WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
I think you'll have the most selection of quality tools from Ofrei: Bergeon Tools

Be prepared to spend a lot of money on tools; quality of the construction is a huge issue when dealing with watchmaking and watch repair. A screw driver that loses its shape after a few swivels or a spring bar tool that bends or shatters its fork while trying to pop out a bar is not uncommon. Buy quality and be well served (this unfortunately means mucho moolah).

Unfortunately some of the reviews for the tool kit you posted seem to indicate quality issues. Look to Switzerland for some of the best watch tools (Burgeon is the most popular).

You might want to consider re-posting this in the Watchmaking subforum. They might have some tips for where you can buy used tools, or at least give you a more focused outlook as to what tools you need right now.

·
Registered
333 Posts
pandamonium is right. Bergeon makes great tools. Especially cheap screwdrivers are terrible.

But, if you just want to open a case, remove some links, change hands and a dial and maybe replace a movement, a cheap set will get the job done. If you just want to do some small things, I think that of course the expensive stuff is better, but it's not all that necessary.

Especially if you are new customising, like with any hobby, there's no need to get the top quality stuff. Maybe you'll tire it of it after 1 job and you'll be putting all the expensive stuff on eBay and you'll take a bigger loss than $30. And should you like it, you can always buy some expensive stuff.
I've taken a few 6497 and 6498's apart with a cheap set before moving on to better equipment. It worked fairly well.

Just like I wouldn't recommend a 2 grand guitar to someone who wants to learn to play the guitar.

·
Registered
277 Posts

The best set I have is one from the TimeZone Level I class. It is primarily Bergeon tools, but when taking the class, you get the tools at a bundled price.

I do have a review of a simple kit posted at Minus4Plus6.com - Cool Watch Stuff but for ongoing usage, I would get the Level I toolkit from OFrei.... (The class is good as well)

-Sheldon

1 - 5 of 5 Posts