WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Administrator
Test Entry
5,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Much as there is a difference between the performance of an ]Aprilia V4 and a Royal Enfield single, donning the proper timepiece is a necessity in the world of professional motorsports. Certain watch elements are handy for spectators wishing to monitor laptimes, including accuracy, durability and readability. Stopwatch functions (which most non-moon phase chronographs have integrated), sapphire crystals (for the scratch resistance necessary in harsh trackside environments) and reliable illumination (for night and/or endurance races) are critical. Whether sprinting the quarter mile or tackling a 24-hour attempt, here are the top 10 watches for motorsport enthusiasts.

Read More Here...

·
Registered
9,529 Posts
The Chopard "Mille Miglia" is a nice motorsport watch:

Reactions: georges zaslavsky

·
Registered
732 Posts
Hmm, not entirely sure about that being the definitive list. In the affordables world, some nice race style watches to be found also. I have the CW C70 Ascari as well as C70 Rapide, both COSC Certified. Both very racy. The Belmoto Track Day is, I think, a very beautiful watch and the enclosed rotating bezel is a nice touch. Orient offers the beautiful SpeedTech (my brother has the auto version of it) and one can't go wrong with this version of the Tissot V8.

Attachments

Reactions: flu

·
Registered
9,184 Posts
Left out #1, Eberhard - Chronograph Tazio Nuvolari
Indeed you are correct sir!

Especially the one of the 90s with the full turtle.

These are the 10 best ? Really ?
Let's see: the Certina, Graham, B&M, Tissot the Rolex with blue dial are plainly hideous, also that Omega Speedmaster is seriously ugly.

A better choices would have been the Autavia Cal.12 :

The 1963 Carrera:

The Speedmaster MkII racind dial:

The Primero 1969:

The Seiko Bullhead:

And finally the Porsche design Andretti wore in the 1978 season:

All more serious choices than the Certina or the surf Daytona.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Isn't the certina precidrive quartz? Not that I wouldn't have one, but just to clarify?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
13,464 Posts
For me it would be the
1960 Enicar Jet Graph
1965 Heuer Autavia Jochen Rindt ref 2446
1966 Omega Speedmaster 105012
1969 Heuer Carrera James Hunt ref 2447 NS
1969 Heuer Autavia 2446 GMT
1950 Gallet Jim Clark Chrono
1968 Heuer Carrera Dato 2547s
1968 Heuer Camaro ref 7220
1974 Heuer Silverstone
1970 Wakmann Datocompax

·
Registered
302 Posts
see pics for affordable quartz

Attachments

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have to be honest, I don’t think that is a very good list. A lap timer, even when called a stop watch, doesn’t really belong on the list, especially when there are more effective in car times from the likes of Aim, Vbox, Racepak, Pegasus, etc....

I think the watches make more of a statement about the wearers passion. That would allow the Daytona, Monaco, Formula 1, maybe even speedmaster, and some others on the list... But what about Porsche Design? Or Oris F1 (Williams/Mclaren), or The rare Tag Heuer Senna edition? What about IWC’s Hamilton edition Ingenieur?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts