I was resistant to wear to either rubber or NATOs to protect the bracelets. Typically I wear my higher end pieces when I have my days off running errands.
You do you and do what you are most comfortable with. If it doesn't get ANY wrist time, then it is time to rethink your desire to have a piece ( they can always be repaired).
The only exceptions in my collection are the family heirlooms that are very old.

Reactions: TimeWellSpent

·
Registered
751 Posts
OP: That is a beautiful watch. I for one would wear it like I wear all my watches, but that is how I enjoy my ownership experience. You may not get enjoyment in the same way and that’s fine. What I wouldn’t want, and I don’t think you do either, is to feel stressed. IMO, ownership of a nice watch should be fun/enjoyable, not stressful.

Maybe this will help…Scratches, light ones, are easily fixed by the owner with different polishing cloths and/or compounds. Your example appears to be pretty straight forward since it’s all polished vs. a mixture of different finishes (I.e. brushes, satin, polished, etc,…).

Worst case, if you happen to dent the case, it can be laser welded and brought back to spec without loosing a lot of case material…actually you won’t loose any material.

I guess what I’m trying to convey is, short of running over it with your car, normal everyday scratches and even dents are repairable without ruining the watch.

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
I'll take it off your hands.

Reactions: TimeWellSpent

·
Premium Member
Rolex YG Sub, MG Green/Black, DSSD JC, SD43 Mk I, PAM176, 1305, Omega PP, SeaMaster300, MoonPhase
1,617 Posts
I treat my YG Sub as a special watch, which it is to me, and it gets less wrist time than my SS pieces. I am fine with that arrangement.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts