WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

What is your favourite feature/complication?

• Chronograph

• Dive Bezel

• Countdown Bezel

• Alarm (e.g. Memovox)

• Minute Repeater

• GMT

• World Timer

• Date

• Date with independent hour hand

• Annual Calendar

• Perpetual Calendar

• Day/night Indicator

• Sunrise/sunset Indicator

• Moonphase

• Equation of Time

• Small Seconds (actually an anti-complication, but nevermind)

• Dead-beat Seconds

• Power Reserve Indicator

• Tourbillon

• Ultra-thin Case

• Slide Rule

• Helium Escape Valve

• No Complications

• Day of Week

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Part of the watch collecting journey is falling in and out of love with complications. At various points I've been obsessed with chronographs, GMTs, dead-beats, and perpetual calendars. Lately, I've found that a three-hander with date is about all I need for day to day life, but that doesn't stop me from appreciating a good complication.

Here's a poll. Did I miss out your favourite complication? Tell me in the comments.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I will take a three hander with no date, a two hander with no date and even a one hander with no date. I do own a sub second no date watch so that gets my vote.

A rotating bezel is a gadget. I have one but the petite second hand is even more useful.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I lean predominantly towards divers, so of course I like a nice dive bezel. I often put them to use, too.
I also prefer a day and date complication, or at least a date, on any watch. I appreciate that some people prefer a clean dial but if a watch model is available with or without date I will go date pretty much every time.

Other than that, I do like chronographs and slide rule bezels are neat.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I lean predominantly towards divers, so of course I like a nice dive bezel. I often put them to use, too.
I also prefer a day and date complication, or at least a date, on any watch. I appreciate that some people prefer a clean dial but if a watch model is available with or without date I will go date pretty much every time.

Other than that, I do like chronographs and slide rule bezels are neat.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
I forgot the day of the week complication existed! Added.

A date is usually a compromise in the design elegance of a 3-hander, but it's just too useful to pass up. I find a date window at 6 is usually the cleanest solution.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Three hander + date get it done for me. Also like the look of a GMT, or maybe just like several watches that happen to have that complication? While your survey shows that chrono functionality is the top vote getter at the moment, I am not a fan - too much going and a function that I rarely use.

Too each his/her own.....

·
Premium Member
3,994 Posts
Definitely a fan of the clean no date look yet I voted for my favorite complication - the chronograph. I happen to own two perpetual calendar watches - they're the cats meow most months..

·
Registered
847 Posts
A small seconds with a power reserve indicator and a minimalistic dive bezel.
That's would be the holy trinity of complications for me. Asymmetrical case and a blue dial and I'm sold.
Maybe this is the one I should get‽
Screenshot_20210322-195408__01.jpg

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Chronograph would be the top choice, small second dress watch is another preferred style for me.. some sort of calendar would be the other preference but not all 3 at the same time.

Also annual calendar would do it for me. Perpetual calendar seems excessive if we have to adjust our watch twice a year for daylight saves anyhow.

Being thin is also high on my list, but tends to get compromised.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Being a mechanical engineer with a wicked equipment fetish I love all of the complications (except for day night indicator, that just seems dumb.)

·
Registered
9,256 Posts
I like all complications. I mean, this is a watch forum, right!

Reactions: kramamurthy

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Tough to get to 3 but I went with "No Complications," "Tourbillon," and "Small Seconds." A couple others were tempting, such as Moonphase and Equation of Time

Reactions: Inca Block

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Three hander + date get it done for me. Also like the look of a GMT, or maybe just like several watches that happen to have that complication? While your survey shows that chrono functionality is the top vote getter at the moment, I am not a fan - too much going and a function that I rarely use.

Too each his/her own.....
Agree! If not for the Speedmaster, I'm not sure I'd wear a chrono so often. It adds a lot of complexity that usually isn't well integrated on the dial, as well as lots of thickness which I dislike.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Definitely a fan of the clean no date look yet I voted for my favorite complication - the chronograph. I happen to own two perpetual calendar watches - they're the cats meow most months..
Chronograph would be the top choice, small second dress watch is another preferred style for me.. some sort of calendar would be the other preference but not all 3 at the same time.

Also annual calendar would do it for me. Perpetual calendar seems excessive if we have to adjust our watch twice a year for daylight saves anyhow.

Being thin is also high on my list, but tends to get compromised.
Annual calendars and QPs are really interesting mechanically, but even if I could easily afford one, I'd think quite hard about it - if you rotate through your watches regularly and don't believe in winders, I imagine it would be more of a hassle than it's worth.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts