WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took a bit of a gamble on this Hamilton last Friday. A "Buy it Now" a little over $100. The seller's pics were
pretty bad, and the listing said "Vintage Man's Hamilton Automatic Wristwatch Running Black Dial" It looked like a K-350,
but I wasn't 100% sure, but thought, hey, why not?

The K-350 was only made one year, 1954; Hamilton's first year for Swiss movements and automatics. 10k gold bezel
over a stainless back.

The case and dial are decent, though it looks like someone removed the lume from some of the markers, and the
lume on the hands is horrible, but all in all, I can't really complain. Black dials on these are well,... scarce.

The best part of the deal is that it came from a pawn shop, and that's a first for me.

The seller's pic, then, one I shot this morning.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,673 Posts
Very stylish watch with a great dial and case. I never would have guessed from the sellers photo.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Absolutely stunning!

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Movement is a Hamilton 661, based on a Kurth Freres (Certina) movement. Perhaps where the "K" designation in this

series of watches comes from?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
Nice watch.

1954 was the first year for Automatic hamilton watches. I think the K is just a Hamilton designation denoting an Automatic watch. It could mean Kinetic. I doubt it is due to the the Certina movement as the first member in the series (K300) had an Eterna movement.

So I woulds assume if it is a K350 then it has a 10kt gold bezel(case) with a stainless steel back?

I am looking at a K-502 myself

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Correct. The case is 10k over a stainless back. I was not aware they used Eterna movements this early in production, I'll have to research this further.

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
I am surprised that a pawn shop sold it so cheap. Scrap gold value even in 10kt is worth more then you paid.

Well I am glad you rescued it and it was not scrapped.

Yes Hamilton used an Eterna movement in the K-300

Here is a write up on it

http://www.hamiltonchronicles.com/2013/11/1954-automatic-k-300-cld.html

This blogger is a very knowledgeable with Hamilton watches

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Best thing I ever bought from a pawn shop. Of course, they probably gave someone $10. for it, so they're happy.
Good luck with your K-502, they're a good looking watch.
I learned a bit from my research this morning about the assigned numbers: first number is case metal, second number being the back metal. I could guess
the third may be the model number in the series?
eg. K-100 being 18k, K-200, 14K, K-300, 10K and so on.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts